KORG Gadget coming to Mac

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Heater

12 Jan 2017

This is awesome news.
From iOS to Mac. KORG Gadget, the all-in-one music production software, appears for Mac soon. - See more at: http://www.korg.com/us/news/2017/011202 ... n5pZ0.dpuf
More details here:

http://www.korg.com/us/news/2017/011202/

O1B

12 Jan 2017

Just saw....wow! Gimme a lil rMBP Touch-Bar action, please!

chimp_spanner

12 Jan 2017

Beat me to it!! Also, anyone else find it interesting that this is the first non PH app to support the Allihoopa platform? I wonder what this means for Korg and Props, given that Allihoopa is technically a separate entity now?

Really excited for audio support on iOS, assuming this new upgrade is universal. It'd pretty much be the only app I need...unless the plugins make it to AUv3 format and are available in Cubasis.

And dare I dream about Gadget REs? I mean take the keyboards off and they're the right size...

tiker01

12 Jan 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:Beat me to it!! Also, anyone else find it interesting that this is the first non PH app to support the Allihoopa platform? I wonder what this means for Korg and Props, given that Allihoopa is technically a separate entity now?

Really excited for audio support on iOS, assuming this new upgrade is universal. It'd pretty much be the only app I need...unless the plugins make it to AUv3 format and are available in Cubasis.

And dare I dream about Gadget REs? I mean take the keyboards off and they're the right size...
Hm interesting to see Allihoopa in the list. If the iOS version gets Allihoopa integration too than one could export from gadget then import to Reason. Although one can export gadget projects as Ableton projects where each clip will be there separately.

Interesting times anyway. Lets see if Reason can benefit directly from Korg Gadget like Re-s.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

chimp_spanner

12 Jan 2017

tiker01 wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:Beat me to it!! Also, anyone else find it interesting that this is the first non PH app to support the Allihoopa platform? I wonder what this means for Korg and Props, given that Allihoopa is technically a separate entity now?

Hm interesting to see Allihoopa in the list. If the iOS version gets Allihoopa integration too than one could export from gadget then import to Reason. Although one can export gadget projects as Ableton projects where each clip will be there separately.

Interesting times anyway. Lets see if Reason can benefit directly from Korg Gadget like Re-s.
Yeah currently for exporting I just use drop box, as you can do stem exports that way. But not individual clips, which tbh would be way more useful!

miscend

12 Jan 2017

This is serious competiton for Reason, I wonder what the price will be.

Gadget is kinda like the old Reason prior to version 6 -before it became a full on DAW with audio recording.

fieldframe
RE Developer

13 Jan 2017

miscend wrote:This is serious competiton for Reason, I wonder what the price will be.

Gadget is kinda like the old Reason prior to version 6 -before it became a full on DAW with audio recording.
I've thought the same, that Korg Gadget was the "Reason of iOS." I've wanted the Gadgets as REs for awhile now; I hope their new VST versions make them more likely to get ported than less!

Data_Shrine

13 Jan 2017

If the price is right this is gonna be hugely popular

Lizard

14 Jan 2017

Korg Gadget is a neat software program and a very nice collection of Gadgets. I own just about everything now with exception to the latest Korg iWaveStation. I've been a big fan of Korg products for years as they make great stuff.

Gadget is great on devices (28 or so now) but has a long way way to go, even with adding audio recording devices in the future, to offer comparable capabilities to Reason. It is still in its infancy. I would say the "spirit" for which Reason was originally created runs deep in this product. Self contained. Designed to link to other products through MIDI, WIST and Ableton Link. I think they will keep it this way.

I do not forsee them porting these to Reason Re which only slows the sales of Gadget. As it is we aren't seeing a move to port them to VST which is an even bigger market which may be because iOS offers better protection of their software. This could be the only enticing thing to come to Reason. I still think they would prefer Gadget. Thankfully it works great already with Reason through Ableton Link. I'd shit my pants though if they ported to PC. :shock:

selig
RE Developer

14 Jan 2017

I think the main appeal will be to current Gadget users (such as myself) in the Mac world, where you want to be able to continue a tune you started on your pad when you get back to your main studio. Seamless bi-directional sharing between OS X and iOS is something I've wanted Reason to support on some level for years now, Thor being the only example of where that's possible at present.
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

14 Jan 2017

I don't know if I find it "interesting," but it's exciting :D
Of course, it was mentioned before when Allihoopa launched that they were open to other apps supporting it.
And cool that Korg acknowledges it as "latest technology"
"Supports the latest technology including Allihoopa, Ableton Link, and Bluetooth MIDI"
Should come in handy! I'm looking forward to seeing what Gadget users drop to the site.
And maybe now I will get Korg Gadget for Mac!

fieldframe
RE Developer

16 Jan 2017

I'll accept a lack of RE Gadgets if they add Rewire support to the Mac version.

I'll accept lack of both if they improve the sequencer and add a clip launcher. :)

firejan82

20 Jan 2017

this could be a mistake but he said it will be compatible with Reason

fieldframe
RE Developer

20 Jan 2017

Whoa, weird! It's even the second one he says as he rattles them off, "Ableton, or Reason, or Logic..." Seems like it must be a mistake, but the guy's an official KORG rep, so you'd think he'd be well trained on the product.

According to the KORG announcement, the Gadgets will be included as "AU, VST, AAX, and NKS" versions (what the heck is NKS?). So unless they were planning on announcing RE later and the rep let something slip, it must be either a mistake or maybe he's just referring to Ableton Link.

Actually, now that I think about it, Ableton Link is the most likely explanation. Though I hope they are at least considering RE ports for a future release.

zumBeispiel

21 Jan 2017

fieldframe wrote:
what the heck is NKS?
Native Kontrol Standard (NKS)
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... eries/nks/
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 22 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Heater

21 Jan 2017

Looks fab.

SebAudio

21 Jan 2017

fieldframe wrote:Whoa, weird! It's even the second one he says as he rattles them off, "Ableton, or Reason, or Logic..." Seems like it must be a mistake, but the guy's an official KORG rep, so you'd think he'd be well trained on the product.

According to the KORG announcement, the Gadgets will be included as "AU, VST, AAX, and NKS" versions (what the heck is NKS?). So unless they were planning on announcing RE later and the rep let something slip, it must be either a mistake or maybe he's just referring to Ableton Link.

Actually, now that I think about it, Ableton Link is the most likely explanation. Though I hope they are at least considering RE ports for a future release.
I don't think there'll be RE versions. It would have happen before. Korg know the RE SDK right from the start. At Gadget launch it was already obvious that the gadgets could have been REs. And nothing happened. Making Gadgets into VST (as some gadgets are "front ends" of dedicated apps, such as Odisseyi) is far easier than making into RE. And the GUI would have to be changed because dimensions of Gadgets and RE are not the same. Too bad

vanKloot

21 Jan 2017

I guarantee he was referring to Ableton Link support, when saying you can use all your favorite Gadgets with all those DAWs. No way there is any direct file-format interchange or anything like that. I'll be surprised if there is even MIDI file import/export in Gadget.

I adore gadget on my iPad, in fact I just recently realized I can control it as an "external" set of synths, from other apps on the same device, like Fugue Machine. Super cool... create a pattern in FM, pick a gadget sound, play it, record the MIDI into Gadget, then tweak FM to come up with something complimentary but different, change instruments in Gadget, record... it's freaking amazing. Then finish it off with some Figure bits & bobs, then export all of it and pull it all together in Ableton. Super slick.

I'm definitely eager to hear what the price point on gadget Mac will be. If it's on par with Reason or Ableton, then I'll almost certainly pass on it. But if it's say sub-$100... I think I'll have a very hard time resisting the pull. Not quite sure how it would fit into my workflow, but I'm keen to find out.

vanKloot

21 Jan 2017

WTF, since when is there a free version of Gadget??

Smart I guess... but hell I bought it on launch so got it for a song anyway.
Heater wrote:

Looks fab.

fieldframe
RE Developer

21 Jan 2017

vanKloot wrote:WTF, since when is there a free version of Gadget??

Smart I guess... but hell I bought it on launch so got it for a song anyway.
Heater wrote:

Looks fab.
I think the free version just comes with Dublin and London or something like that and all the regularly bundled synths are in-app purchases.

Heater

07 Feb 2017

An update tomorrow apparently.

"Information on the Gadget for Mac will be announced tomorrow! Share the news!"

https://www.facebook.com/KORGusa/posts/ ... 05076080:0

• Information