True(ish) analog (dual) mono?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
RobC

03 Apr 2024

Some of you know that I plan to get into the analog world (I'm 99.1% decided on getting a Behringer Neutron). But then, something struck me: If I want it to be as analog (speaking about the flavor) as possible, then duplicating a single channel mono recording in Reason, so that it's dual mono (the sound is in the "center"), will not have an authentic analog sound. That's simply perfect digital duplication of a mono recording, to the Left and Right stereo channel.

For a more authentic dual mono recording, I would need to record the given sound, first. Then take that recording, and played through my DAC, feed it back into my Focusrite's instrument-in, and make two synchronized mono recordings (for left and right channel). Of course, I could run it through my future Neutron (99.2% decided), before the Focusrite, for even more analog dirt. : )

Hey, it's nerdy fun, and you learn new things, and get inspired! Also, the sound would be centered like this, but now it would have a little something, to be able to play with "widening", creating some dual-mono-type stereo effect.

There might be a shortcut, but I don't know if the microphone pre-amp can be used for instruments, or not. Hmm... Definitely don't wanna fry that part of the Focusrite. : )

selig
RE Developer

03 Apr 2024

Why record the same thing twice?
Are you wanting to capture the different sound of the left vs the right input channel?
For something to be "center" you need EXACTLY the same thing is each side. This is called the "phantom center" for a reason, and an interesting subject on its own (and the whole idea of what is "stereo" - Alan Blumlein is a good place to start if you want the story from the beginning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Blumlein
Lots to explore in general with the idea of the 'center image', including why a dedicated center speaker sounds different than the same signal panned center between two speakers. It can be a total rabbit hole, beware! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

03 Apr 2024

selig wrote:
03 Apr 2024
To see if it creates a subtle difference between the left and right channel. If I initially don't hear a difference, then I'd take a look at Mid/Side, and raise the Side's volume a bit.

As far as I know, it should have noise, a bit of distortion, maybe some hum, all different for each recording (thus creating difference for Left and Right channels in stereo).

Luckily, I will be able to test this just with the Focusrite already.

RobC

03 Apr 2024

selig wrote:
03 Apr 2024
Are you wanting to capture the different sound of the left vs the right input channel?
For something to be "center" you need EXACTLY the same thing is each side. This is called the "phantom center" for a reason, and an interesting subject on its own (and the whole idea of what is "stereo" - Alan Blumlein is a good place to start if you want the story from the beginning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Blumlein
Lots to explore in general with the idea of the 'center image', including why a dedicated center speaker sounds different than the same signal panned center between two speakers. It can be a total rabbit hole, beware! ;)
Ah, at first I only saw the first line of your comment.

Point would be that it's kind of in the center, but not perfectly.
I'm not sure though, maybe the difference is not noticeable. Still, the difference will be there, and that can be played around with, when the nerdy engineering fun begins.

• Information