Shock Mount vs Me

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
mimidancer

26 Feb 2024

So I was recording tonight having a great time playing rock star in my downtime. This is the first of several days I have off. I want to get as far away from my day job as possible. I decided to set up a mic and the reality that I am a terrible amateur hit me. My shock mount was a tangled mess. As I moved the cords around to fix the situation it became worse. I am not a stupid person, (though if I were I wouldn't know would I? Stupid people never know.} So I knew I could figure this out. Before long both cords were removed. After multiple attempts and an hour of valuable time, I had not made any progress. I thought to myself, perhaps I am stupid. Then asked myself, what would a stupid person do? Then I thought about my patient's parents and Google. Oh, Dr. Google tells them everything. So there I was googling how to lace up my shock mount. In seconds some lovely guy was telling me how to fix my issue. I still don't recommend the google for your medical needs. If something is bad enough that you are googling, you should see your provider. But if your shock mounts get jaked up google can help. Also, I concede to being an idiot. If you have any stories of failure in the studio I love to hear them. Be well.

PhillipOrdonez

27 Feb 2024

I don't even know what a shock mount is 🤭

motuscott

27 Feb 2024

There's always the mute button engaged hours long search for "the problem".
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

mimidancer

27 Feb 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Feb 2024
this
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 2272 times

mimidancer

27 Feb 2024

motuscott wrote:
27 Feb 2024
There's always the mute button engaged hours long search for "the problem".
nice. That is as good as the time I posted here for my D50 when it would not turn on. hours later I noticed it was unplugged.

crimsonwarlock

27 Feb 2024

Just a few weeks ago, I realized I got a signal (in Reason) from my Rhode NT1-A microphone while the phantom power on my Scarlett 18i20 was switched off. That resulted in some head-scratching and even considering the NT1-A didn't need phantom power at all :o Not having done any vocal recordings for a few months, I totally forgot that my microphone is not plugged directly into my audio interface, but goes into my DBX286s vocal processor, which of course delivers the phantom power. The DBX doesn't have an on/off switch, and I forgot to switch off the phantom power. Serious duh! moment :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

27 Feb 2024

I’ve been around those my entire life and still can’t string one up without looking at instructions.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

27 Feb 2024

mimidancer wrote:
27 Feb 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Feb 2024
this
Looks messy and complicated 🤷‍♂️

motuscott

27 Feb 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Feb 2024
mimidancer wrote:
27 Feb 2024

this
Looks messy and complicated 🤷‍♂️
C'est the recording life.

mimidancer

27 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 Feb 2024
Just a few weeks ago, I realized I got a signal (in Reason) from my Rhode NT1-A microphone while the phantom power on my Scarlett 18i20 was switched off. That resulted in some head-scratching and even considering the NT1-A didn't need phantom power at all :o Not having done any vocal recordings for a few months, I totally forgot that my microphone is not plugged directly into my audio interface, but goes into my DBX286s vocal processor, which of course delivers the phantom power. The DBX doesn't have an on/off switch, and I forgot to switch off the phantom power. Serious duh! moment :lol:

I feel like I am in good company, thanks for the share.

mimidancer

27 Feb 2024

selig wrote:
27 Feb 2024
I’ve been around those my entire life and still can’t string one up without looking at instructions.
The first mic I ever had with a mount like that is the NT1. I got that in like 2009 so like 15 years ago. I have no excuse. Last night I was using the TF11. I really like the sound of that mic. For mic-ing speakers and amps, I still love the sound of a cheap SM57. I do have a matched pair of LA 120s that use a lot too. I bet you have some nice Mics. Do you have a favorite and why?

benjified

27 Feb 2024

I haven't gotten a mic with me, but I think my biggest problem is that I haven't practiced singing in years. I wish I had a private space with no one around where I'd feel like I can practice without making someone cringe.

Best of luck on your endeavour mimidancer.

mimidancer

27 Feb 2024

benjified wrote:
27 Feb 2024
I haven't gotten a mic with me, but I think my biggest problem is that I haven't practiced singing in years. I wish I had a private space with no one around where I'd feel like I can practice without making someone cringe.

Best of luck on your endeavour mimidancer.
Trevor Horn said that too. So he used a high pass filter and destroyed the lows and low mids in his vocal. Then he killed the radio star.

DaveyG

28 Feb 2024

Once upon a time, before the Internet was a thing, I tried to repair one of those shock mounts using only a handful of hair elastics and a very small picture in a Canford Audio catalogue. It wasn't pretty but it mostly worked, and I used it for some years, but you did have to make running repairs every time you touched it. It was also a bit embarrassing to use it in front of other people but money was tight and gear was expensive back then.

rorystorm

28 Feb 2024

Ok, a while ago I bought a drum machine and couldn't get any sound from it. Checked EVERYTHING, nope, no sound. Took it back to the shop who kindly gave me a replacement, still nothing. Drove me crazy. Long story short, turned out I wasn't pushing the cable all the way into the audio output. Winner!

selig
RE Developer

28 Feb 2024

mimidancer wrote:
27 Feb 2024
selig wrote:
27 Feb 2024
The first mic I ever had with a mount like that is the NT1. I got that in like 2009 so like 15 years ago. I have no excuse. Last night I was using the TF11. I really like the sound of that mic. For mic-ing speakers and amps, I still love the sound of a cheap SM57. I do have a matched pair of LA 120s that use a lot too. I bet you have some nice Mics. Do you have a favorite and why?
I still use an SM57 on guitar amps almost exclusively. I also have a pair of Royer 121 ribbons, which also sound nice on amps but they get stuck as room mics for the drums.
For vocals I can't beat my Lawson L47 "gold" mic. I've had it for over 30 years now, it was the first "good" mic I purchased when I got an advance for a project. It has beat out some stellar mics from top rental companies and studios over the years on a surprising range of vocalists, so I love to brag on it.
I also have an SM7b, 421, 414s, Rode NT5s, and various dynamics from Shure and Sennheiser on the drum kit.
My partner lived in China for years and found a place to get good cheep mics (and she got quite a few), and there is one condenser and one ribbon that are AMAZING and only cost her around $2-300.
Here is a shot I did of some of the collection for a magazine article I'm writing, more of a 'glamor' shot than really trying to show the collection:
[The one in front is the one I struggled with the shock mount - I don't think it is actually correct in the picture…]
Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 10.46.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 10.46.59 AM.png (622.88 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

28 Feb 2024

NSFW!

mimidancer

28 Feb 2024

selig wrote:
28 Feb 2024
mimidancer wrote:
27 Feb 2024

Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 10.46.59 AM.png
Very cool collection. Thanks for sharing.

mimidancer

28 Feb 2024

DaveyG wrote:
28 Feb 2024
Once upon a time, before the Internet was a thing, I tried to repair one of those shock mounts using only a handful of hair elastics and a very small picture in a Canford Audio catalogue. It wasn't pretty but it mostly worked, and I used it for some years, but you did have to make running repairs every time you touched it. It was also a bit embarrassing to use it in front of other people but money was tight and gear was expensive back then.
Nice hack. thanks for sharing. You should have seen how messed up i had mine.

• Information