Custom studio desk planning

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
RobC

Post 03 Jun 2024

While I was fine with using beer tables : D it's indeed cheaping out at this point. Eventhough they are light weight, remind you of beer, and if there's a fire, it burns at much higher heat than wood.

Anyway, it seems it would be worth buying a bigger slab of wood and building a simple floating desk. I would use heavy duty wall brackets ('L' or rather triangular shaped) to hold it. Probably 3-4 of them. I found one, which reaches out to 50 cm.
The table would be 2 meter wide, and the length minimum 50 cm. This is where things get tricky, cause I don't know how much the wood could go over the bracket's 50 cm arm. 1 bracket can hold 150 kg.
The easiest way is to buy an MDF board, which can be cut to a custom size.
I'd put two 12-12 kg speakers to the front corners.
I also tested the sub woofer on the good old beer table, right below the TV, in the center, and I got a nice, clean, punchy bass, so I might consider putting that on the desk as well, which is about 14 kg. (If it would work out, I would put two center speakers to the left and right of the woofer.)
Nevermind how I position the speakers, cause it's also about aesthetics. And that's a different topic.

So yeah, question would be, that with those 50 cm brackets, how much could I go over the 50 cm length. Could it still hold a (200cm x) 70 or preferably 80 cm MDF board? Would an 1.8 cm thick one be enough?
The rest of the space would be used for midi devices, DAC, HP AMP, keyboard, mouse, etc. and my lower arms of course.

brianwdowliong

Post 03 Jun 2024

I looked into floating shelve, but instead purchased legs from Amazon and mounted them onto a wood surface to create more flexibility.

Makes it easiy to move the desk forward and back from the wall if you want to rewire. All cables are in cages screwed to the top of the back of the desk. I have small 2 drawer file cabinets on each side of where the chair sits which I use for storage, music notes, extra cables, headphones, etc.

I used dried pine shelving as it is inexpensive, screwed 2 layers together, stained and then used varathane semi-gloss for finish. So thickness is 1.5", and much cheaper than a slab. I am able to stand on the desk, even with all the hardware on it.

Desk is 42" deep by 8' wide so plenty of room for all hardware, etc. Also will fit in almost any room against any wall for moving. Multiple monitor arms are screwed to back of desk.

I know this is a different approach than the one you're considering, but for me, it gave me a lot greater flexibility.

brianwdowliong

Post 03 Jun 2024

If you're interested further, send me an email address and I can forward a photo.

jam-s

Post 03 Jun 2024

I once build a wall-mounted long desk that ran across the whole length of the room (about 3.8m). I used two massive L shaped steel supports (placed at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the full length and a few thick wood beams screwed into the stone wall of the room to support the whole back and sides of the desk.
For the surface I used two cheap kitchen work desk plates (CPL) from the hardware store that I connected with some wooden board on the bottom and then also screwed into wooden beams. that way I did not need any support pillars in the front of that super long desk.

RobC

Post 07 Jun 2024

brianwdowliong wrote:
03 Jun 2024
I looked into floating shelve, but instead purchased legs from Amazon and mounted them onto a wood surface to create more flexibility.

Makes it easiy to move the desk forward and back from the wall if you want to rewire. All cables are in cages screwed to the top of the back of the desk. I have small 2 drawer file cabinets on each side of where the chair sits which I use for storage, music notes, extra cables, headphones, etc.

I used dried pine shelving as it is inexpensive, screwed 2 layers together, stained and then used varathane semi-gloss for finish. So thickness is 1.5", and much cheaper than a slab. I am able to stand on the desk, even with all the hardware on it.

Desk is 42" deep by 8' wide so plenty of room for all hardware, etc. Also will fit in almost any room against any wall for moving. Multiple monitor arms are screwed to back of desk.

I know this is a different approach than the one you're considering, but for me, it gave me a lot greater flexibility.
Actually, you should post a photo here, since you can do so, and I'm sure more people would be interested to see what you got.

I thought of so many solutions by now... but maybe I will just do floating slabs or alike for all the speakers. And a separate desk for my gear. (50" 4k TV is wall-mounted already with VESA anyway.)

RobC

Post 07 Jun 2024

jam-s wrote:
03 Jun 2024
I once build a wall-mounted long desk that ran across the whole length of the room (about 3.8m). I used two massive L shaped steel supports (placed at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the full length and a few thick wood beams screwed into the stone wall of the room to support the whole back and sides of the desk.
For the surface I used two cheap kitchen work desk plates (CPL) from the hardware store that I connected with some wooden board on the bottom and then also screwed into wooden beams. that way I did not need any support pillars in the front of that super long desk.
I read that for floating desks, we need a bracket every 45, or 90 cms in case of heavy duty ones.
Sadly, slabs are the most expensive here, so I can't do 2 layers at the moment.

Currently, I considered building all-in-one frames and brackets out of wood, normally used for the roof (there are plenty of those here, just in storage), where one such simple structure should easily hold even the max 14 kg subwoofer.

I'm not cheaping out, but getting the material is more complicated (and even more expensive) here than I thought.

jam-s

Post 13 Jun 2024

Well, the desk was bolted to the three surrounding walls all around quite well, so the two massive supports in the middle were enough to carry its weight + a 3 shelves on top at the back wall + myself climbing on it occasionally.

RobC

Post 28 Jun 2024

jam-s wrote:
13 Jun 2024
Well, the desk was bolted to the three surrounding walls all around quite well, so the two massive supports in the middle were enough to carry its weight + a 3 shelves on top at the back wall + myself climbing on it occasionally.
Well, I did some online shopping, but already got an e-mail about a delay. I waited all week, and today, I will probably cancel it. In the end, my plan was to build floating shelves for speakers, and buying or building a standalone desk.

I got into a bit of woodworking, and I find it fun enough to get more deeply into it. Maybe I will build a unique desk, where each gear has it's own frame. We'll see.

• Information