Oldskool raves

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2023

Popey wrote:
18 Sep 2023
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2023

So true. The music went To hell in ’93. What was that band that had hoodies and covid masks? Something with 8 in the name. Maaaan. Cheesy Happy hardcore on every corner and every Gap. A sad moment for all.
You are thinking of altern8 Mr Figg.
Yep. That’s them. I’m not angry. I’m disappointed.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dioxide

18 Sep 2023

MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2023
What was that band that had hoodies and covid masks? Something with 8 in the name. Maaaan. Cheesy Happy hardcore on every corner and every Gap. A sad moment for all.
Altern8. To be honest I liked them. Previously they made music under the name Nexus 21, along the lines of the bleepier stuff. They definteitly played the media game though and it all got a bit silly but the tunes always made an impact. It was the Sesame Street style stuff that followed on from The Prodigy's Charly that really was awful. Too many drugs perhaps but the public bought them in huge numbers. Unfortunately the music just got moodier after that because people didn't want to appear cheesey by making positive but still hard music. It all got too handsin the air for me, mostly because I wasn't an e-head as I'd been listening to these styles before the scene got VERY druggy in 92 – at this point there were a lot more people that were into it for the drugs than the music.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2023

dioxide wrote:
18 Sep 2023
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2023
What was that band that had hoodies and covid masks? Something with 8 in the name. Maaaan. Cheesy Happy hardcore on every corner and every Gap. A sad moment for all.
Altern8. To be honest I liked them. Previously they made music under the name Nexus 21, along the lines of the bleepier stuff. They definteitly played the media game though and it all got a bit silly but the tunes always made an impact. It was the Sesame Street style stuff that followed on from The Prodigy's Charly that really was awful. Too many drugs perhaps but the public bought them in huge numbers. Unfortunately the music just got moodier after that because people didn't want to appear cheesey by making positive but still hard music. It all got too handsin the air for me, mostly because I wasn't an e-head as I'd been listening to these styles before the scene got VERY druggy in 92 – at this point there were a lot more people that were into it for the drugs than the music.
Charly was the only prodigy track I ever liked. Think orbital and T99 and Eon were dotting around the same time. Hippy, Homeboy and a Funki Dread did it for me. Something for your mind something for your mind something for your mind. +8
Nah. No E here either. Was always about the psychedelics :):):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2023

MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2023
dioxide wrote:
18 Sep 2023

Charly was the only prodigy track I ever liked. Think orbital and T99 and Eon were dotting around the same time. Hippy, Homeboy and a Funki Dread did it for me. Something for your mind something for your mind something for your mind. +8
Nah. No E here either. Was always about the psychedelics :):):):)
Yeah t99 Anastasia was (and still is) a favourite of mine. So much energy in that track. T99 and charly were on the same xl records chapter 2 album so you are correct they were released near each other. Orbital rocked and I also liked elements of utah saints (not the shouting parts) 🤣

fullforce

19 Sep 2023

Popey wrote:
18 Sep 2023
Yeah t99 Anastasia was (and still is) a favourite of mine. So much energy in that track. T99 and charly were on the same xl records chapter 2 album so you are correct they were released near each other. Orbital rocked and I also liked elements of utah saints (not the shouting parts) 🤣
Quadrophonia is a million times better, T99 is a blatant ripoff.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2023

fullforce wrote:
19 Sep 2023
Popey wrote:
18 Sep 2023
Quadrophonia is a million times better, T99 is a blatant ripoff.
Doesn't make it bad though.
The Spice must flow.
If everything's ready on the dark side of the moon we'll play the five tones
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

fullforce

19 Sep 2023

MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2023
The Spice must flow.
Give me James Brown is Dead any day of the week above T99. I hate it. I used to walk off the dance floor when they played it and I would laugh at the peasants who would dance to it.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2023

fullforce wrote:
19 Sep 2023
MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2023
The Spice must flow.
Give me James Brown is Dead any day of the week above T99. I hate it. I used to walk off the dance floor when they played it and I would laugh at the peasants who would dance to it.
Did you also sit down on the disco floor when they played James?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

fullforce

19 Sep 2023

MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2023
Was never there when it was played. Must be an age thing. :twisted:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2023

fullforce wrote:
19 Sep 2023
MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2023
Hahahaha. Yeah :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

fullforce

19 Sep 2023

MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2023
fullforce wrote:
19 Sep 2023

Hahahaha. Yeah :)
Anyway. Quazar - the Seven Stars. Compare that to freaking T99.

Creativemind

27 Sep 2023

Popey wrote:
18 Sep 2023
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2023

So true. The music went To hell in ’93. What was that band that had hoodies and covid masks? Something with 8 in the name. Maaaan. Cheesy Happy hardcore on every corner and every Gap. A sad moment for all.
You are thinking of altern8 Mr Figg.
Oh yeah, good ol'Altern8. They're from 20 mile up the road from me in Stafford and Bizarre Inc were.

:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

27 Sep 2023

MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2023
dioxide wrote:
06 Aug 2023
I went to this one – well not this one, the one that followed it in March 92. No real stories other than it was fucking freezing ha ha. It was snowing at one point and the venue was more or less a circus tent in a field.

Anyway great music and atmosphere and Fierce Ruling Diva was there playing live. The music started to get a bit silly IMO in 92 and by the time 93 rolled around the scene was over and it split into the (IMO) cheesy happy hardcore and the more musically interesting (IMO) jungle. For me 90, 91 and 92 were great years for music.
Yeah the music probably did. Here in Stoke we had Shelley's and it was iconic and it closed it's doors for the last time in late 92. Everyone in Stoke went Golden at The Academy after that. Both Shelley's and Golden have reuinion nights a couple of times a year at Keele University. There's a Shelley's one at the end of next month there.

So I'm guessing because the clubs closed (or a lot of them) that the scene died and so did a lot of the tunes made?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

fullforce

06 Oct 2023

dioxide wrote:
06 Aug 2023
Anyway great music and atmosphere and Fierce Ruling Diva was there playing live. The music started to get a bit silly IMO in 92 and by the time 93 rolled around the scene was over and it split into the (IMO) cheesy happy hardcore and the more musically interesting (IMO) jungle. For me 90, 91 and 92 were great years for music.
You are so utterly wrong. Happy hardcore appeared somewhere around 1995. 1993 had loads of PROPER HARDCORE.

dioxide

06 Oct 2023

fullforce wrote:
06 Oct 2023
dioxide wrote:
06 Aug 2023
You are so utterly wrong. Happy hardcore appeared somewhere around 1995. 1993 had loads of PROPER HARDCORE.
Not sure where I said there wasn't any good hardcore made in 93 but the rot had already set in in 92.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

fullforce

07 Oct 2023

dioxide wrote:
06 Oct 2023
Not sure where I said there wasn't any good hardcore made in 93 but the rot had already set in in 92.
Exhibit A:
Well technically in 1993 hardcore wasn't hardcore yet, it was basically the point when things started to split into different genres. This "Exhibit" here, is more like Prodigy influenced stuff with longer samples. Not a bad track either but there aint nothing "happy hardcore" about it.

Exhibit B is complete shit, but shit records are from all times. :)

fullforce

07 Oct 2023

This one is widely regarded as (looking back) the first hardcore record ever. Friend of mine had it on vinyl and played it on his big fuckoff system. Yeah his parents were loaded so he had the whole shebang, but he couldn't mix for shit.

Anyway:

dioxide

07 Oct 2023

I understand that it's now regarded as the beginnings of hardcore but there's no way you can blame happy hardcore and everything that came after than on Acardiplane. NRG on the other hand... pilled up cheesey nonsense.

Hardcore as a term was in use in 91. Stuff like Anaesthesia was referred to as hardcore or nosebleed techno.

• Information