You can Now Rent to Own plugins !?!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
pjeudy

03 Aug 2016

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

normen

03 Aug 2016

Its a thing for a while already, especially in the pro video, image editing and audio departments. ProTools is now also subscription-based.

chk071

03 Aug 2016

It's not quite "renting", or a subscription based system, it's rather partial payment. I must say, the idea is pretty awesome. Read about it on KVR earlier. The consent about this was pretty positive there, and i agree with it.
:reason: :rebirth:

pjeudy

03 Aug 2016

I think the point of this is not to keep paying for SERUM for ever and ever Like a Sub services... but it's rather like using a credit card and paying the Credit card company per month ....Maybe Minus the interest (I didn't read the fine prints) and also you can pause pay if you don't have that $9.99 for a month or so.
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

joeyluck

04 Aug 2016

Many of us have presented this idea for Rack Extensions many times only to have it shot down by so many... I guess they were afraid it would mean they wouldn't be able to own REs and everything would become subscription-based only. Many were probably just haters who didn't like the idea of Propellerhead and developers making money and others would keep saying, "Use your 30 day trial efficiently and buy something if you need it." And never seeing the benefit and need for a system like this :|

I had a poll in the PUF suggesting where 50% of people voted "no" ...even when I explained that users would still have the option to buy, it would be up to the individual developers (developers could decide if a particular RE could be rented and if so if it could be 'rent to own') and some people were still afraid of it. It was confusing.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2016

joeyluck wrote:Many of us have presented this idea for Rack Extensions many times only to have it shot down by so many... I guess they were afraid it would mean they wouldn't be able to own REs and everything would become subscription-based only. Many were probably just haters who didn't like the idea of Propellerhead and developers making money and others would keep saying, "Use your 30 day trial efficiently and buy something if you need it." And never seeing the benefit and need for a system like this :|

I had a poll in the PUF suggesting where 50% of people voted "no" ...even when I explained that users would still have the option to buy, it would be up to the individual developers (developers could decide if a particular RE could be rented and if so if it could be 'rent to own') and some people were still afraid of it. It was confusing.
I don't understand your comment about haters, I would never buy on the never never and I don't want to rent stuff, I buy out right, so Propellerhead and developers do make money !!

Also this is a funny comment others would keep saying, "Use your 30 day trial efficiently and buy something if you need it.", that's pretty good advice, why buy something you don't want?

joeyluck

04 Aug 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
I don't understand your comment about haters, I would never buy on the never never and I don't want to rent stuff, I buy out right, so Propellerhead and developers do make money !!
Not sure what you mean by "I would never buy on the never never"?
But in any case, you don't need to rent stuff when it's only an option ;)
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:Also this is a funny comment others would keep saying, "Use your 30 day trial efficiently and buy something if you need it."
The point being that it is not always about that. And another point being that it would not remove your ability to buy.

boobytrap

04 Aug 2016

this is one way to stop piracy.. everyone can use any VST. this is very future !
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Payment plans, rent to buy is a form of payment plan..

chk071

04 Aug 2016

boobytrap wrote:this is one way to stop piracy.. everyone can use any VST. this is very future !
Hmm... dunno. It'll still be very easy to just download and use a warezed version. It's rather a 3 days trial, with the option to test it further with small payments, and if you really like it, but can't afford it atm, you can do monthly, or more, payments, until you own it. I don't think it will really stop piracy, to the contrary, the big "advantage" of warez is that you can download them, for free, right now, without any further hassle. And for some, it's a downright sport to collect warezed software. I knew a guy who had several terrabyte big harddrives in his computer, just to be able to save all his warezed films, music, and software.
:reason: :rebirth:

boobytrap

04 Aug 2016

chk071 wrote:
boobytrap wrote:this is one way to stop piracy.. everyone can use any VST. this is very future !
Hmm... dunno. It'll still be very easy to just download and use a warezed version. It's rather a 3 days trial, with the option to test it further with small payments, and if you really like it, but can't afford it atm, you can do monthly, or more, payments, until you own it. I don't think it will really stop piracy, to the contrary, the big "advantage" of warez is that you can download them, for free, right now, without any further hassle. And for some, it's a downright sport to collect warezed software. I knew a guy who had several terrabyte big harddrives in his computer, just to be able to save all his warezed films, music, and software.
not 100%. maybe 30%.. some people use pirated VST even if they rich. some use pirated VST until they find the money and then buy it. they have a chance to pay monthly without interest. there are no way to stop piracy with this internet system.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

OverneathTheSkyBridg

04 Aug 2016

For people who don't have the $100 to $200 it takes to buy a plugin this rent to own idea is great. Usually all of the music gear I've ever purchased have been financed into monthly payments and this is basically no different. You're always gonna have your pirates, but some people just pirate out of necessity until they can afford it. This gives people the option to have legitimate products, and I think it would work great. Imagine using PH's RE store, selecting a bunch of REs during a sale like May Madness, and setting up a credit card for the monthly payments. Guaranteed there would be more sales if this were an option. And if the user decided not to pay or couldn't afford to, those REs could be disabled until payments resume.

selig
RE Developer

04 Aug 2016

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:For people who don't have the $100 to $200 it takes to buy a plugin this rent to own idea is great. Usually all of the music gear I've ever purchased have been financed into monthly payments and this is basically no different.
It IS different in a VERY big and important way IMO, which you mention here:
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:And if the user decided not to pay or couldn't afford to, those REs could be disabled until payments resume.
There is no installment plan for music gear that lets you start/stop the process as you are able, or allows you to rent once then come back months later and decide to purchase for the remainder of the price (or to continue renting until you're paid up).

As Joey mentions, this was suggested for REs many times by many of us and seemed to fall on deaf ears at the time… ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

pjeudy

04 Aug 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Payment plans, rent to buy is a form of payment plan..
Yes it. But I don't know uf you pay a tax every time you pay the 9.99. Or is it simply 9.99 flat fee.

platzangst

05 Aug 2016

Doesn't seem like a bad idea. I might have taken this offer up if I didn't already own Serum.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

07 Aug 2016

selig wrote:
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:For people who don't have the $100 to $200 it takes to buy a plugin this rent to own idea is great. Usually all of the music gear I've ever purchased have been financed into monthly payments and this is basically no different.
It IS different in a VERY big and important way IMO, which you mention here:
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:And if the user decided not to pay or couldn't afford to, those REs could be disabled until payments resume.
There is no installment plan for music gear that lets you start/stop the process as you are able, or allows you to rent once then come back months later and decide to purchase for the remainder of the price (or to continue renting until you're paid up).

As Joey mentions, this was suggested for REs many times by many of us and seemed to fall on deaf ears at the time… ;(
Retailers of physical gear DO have a recourse of non payments of installments by taking steps to repossess said gear, though in the physical world that's probably more of a pain in the ass than in the software world, especially the one PH has cultivated where use of products depends on a verified license and account. I could finance thousands of dollars worth of physical outboard gear and simply cancel my credit card afterwards if I wanted, thus forcing the retailer to undertake collection action against me. If I chose to drag out this process and make it as difficult as possible the retailer may likely weigh the cost of collection against their losses and decide to just say fuck it. It would definitely be a dirt bag move on my part, but in the end if I didn't give a shit about my credit rating I'd be walking away with a butt load of free shit.

But on the plugin / PH end of things if I didn't pay what I agreed to my license for these products could be suspended until I paid in full, and that's why I believe this rent to own method could be a good thing for developers of software music products across the board.

Creativemind

07 Aug 2016

joeyluck wrote: I had a poll in the PUF suggesting where 50% of people voted "no" ...even when I explained that users would still have the option to buy, it would be up to the individual developers (developers could decide if a particular RE could be rented and if so if it could be 'rent to own') and some people were still afraid of it. It was confusing.
Maybe if you'd said not 'up to the developers' rent or buy, not one or the other. That would work. So you could rent it or buy it.

In this case, a good idea would be hire purchase, so you can rent, buy or hire purchase. Hire Purchase would be a little dear, say 20% on top per month. So if a vst or Re was £9.99 or $9.99 a month, then you'd pay £1.99 or $1.99 more a month but after x amount of months, maybe 12 you owned the plug-in.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

joeyluck

07 Aug 2016

Creativemind wrote:
joeyluck wrote: I had a poll in the PUF suggesting where 50% of people voted "no" ...even when I explained that users would still have the option to buy, it would be up to the individual developers (developers could decide if a particular RE could be rented and if so if it could be 'rent to own') and some people were still afraid of it. It was confusing.
Maybe if you'd said not 'up to the developers' rent or buy, not one or the other. That would work. So you could rent it or buy it.
No I said up to the developer to offer the option to rent it in addition to buying. All of us who like the idea have stressed that the option to buy would never go away for a single RE. I just think the additional option to be able to rent should be left to the individual developers.

WongoTheSane

07 Aug 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
No I said up to the developer to offer the option to rent it in addition to buying. All of us who like the idea have stressed that the option to buy would never go away for a single RE. I just think the additional option to be able to rent should be left to the individual developers.
Installment plans? That would never work! I mean, if it did, they would do this for houses or cars. Wait...

Creativemind

07 Aug 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
Sorry misinterpreted what you said. Good idea. As long as the 'to buy' option wasn't taken away.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Faxxer

07 Aug 2016

Why a company or developer would not want to have every possible way to earn income is beyond me.

That being said I'm no fan of subscription based software .....except when it makes sense... to me, office 365 makes sense, but adobe cloud does not....sadly i have to pay for both and one is far too expensive in my humble opinion.

As for RE's being rent to own, if it increases revenue then why would anyone want to block it? In the end the end users have zero say, only the props and devs.
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

pjeudy

07 Aug 2016

Faxxer wrote:Why a company or developer would not want to have every possible way to earn income is beyond me.

That being said I'm no fan of subscription based software .....except when it makes sense... to me, office 365 makes sense, but adobe cloud does not....sadly i have to pay for both and one is far too expensive in my humble opinion.

As for RE's being rent to own, if it increases revenue then why would anyone want to block it? In the end the end users have zero say, only the props and devs.
Hi...Just in case I might miss understand you...you agree with the rent to own system is that right? And your not saying that this is a subscription service right?

Faxxer

20 Aug 2016

pjeudy wrote:
Faxxer wrote:Why a company or developer would not want to have every possible way to earn income is beyond me.

Hi...Just in case I might miss understand you...you agree with the rent to own system is that right? And your not saying that this is a subscription service right?
While I have used subscription business models in the past, I'd prefer to have rent to own where payments END at some time. I know I'm weird right? lol
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

xylyx

21 Aug 2016

I must say that if the monthly pay to own system was available, Lectric Panda would be benefitting from multiple RE purchases from myself right now...

tumar

23 Aug 2016

McDSP had plugins for rent too. It was many years ago.

• Information