Justifying GAS by resisting GAS

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2023

Recently I've noticed a trend appearing in my GAS denial. Been a couple of times the last month or so when I've been on my way to do the "can't pass up this good deal" purchase on a number of plugin bundles.Wow I say...I dodged paying €150 there I say. Wow I say, that's like saving €150 on that guitar pedal I'd like but I thought was too expensive to begin with.(Substitute whatever hardware I'm GASsing on at the time) Then for every plugin I don't buy I'm saving more and more on the pedal until I can actually get two for free. You see what's happening? Hmmm...it is a sickness. The struggle is real. But at least I'm saving money on my purchases.
Last edited by MrFigg on 02 Jul 2023, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

wowhow
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2023

Yea I get that too! I try to make sure I don't buy anything that I can already do with other plugins.
Even if I can, if it's a cool design and interface...I buy it haha
But...even though I don't use it, at least it's nice to look at all the plugins in the browser window! ><

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2023

For me it's more a matter of using the shit I buy. I'm fine with GAS and being a bit wasteful as long as the REs I end up buying gets used in the music I make. If a device has impacted at least 2 finished songs in some way, in my view, the purchase has now been justified.
For me It matters less if something is free or costs money. I just don't want the extra bloat of having crap collecting dust.
At times I find a few REs on my account that I didn't even remember buying. That annoys me greatly. But for the most part I'm typically pretty good at using what I buy.

I would say my number of purchases has gone down lately. There's so much I can revisit and explore further that I already own. It's not like I'm an expert on every device I own. Far from it.

crimsonwarlock

02 Jul 2023

A few things that helps me with this...

First of all, I decided to go RE exclusive, so VST sales don't bother me anymore. This helps a LOT. Secondly, I have a whish list of REs I still want to have, and there are only REs on that list that add something to my setup I don't have already. I only buy stuff from this list when it is on sale, with the odd exception of things that never go on sale. If new stuff comes out and it is a usable addition, I try to get it during the intro sale, or it goes on my whish list. Every now and then I drop something from the list if it is on there for a longer time and I didn't miss it all that time.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Jackjackdaw

02 Jul 2023

I don’t have any time for GAS. I’ve got a mate who seems to buy everything under the sun and needs to make sure everything is the best money can buy. I’m sure he made a lot more music when we were belting it out on crappy old second hand instruments when we were kids. I’ve never got enough spare cash to buy anything I don’t have a legitimate use for and I have most of what I need already.

plaamook

02 Jul 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Jul 2023
For me it's more a matter of using the shit I buy. I'm fine with GAS and being a bit wasteful as long as the REs I end up buying gets used in the music I make. If a device has impacted at least 2 finished songs in some way, in my view, the purchase has now been justified.
For me It matters less if something is free or costs money. I just don't want the extra bloat of having crap collecting dust.
At times I find a few REs on my account that I didn't even remember buying. That annoys me greatly. But for the most part I'm typically pretty good at using what I buy.

I would say my number of purchases has gone down lately. There's so much I can revisit and explore further that I already own. It's not like I'm an expert on every device I own. Far from it.
Exactamente.
I’ve got v limited funds at the mo. That helps. But generally I’ve got an instinct to not run a bloated list of things I don’t use.
But when I trial things I always try recreating it w what I’ve got.
If the combo of easy interface and outcome seems worth it, ok.
I’m about to buy Objekt. To use as an fx. It ticked all the boxes and I have some mystery points to use.
Woohoo.
Now I just need the payment page at the prop shop to actually work…
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information