Waves Audio new Online Mastering Service.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2023

I was wondering if anyone else has used this new service?
As I had a free credit I thought I'd give it a go and I have to say that the result was good - better than what I had done with Ozone with the same track. I did have a bit of a fight with Ozone at the time and having a new version of the track confirmed the lows that bothered me with the Ozone version were an actual problem. In Ozone's defense it was the first time I'd used version 10 and I let it do its own thing by analyzing the track and went with the result, but wasn't entirely sure about the mastered version.
Bear in mind that I just make music for my own enjoyment (and if anyone bothers to listen on Soundcloud then that's a bonus) but it's best to get a track to decent standard even if I'm the only one listening!
I'm not sure I'd pay to get my next track mastered but the Waves Audio version has shown me not to trust what Ozone spits out and to trust my own judgement when it comes to finishing a track!

Grum.

integerpoet

24 Sep 2023

Grumbleweed wrote:
23 Sep 2023
I let (Ozone) do its own thing by analyzing the track and went with the result...
That flow merely suggests a place to start — it says so right on the screen! :-)

Me, I find that starting place to be too much like joining the loudness war, which I avoid like the plague because I'm not mastering for mainstream pop stardom.

Maybe try starting with nothing (remove the default modules), adding just an EQ, and playing with presets to get some more ideas of what Izotope thinks about different genres and eras and such and whether your ears agree. Then add another module and explore its presets the same way. In other words, just tour the possibilities.

Having done that myself — and yes, watching some YouTube videos :-) — I find I can obtain much more satisfying results.

bossa
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2023

Hello Grumbleweed, would be interesting to hear both version 1. with Ozone 2. Wave Audio Master in comparison! I'm also trying to master with Ozone since a few weeks. Had recommended to me a friend!

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2023

bossa wrote:
25 Sep 2023
Hello Grumbleweed, would be interesting to hear both version 1. with Ozone 2. Wave Audio Master in comparison! I'm also trying to master with Ozone since a few weeks. Had recommended to me a friend!
Hi

The old and new are the top two tracks on my Soundcloud page. The new one is labelled as such. If the tracks are downloadable then you can see the difference in places as well as hear it. It is generally less crushed, not so much bottom and a little bit more airy in places.

Grum.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2023

integerpoet wrote:
24 Sep 2023
Grumbleweed wrote:
23 Sep 2023
I let (Ozone) do its own thing by analyzing the track and went with the result...
That flow merely suggests a place to start — it says so right on the screen! :-)

Me, I find that starting place to be too much like joining the loudness war, which I avoid like the plague because I'm not mastering for mainstream pop stardom.

Maybe try starting with nothing (remove the default modules), adding just an EQ, and playing with presets to get some more ideas of what Izotope thinks about different genres and eras and such and whether your ears agree. Then add another module and explore its presets the same way. In other words, just tour the possibilities.

Having done that myself — and yes, watching some YouTube videos :-) — I find I can obtain much more satisfying results.
I'm sure I must have done something to the result but I'll admit I put much trust in what in came up with!
I won't do it again but if the next version of Kontakt includes the latest Ozone I'll be using that in the future - and that's meant to be the dog's doodads!

Grum.

• Information