You know what the whole problem is nowadays about making music?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
xbitz

21 Feb 2024

"The idea was that the computer would give us more time for creativity, but it was just the opposite...": Kraftwerk's Karl Bartos on how technology curbed the band's creativity" - https://www.musicradar.com/news/karl-bartos-interview-2

If Reason has already been mentioned, then it belongs here
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

BRIGGS

21 Feb 2024

You're bored because you wore out your loop.

Move on to something else, when this happen.
r11s

fullforce

28 Feb 2024

BRIGGS wrote:
21 Feb 2024

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

BRIGGS

28 Feb 2024

fullforce wrote:
28 Feb 2024
BRIGGS wrote:
21 Feb 2024

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
I know. I just like to blabber on about nonsense. : P
r11s

mimidancer

29 Feb 2024

It is easy to get lost in your gear and apps. I have a nice collection of musical instruments. sometimes picking where to start is difficult. I am a fan of using limitations. to force myself to dig deeper. So I say this is what I am using. And I use it. in the end, no one who listened will know what I used for what. But my result was a little different because different instruments bring out different sounds. I would encourage you to commit to audio as you lay down your tracks. MIDI is great and let's labor over your sounds. And leads to another Idea that is not done. I think all of us do that. Charlie Parker said, "A record is just what happened that night". You can always record it again. I like to think of tracks as snapshots. I can take a picture in the same outfit on a different night and it won't be the same. But fuck, it is still me. My tracks lack the polish some of you achieve. It sometimes makes me jealous. But mostly you guys inspire me to make more tracks. So please try limiting your track count and the number of devices you use. I know advice from me on this is useless. I hope you find your way out of the funk you find yourself in and make something you like. Be well.

dvdrtldg

03 Mar 2024

Sometimes (following the advice of someone on this forum a while back, can't remember who it was) I just put the names of a bunch of instruments into an online random picker and select three or four. Then I do the same with a larger number of FX and select maybe four or five. Then that's what I've got to work with. It's a good way of imposing some discipline, restricting choice and getting to know your gear better. Can't find a good snare sound? Tough luck, dig deeper. I like it

crimsonwarlock

04 Mar 2024

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Mar 2024
Sometimes (following the advice of someone on this forum a while back, can't remember who it was) I just put the names of a bunch of instruments into an online random picker and select three or four. Then I do the same with a larger number of FX and select maybe four or five. Then that's what I've got to work with. It's a good way of imposing some discipline, restricting choice and getting to know your gear better. Can't find a good snare sound? Tough luck, dig deeper. I like it
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7529250&sid=30932fb ... 9cb33bedd3
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

dvdrtldg

05 Mar 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Mar 2024
dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Mar 2024
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7529250&sid=30932fb ... 9cb33bedd3
That was it! Genius idea

pushedbutton

06 Mar 2024

I had a great time once deciding that the default answer was 26. Any value I came across that I felt like changing I set to 26. It wasn't a hard and fast rule but it gave me a starting point. Wasn't bored because sometimes I would stubbornly choose to make it work some how and that gave me a challenge that was ultimately arbitrary. Not had much time for noodling lately but plenty of good ideas start with a simple 'what if?'.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information