("AI" ) The future is here and it is dumber than you imagined

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
PhillipOrdonez

27 Aug 2023

https://5mag.net/features/boomy-ai-musi ... c-streams/

There is is folks, another "AI" (eyeroll) grift fucking everyone of us.

Cant wait for everyone to catch up to the fact that "AI" is nothing but bullshit, just like NTFs.

dioxide

27 Aug 2023

This is great. If we flood Spotify with AI generated shite then we might be able to kill of streaming altogether. I think I'll setup a Boomy render farm to spam Spotify whilst selling my music on Bandcamp.

PhillipOrdonez

27 Aug 2023

If only normies used Bandcamp. But they won't. No shot. Ergo, this is not great

bxbrkrz

27 Aug 2023

We don't want to save the Spotify model. We want its total destruction.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2023

I’m wondering if you’re comparing apples to oranges with NFT = AI?
It seems to me it would be more accurate to compare BlockChain to AI, and NFTs (something that uses BlockChain) to AI Music (something that uses AI). It’s like saying “fire is nothing but a destructive force”, which fails to also acknowledge there are useful applications of fire in addition to destructive.
So yea, this looks like an AI grift for sure, but don’t blame the game - blame the player!
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

27 Aug 2023

there's a difference between something being used for a grift, and something actually being a grift itself.

I think the NFT grift thing is a special case--I still maintain it's a tool that isn't inherently a grift in and of itself, but the way it's been implemented essentially makes it one systemically.

AI, on the other hand, is being used for some very useful things--but the 'use case' here is obviously very much a grift. as an example, AI is being used to very good effect in the financial industry to help automate the extraction and identification of data entered into forms (such as loan applications, for example). it frees up employees to do higher value work (like actually analyzing whether they should approve that application). of course the case can be made that this is eliminating work, and that may be true to an extent, but much of that is not enjoyable or rewarding 'busy work'. in my own, admittedly anecdotal experience, that's a good thing--it allows people to showcase what they truly bring to the table, rather than just showing how many widgets they can get through within a particular timeframe.

the thing that bothers me about the idea that AI is somehow a low-value trick--and I've seen a few articles and videos on the subject--is that as far as I've seen so far, it's just folks who've spent years building some level of trust from their audience dunking on AI without anyone with knowledge of the field presenting an opposing viewpoint. I watched a couple Adam Ruins Everything videos on it, and in the first he spent so the entire time presenting a case that AI is being oversold, but didn't actually talk to an expert in the field. that's a problem. he did a follow-up video which I thought would be great--he did talk to two experts...but they both supported his case. there are a ton of experts in the field who have raised presumably legitimate concerns, but that side was never presented, and he didn't talk to anyone making that case. that's journalistic malpractice, in my view. I've come across others in the last few months, but they were the same deal.

so until there's a trusted name in the field (sorry, Adam Conover is great, but he is NOT an expert), I'll continue to think there's every reason to err on the side of caution and assume that AI is something we need to be very careful with, until convinced otherwise.

back to the NFT vs. AI thing for a second, there's a much bigger incentive to create a true, 'conscious' AGI--for many good reasons, and some bad--than there will ever be to make fake digital money. for that reason alone, it's a bigger concern. even if AI isn't everything people are suggesting yet, there is a HUGE push to get it there, and even a 'simple' stochastic parrot is capable of quite a lot *today*. things are moving very fast, and with that much pressure to 'get there', it's something we can't afford to ignore, IMO.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

27 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
27 Aug 2023
It seems to me it would be more accurate to compare BlockChain to AI, and NFTs (something that uses BlockChain) to AI Music (something that uses AI). It’s like saying “fire is nothing but a destructive force”, which fails to also acknowledge there are useful applications of fire in addition to destructive.
So yea, this looks like an AI grift for sure, but don’t blame the game - blame the player!
Their relation is in the level of hype. And in their level of griftiness and uselessness. :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2023

I think AI will bring some good and useful stuff here and there. For example I've used it to make album covers. If I hadn't I don't think I would ever have the energy to put together all my music in album form. It made it easier and more doable. Having said that, if I knew any good artists personally and I liked their work, I would much rather have album art made by them instead.

Overall I think AI will bring us a lot more problems than it will solve. Sorry to be negative, but that's how I feel.
I hope at some point people will get bored of it once the biggest hype wears off. I mean it will off course not go away, but I'm hoping we will see a return of an appreciation for more human made things. All this constant talk of AI makes me feel like I did when I first watched Mark Zuckerberg talk about his Metaverse. I just wanted to turn my computer off and go outside.

integerpoet

27 Aug 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Cant wait for everyone to catch up to the fact that "AI" is nothing but bullshit, just like NTFs.
Out of curiosity, I clicked the link, and the first thing it wanted was for me to create an account.

Nope. Don't care that much. Life is too short.

But I'd read or watch a description of the nuts and bolts of how it works (as opposed to how it's being exploited for evil because of course it is yawn).

PhillipOrdonez

27 Aug 2023

integerpoet wrote:
27 Aug 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Out of curiosity, I clicked the link, and the first thing it wanted was for me to create an account.

Nope. Don't care that much. Life is too short.

But I'd read or watch a description of the nuts and bolts of how it works (as opposed to how it's being exploited for evil because of course it is yawn).
I would try again. I just tried it and no account was required 🤷‍♂️

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Aug 2023
selig wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Their relation is in the level of hype. And in their level of griftiness and uselessness. :)
Hype by WHO? The folks who are ‘hyping’ AI are VERY different than the folks who are hyping NFTs. Most of the folks hyping AI that I’m following are not involved in creating (or profiting from) AI.
NFTs OTOH appear to be hyped by those expecting to directly profit from them.

But the important point I’m trying (and failing) to make is that AI is technology, blockchain is technology, so is a more fair comparison.

NFTs vs AI Music is equal hype as far as I’ve seen (and also a fair comparison), but I don’t know if that’s what you’re talking about. You seem to be talking about a product (NFT) vs a general technology (AI), which is where you lost me if so.
[Technology is a wonderful Servant, but a terrible Master]
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

27 Aug 2023

It's funny to me that a judge recently ruled that an image generated by AI couldn't be copyrighted. My hope is that the copyright for any AI generated content will be assigned to the company that owns the AI so that all the folks currently churning out AI generated crap will ultimately own nothing but will have contributed to investor interest and increase in the price of company stocks. Let's have a new AI focused tech bubble!

DaveyG

27 Aug 2023

Chizmata wrote:
27 Aug 2023
imagine someone making dumb money with AI-generated NFTs.

Dammit. I can't believe you have blabbed my secret plan to the world.
AI Will Eat Itself. :thumbup:

jam-s

27 Aug 2023

dioxide wrote:
27 Aug 2023
It's funny to me that a judge recently ruled that an image generated by AI couldn't be copyrighted. My hope is that the copyright for any AI generated content will be assigned to the company that owns the AI so that all the folks currently churning out AI generated crap will ultimately own nothing but will have contributed to investor interest and increase in the price of company stocks. Let's have a new AI focused tech bubble!
I think it would be even better if all those creations would simply be put in the public domain aka no copyright possible and free for all to use. That way also the company that uses the AI to generate the stuff cannot profit from it via the copyright delusion.

PhillipOrdonez

28 Aug 2023

dioxide wrote:
27 Aug 2023
It sounds like you haven't read the article, cause that's exactly what is happening. the folks currently churning out AI generated crap own nothing. It all belongs to the company they're paying a subscription to.

PhillipOrdonez

28 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Aug 2023
I just wanted to turn my computer off and go outside.
Exactly right. I think that's the most adequate, sensible, reaction to all these things (the metaverse, "Ai", crypto and nfts (blockchain included, selig), and all the things the tech bro types hype)

dioxide

28 Aug 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
28 Aug 2023
dioxide wrote:
27 Aug 2023
It sounds like you haven't read the article, cause that's exactly what is happening. the folks currently churning out AI generated crap own nothing. It all belongs to the company they're paying a subscription to.
Amazing I love it. I did read the article but we're talking about one ruling here. My wish is that all of the copyright for all these things are assigned to the AI company. People are putting lots of time into this while not knowing if they actually will own the results. Fools.

Aosta

28 Aug 2023

dioxide wrote:
28 Aug 2023
Amazing I love it. I did read the article but we're talking about one ruling here. My wish is that all of the copyright for all these things are assigned to the AI company. People are putting lots of time into this while not knowing if they actually will own the results. Fools.
As is the case with anything created and uploaded to facebook, instagram etc. They own the image not you once it hits their servers.
Tend the flame

selig
RE Developer

28 Aug 2023

jam-s wrote:
27 Aug 2023
dioxide wrote:
27 Aug 2023
I think it would be even better if all those creations would simply be put in the public domain aka no copyright possible and free for all to use. That way also the company that uses the AI to generate the stuff cannot profit from it via the copyright delusion.
This actually makes the most sense to me.
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

28 Aug 2023

Aosta wrote:
28 Aug 2023
dioxide wrote:
28 Aug 2023
As is the case with anything created and uploaded to facebook, instagram etc. They own the image not you once it hits their servers.
Untrue. They tried this but failed. What they have is the right to store and reproduce any imaged uploaded to their servers.

-008'

29 Aug 2023

ive repeated this before, but i had always hoped that NFT (its literally just a filetype, not the monkey jpegs!) would somehow beget the next MP3 - I imagined a new music file with: built-in artist rights and info, immutable provenance on blockchain, etc. (for ex: an internet where you freely post your songs, even with copyrighted samples - and the world can go ahead and steal and share and spread all they want - but any money ever earned/generated, eventually finds its way back to the deserving artists.

You'd need a ground-up rewrite of, well.. everything we use today. I think its possible only in theory, unfortunately . I doubt that it will ever happen in my lifetime. Our world is ruled by sociopathic gatekeepers and their insatiable greed. Somehow, in every industry, all the "middlemen" end up on top. :thumbdown: These for-profits and ORGs and kings of the world will never do something so that a million starving artists can eat, they'd much rather eat us for lunch instead.

Besides, all of my "NFT is the new MP3" fantasy would've HAD to come before the "AI" in my opinion. Precisely because "AI" is just these billion dollar dipshits, who are completely predatory, and they have now stolen every single song and beat that we've all uploaded to soundcloud, spotify, youtube, beatstars, etc. "Ethical AI" my foot! No one can convince me that they didn't scrape the entire internet of music sites and musicians to set these things up and "teach" the machine. They have used our own art and works to essentially devalue us. Really great stuff.

Most of all its just dishonest. Creativity never needed "Artificial Intelligence" at all.
We were doing just fine with Actual Intelligence, Emotional Intelligence, Human Intelligence.
/rant

Code: Select all

*/auto-generate message response

We noticed that you recently posted negatively about your AI overlords, the algorithm has now marked you for: death.

Please insert yourself in the nearest suicide pod. 

If you choose not to self terminate in the next 24hrs, we will send slaughterbots directly to your location, for your convenience.

Thank you for choosing Earth™ 
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Quarmat
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2023

Artificial Intelligence in the not so long run will transform capitalism into either distopian Neo-Feudalism with AI robots to enforce the law of the 1% rulers -or- into a sort of Ancient Greece global πόλις where the AI replaces the slaves andin which everyone is freed from the need to work and from money. In both scenarios one condition will come true: drastical reduction of the human population because there's simply not enough resources to mantain western way of life for 8 billion people (in the πόλις scenario) or because AI owners overlords will no longer need poor people to and work for them for few coins that, anyway, they'll use to buy their products. So, worrying about AI "stealing" human creativity and artistic works is the least of our problems, i think.

-008'

29 Aug 2023

Quarmat wrote:
29 Aug 2023
Artificial Intelligence in the not so long run will transform capitalism into either distopian Neo-Feudalism with AI robots to enforce the law of the 1% rulers -or- into a sort of Ancient Greece global πόλις where the AI replaces the slaves andin which everyone is freed from the need to work and from money. In both scenarios one condition will come true: drastical reduction of the human population because there's simply not enough resources to mantain western way of life for 8 billion people (in the πόλις scenario) or because AI owners overlords will no longer need poor people to and work for them for few coins that, anyway, they'll use to buy their products. So, worrying about AI "stealing" human creativity and artistic works is the least of our problems, i think.
I agree with you. music should always be the least of anyone's problems! i've just talked about the music aspect since we're on a music forum. I do believe it is all part of the same problem, same agenda. Which is far more pressing than music. :thumbs_up: 2030 is right around the corner! lol
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Thousand Ways

03 Sep 2023

Quarmat wrote:
29 Aug 2023
Artificial Intelligence in the not so long run will transform capitalism into either distopian Neo-Feudalism with AI robots to enforce the law of the 1% rulers -or- into a sort of Ancient Greece global πόλις where the AI replaces the slaves andin which everyone is freed from the need to work and from money.
It'll be the former. New technologies carry the currently prevailing politic implicit (or explicit) within them. The prevailing politic of the world is of aggressive neoliberalism; applications of AI will therefore stink of that.

As for NFT, it's now known under this name.

• Information