Would a mono cable splitter halve the volume?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
RobC

06 Apr 2024

I know... so many questions...

But yeah, since I wanted an authentic dual mono recording, I guess the best way would be to record from a hardware synth's mono out, into stereo.

That's why I thought about, if I get a Behringer Neutron, then I'd connect a jack to its mono-out with a "Y" all-mono jack cable.

Things get trickier, cause I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 3 for recording. It has 1 microphone XLR in, and a 6.3 jack instrument in. I found no info if I can connect an instrument to a microphone pre-amp. (yes, I know, I need an XLR to 6.3mm adapter.)

As for why, I already had a topic that I want a true dual-mono analog recording.
Maybe I should get some small analog mixer?

bxbrkrz

06 Apr 2024

When I have the perfect midi sequence idea I would record the analog mono synth twice, and pan hard L and R. I may or may not change some settings.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

RobC

09 Apr 2024

bxbrkrz wrote:
06 Apr 2024
When I have the perfect midi sequence idea I would record the analog mono synth twice, and pan hard L and R. I may or may not change some settings.
That solution has its pros and cons, though I would record it once, then run it through the synth two more times and record that for left and right, in case there's only 1 channel available a time for recording. It ensures that the sound remains consistent, without unwanted modulation (except the desired "imperfections" of the analog path, aka. noise, distortion, etc.).

That said, Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 3, has a mic preamp in and an instrument in.

Do you know whether connecting an analog synth out to the microphone preamp-in would be possible? Or is that damaging?

selig
RE Developer

09 Apr 2024

RobC wrote:
06 Apr 2024

But yeah, since I wanted an authentic dual mono recording, I guess the best way would be to record from a hardware synth's mono out, into stereo.

That's why I thought about, if I get a Behringer Neutron, then I'd connect a jack to its mono-out with a "Y" all-mono jack cable.

Things get trickier, cause I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 3 for recording. It has 1 microphone XLR in, and a 6.3 jack instrument in. I found no info if I can connect an instrument to a microphone pre-amp. (yes, I know, I need an XLR to 6.3mm adapter.)

As for why, I already had a topic that I want a true dual-mono analog recording.
I feel like I’ve been around a long time and seen just about everything there is to see in audio. But what the heck is “authentic/true dual mono analog recording”? Is there a “false dual mono”? Is there some historical reference being made here?

I asked this on your other thread: why record the same exact thing on two channels?

As for your question, any time you double the voltage you add 6dB. This is why pan laws exist in stereo mixers for mono sources.

Can you describe why you prefer this sound, or how true dual mono sounds compared to just mono (which is to say, true authentic mono!)?
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

09 Apr 2024

selig wrote:
09 Apr 2024
RobC wrote:
06 Apr 2024

I feel like I’ve been around a long time and seen just about everything there is to see in audio. But what the heck is “authentic/true dual mono analog recording”? Is there a “false dual mono”? Is there some historical reference being made here?

I asked this on your other thread: why record the same exact thing on two channels?

As for your question, any time you double the voltage you add 6dB. This is why pan laws exist in stereo mixers for mono sources.

Can you describe why you prefer this sound, or how true dual mono sounds compared to just mono (which is to say, true authentic mono!)?
If I record anything in mono, then that's 1 channel. When played back in Reason, we only hear the sound coming from both speakers, because the same recording is duplicated for the left and right channel. If we do a null test, it perfectly cancels out.
If we connect a mono synth to an analog mixer and don't change anything, and record the left and right out of the mixer, then do a null test, there probably will be slight differences. I want to capture such imperfections.

I imagined a simple all-mono "Y" jack splitter would just split the signal, thus reducing the volume to 50-50% ~ but meanwhile I read that it's not how it works.
(I guess it's not like for example a water hose, where the water pressure goes down to half, when using a "Y" splitter.)

Luckily, I haven't ordered the analog gear yet, still browsing. I still have time to just run away screaming from the analog audio world. x D

selig
RE Developer

09 Apr 2024

RobC wrote:
09 Apr 2024
selig wrote:
09 Apr 2024

If I record anything in mono, then that's 1 channel. When played back in Reason, we only hear the sound coming from both speakers, because the same recording is duplicated for the left and right channel. If we do a null test, it perfectly cancels out.
If we connect a mono synth to an analog mixer and don't change anything, and record the left and right out of the mixer, then do a null test, there probably will be slight differences. I want to capture such imperfections.

I imagined a simple all-mono "Y" jack splitter would just split the signal, thus reducing the volume to 50-50% ~ but meanwhile I read that it's not how it works.
(I guess it's not like for example a water hose, where the water pressure goes down to half, when using a "Y" splitter.)

Luckily, I haven't ordered the analog gear yet, still browsing. I still have time to just run away screaming from the analog audio world. x D
I think you will totally enjoy messing around with something like the Neuron, if you like patching things in Reason and experimenting.
I do not think you will hear any difference between the left and right A/D on even the cheapest converters out there.
But experimenting is where we learn, so I say go for it and see what happens. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information