Anyone Threads? Instagram?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
DJMaytag

09 Jul 2023

Giving Threads a shot. Anyone else trying it?

https://www.threads.net/@djmaytag

Seems like it’s still early, but once it gets going, it could be a fantastic Twitter alternative. Hell, it could very well be a Facebook alternative too.

robussc

09 Jul 2023

I’ve joined and yes, it feels quite pleasant. I’m trying to avoid following stuff that gets my dander up, but it’s nice to be taking the pulse of the culture every now and then.

I’ve always said that Threads (née Twitter) is for the friends you’d like to have. Facebook is for the friends/family you have. Really shocking how quickly Musk has destroyed Twitter. I’ll be surprised if it makes it into 2024!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

guitfnky

10 Jul 2023

I’m enjoying Threads—really surprised at that, given that I very much dislike Facebook and Instagram. Twitter is a cesspool.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

10 Jul 2023

No social media here, but It'll make me happy if everyone leaves Twitter. 🥳

joeyluck

10 Jul 2023

I signed up, just to look around. I don't see much difference from Instagram. I also haven't posted or interacted with anything, but it looks like the same stuff to me.

miyaru

10 Jul 2023

I have an Instagram account, but haven't used for more than two years now. I do look at Facebook once a day, but it is boring too.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

bxbrkrz

10 Jul 2023

ReasonTalk is my favorite asocial network, but sounds like people are happy with this brand new care and loving space.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

guitfnky

10 Jul 2023

joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2023
I signed up, just to look around. I don't see much difference from Instagram. I also haven't posted or interacted with anything, but it looks like the same stuff to me.
it's very similar--just text/discussion-focused instead of image/video. at this point, it's basically Twitter-lite...needs some features (like to be able to search by topic instead of just users), but I think at this early stage the main selling-point is it's not overflowing with toxic garbage the way Twitter is.

DJMaytag

10 Jul 2023

joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2023
The difference to me is the ability to just post a link or some text. Instagram requires a picture or video, so IG is more visual based than Twitter & Threads. IG forces you to look at what someone is doing (and not everyone is a video “content” creator” whereas Threads just allows you to read about what someone is doing (or talking/ranting about).

joeyluck

10 Jul 2023

guitfnky wrote:
10 Jul 2023
joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2023
it's very similar--just text/discussion-focused instead of image/video. at this point, it's basically Twitter-lite...needs some features (like to be able to search by topic instead of just users), but I think at this early stage the main selling-point is it's not overflowing with toxic garbage the way Twitter is.
Yeah that's what I gathered. You can still post pictures though and many of the posts I'm seeing look like Instagram posts. It also doesn't seem like you can browse it on the web, which would be a big thing. I'm guessing they're just trying to get people to sign up and get the app for now. They have "threads.net", but that just points to the app.

The name choice is interesting, given that there is already an app called Threads, which is more of a Slack/Discord alternative, but certainly occupies very similar space. They also claim the name is registered and they own the domain "threads.com". I'm guessing Meta has probably been making some pretty big offers to them, and they probably hoped to secure it before going live with their Threads app, but then decided to release it sooner because of strategy with the twitter mess.

I think twitter threatening to sue is funny, given that there have already been other apps/services that have more or less copied twitter, such as Mastodon and Truth. And in the end, it's all very similar anyways to Facebook, etc.

joeyluck

10 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Jul 2023
joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2023
The difference to me is the ability to just post a link or some text. Instagram requires a picture or video, so IG is more visual based than Twitter & Threads. IG forces you to look at what someone is doing (and not everyone is a video “content” creator” whereas Threads just allows you to read about what someone is doing (or talking/ranting about).
Yeah and I look at it and think, why not just remove the requirement to post a photo/video on instagram? But then I guess the excitement about it wouldn't be anywhere near as much as it is for a new app. So I get it...

robussc

10 Jul 2023

joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2023
This is funny :lol:
Oof that sucks for them.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

joeyluck

10 Jul 2023

robussc wrote:
10 Jul 2023
joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2023
This is funny :lol:
Oof that sucks for them.
Lol I'm sure they find it frustrating (thinking of the long run and wanting the name for themselves), but are probably loving it currently for the exposure. Think how many people are seeing the app in the app stores and instinctively going to threads.com And if they can think of good name alternative, they might make some really good money from Meta

guitfnky

10 Jul 2023

joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2023
guitfnky wrote:
10 Jul 2023

Yeah that's what I gathered. You can still post pictures though and many of the posts I'm seeing look like Instagram posts. It also doesn't seem like you can browse it on the web, which would be a big thing. I'm guessing they're just trying to get people to sign up and get the app for now. They have "threads.net", but that just points to the app.

The name choice is interesting, given that there is already an app called Threads, which is more of a Slack/Discord alternative, but certainly occupies very similar space. They also claim the name is registered and they own the domain "threads.com". I'm guessing Meta has probably been making some pretty big offers to them, and they probably hoped to secure it before going live with their Threads app, but then decided to release it sooner because of strategy with the twitter mess.

I think twitter threatening to sue is funny, given that there have already been other apps/services that have more or less copied twitter, such as Mastodon and Truth. And in the end, it's all very similar anyways to Facebook, etc.
yeah, I've read that it wasn't really meant to release until the end of this month, but they pushed it out early because of the dumb shit Space Karen is doing at Twitter. guessing there will be a desktop app and web options before too long.

joeyluck

10 Jul 2023

Some name alternatives for either Threads app lol
- threadz
- threader / threadder?
- threadit
- thready

brianwdowliong

10 Jul 2023

As with most of the socials, if you're using these to share out your music, you should probably include Threads for now as a component of your online content strategy. At a minimum, create an account to protect your brand. Given that there are already so many different social media channels out there, in the short term it may also prove to be just another distraction. Future TBD.

joeyluck

10 Jul 2023

brianwdowliong wrote:
10 Jul 2023
As with most of the socials, if you're using these to share out your music, you should probably include Threads for now as a component of your online content strategy. At a minimum, create an account to protect your brand. Given that there are already so many different social media channels out there, in the short term it may also prove to be just another distraction. Future TBD.
It's tied directly to Instagram accounts, so usernames/handles are managed by Instagram. You can only edit your username by logging into Instagram.

integerpoet

10 Jul 2023

Musk's takeover of Twitter opened my eyes.

So, for a while now, I've been done with centralized/corporate social media. (Except for ReasonTalk. :-))

Threads is a Meta property. It cannot end well. I homesteaded it to make sure I don't get impersonated and then deleted the app.

These days, I am all about Mastodon. It has a stupid name and it's slightly more difficult to get into, but once you're there it's far less toxic.

https://joinmastodon.org/

I understand you might have to slum on other social networks to promote your music, and I'm not trying to talk you out of that.

But for actual use rather than promotion? Mastodon.

DJMaytag

10 Jul 2023

integerpoet wrote:
10 Jul 2023
These days, I am all about Mastodon. It has a stupid name and it's slightly more difficult to get into, but once you're there it's far less toxic.

https://joinmastodon.org/

I understand you might have to slum on other social networks to promote your music, and I'm not trying to talk you out of that.

But for actual use rather than promotion? Mastodon.
Threads is slated to be able to access other platforms like Mastodon, IIRC. I don’t fully understand it, but that’s got some serious potential if it happens.

jam-s

10 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
09 Jul 2023
Giving Threads a shot. Anyone else trying it?
Nope, IRC/XMPP is still the superior tech. No need for yet another proprietary island prison with golden bars.

rorystorm

10 Jul 2023

guitfnky wrote:
10 Jul 2023
joeyluck wrote:
10 Jul 2023

yeah, I've read that it wasn't really meant to release until the end of this month, but they pushed it out early because of the dumb shit Space Karen is doing at Twitter. guessing there will be a desktop app and web options before too long.
Space Karen is genius, I'm 100% calling him that in the future.

integerpoet

10 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Jul 2023
Threads is slated to be able to access other platforms like Mastodon, IIRC. I don’t fully understand it, but that’s got some serious potential if it happens.
Sure. And there's quite a bit of discussion of that on Mastodon, believe-you-me. Hand-wringing, you might say.

But I'm not on Mastodon because I want interoperability with a bunch of servers. That's actually one of the unfortunate complications of getting onto Mastodon — you have to choose a server.

I'm on Mastodon because I want to minimize my exposure to the whims of billionaires like Musk and Zuck --- and I don't want to be their product.

And the fact that Threads says it will eventually interoperate with Mastodon is not even a little bit compelling to me when I could just use Mastodon in the first place. And that's only if you believe they are making that claim in good faith.

Threads would need to offer me something compelling of its own that overcomes its guilt-by-association-with-Zuck.

guitfnky

10 Jul 2023

rorystorm wrote:
10 Jul 2023
guitfnky wrote:
10 Jul 2023

Space Karen is genius, I'm 100% calling him that in the future.
right? wish I could take credit for it, but I’ve heard it before. 😆

DJMaytag

11 Jul 2023

integerpoet wrote:
10 Jul 2023
Threads would need to offer me something compelling of its own that overcomes its guilt-by-association-with-Zuck.
Ruining a $44B purchase by Musk is compelling enough to me.

• Information