Rant: What is up with the Apple Vision Pro poor cable management?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
joeyluck

11 Feb 2024

I don't own one and no, I'm not buying one lol, but I keep seeing images and videos...

Aside from the ridiculous goggles, seeing a cable hanging off the sides of people's faces is driving me nuts :lol:

And it seems like most of these people don't even care :shock: They just have cables hanging beside them and in front of them, catching their arm on it all of the time...

I would create something to fasten the cable to the headband and make it so that it hangs directly off of the back. I would also run the cable beneath my top layer of clothing so it doesn't catch on anything.

How was this designed so poorly and how are people so oblivious to it? It's really hurting me to see it lol

Loque

11 Feb 2024

Apple will offer a solution and charge 200$ extra for it.
Download.jpeg
Download.jpeg (10.03 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

12 Feb 2024

But knowing Apple it will be the white variant of this.

robussc

12 Feb 2024

It's for the power pack and yes it does look ridiculous. Nintendo called and they want their Virtual Boy back...

I used to be a huge VR nerd in the early 90s when the tech was first being explored. Seemed like a super cool idea. I've since matured quite a bit and can't really see it taking the world by storm. It's just soooo anti-social (and you look like an idiot wearing one).
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

selig
RE Developer

12 Feb 2024

robussc wrote:
12 Feb 2024
It's for the power pack and yes it does look ridiculous. Nintendo called and they want their Virtual Boy back...

I used to be a huge VR nerd in the early 90s when the tech was first being explored. Seemed like a super cool idea. I've since matured quite a bit and can't really see it taking the world by storm. It's just soooo anti-social (and you look like an idiot wearing one).
Early cell phones (bricks) make folks look pretty idiotic too. Early cars were pretty idiotic as well, they didn’t even have windshields for the first 10 year!. You can see where I’m going here I think, that as a first gen product the goal is probably more “proof of concept” than anything.

As for anti-social, most new tech is anti social IMO. Riding in a car you don’t have to even acknowledge folks along the road, just roll up your tinted windows. Cell phones are about as anti-social as it comes despite not being connected to our body. I think that this tech will eventually look more like glasses than goggles, and will probably eventually evolve into a Futurama “EyePhone” type tech at some point! ;)

So for now there are going to be a few loose ends (cables) poking out. I should ask my friend who worked on this project about the cables and see what they say (if anything, they have been very tight lipped even after the announcement/release).
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc

12 Feb 2024

Yep, we’ll see. But I’m going to be surprised if it gains wide spread adoption. Google Glass users were loathed very quickly and that was close to the final form factor.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

joeyluck

12 Feb 2024

Yeah I understand the cable is for the battery, but the dangling cable out of the side makes it look like they never used it during testing. Very poor design.

Should be little clips around the head band and maybe even a collar clip on the cable to clip to clothing (you can get those cheap).

What's funny is how oblivious people are to it. I think people are so used to wireless headphones, they don't know what to do with a cable lol

jam-s

12 Feb 2024

The VR hype train has already left the station for this hype cycle. Apple is just a little late to the game. I wonder if the next iteration of the VR hype in 10-20 years will get it some wider adoption in comparison to this round and the previous two.

Loque

12 Feb 2024

jam-s wrote:
12 Feb 2024
But knowing Apple it will be the white variant of this.
That will cost $280...
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

12 Feb 2024

jam-s wrote:
12 Feb 2024
The VR hype train has already left the station for this hype cycle. Apple is just a little late to the game. I wonder if the next iteration of the VR hype in 10-20 years will get it some wider adoption in comparison to this round and the previous two.
This is more about MR / XR and immersive experience is more than hype now and is driving force in the industry. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

• Information