The Internet Archive

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Jagwah

30 Jun 2023

The Internet Archive and by extension The Way Back Machine are facing legal action in an attempt to shut them down: https://blog.archive.org/2023/03/25/the ... continues/.

Currently everybody has access to a huge wealth of digital content on this site. I am constantly blown away by the old dj sets, old live concerts, old movies and more all of which I am not sure I could access if not for this site. I didn't know the UK had rave magazines back in the day and I likely never would if not for this site, they are really cool.

I keep coming across users on the site who have a load of great content, and I just learnt there are ways of bulk downloading these. So I thought I would share one with cool rave content in the hope others might share some decent users they have come across: https://archive.org/details/@kissmyarchive. Just look at all of that cool content, it would be really hard to source a lot of it specifically.

In spite of people's opinions, the fact remains that all of a sudden we could lose access to all of this content.

What is your opinion on the website, are you for or against it being shut down and do you have any thoughts on it?

Quarmat
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2023

Jagwah wrote:
30 Jun 2023

What is your opinion on the website, are you for or against it being shut down and do you have any thoughts on it?
Internet once upon a time was free, and it was a good time, it should be free, all of it. Internet has (and AI will even more) changed the way immaterial wealth is accessed, owned, shared, etc. Pull the money mind away from culture. Money and culture together are the worst.

Jagwah

30 Jun 2023

Quarmat wrote:
30 Jun 2023
Jagwah wrote:
30 Jun 2023

Internet once upon a time was free, and it was a good time, it should be free, all of it. Internet has (and AI will even more) changed the way immaterial wealth is accessed, owned, shared, etc. Pull the money mind away from culture. Money and culture together are the worst.
Very well said Quarmat.

There are arguments for and against obviously. An artist / creator should be entitled to earn from his work and not have it given away for free, but then why should a poor person or anyone for that matter be denied of art / work and therefore part of our culture, just because at this point in time our society is ruled by a monetary system, that is corrupt to boot?

I wonder if art and other types of content can be sold for a time, then shared to everyone, to better ourselves.

Also how can people be denied an education about anything they want, just because other people can profit from it by selling the information instead of sharing it? I think there are more similar questions.

It's hard to imagine a world not the same as it is now, but it would be nice to have these conversations and make changes for the better.

Jagwah

30 Jun 2023

Been listening to and saving a lot of old Fantazia and Helter Skelter rave sets, nom nom nom.

plaamook

30 Jun 2023

What a bunch of dreamers….
Myself included.
Internet is tech for a more advanced civilisation.

That said, why not limit copywrite to like 5years? For example.
Says the guy who’s music from five years ago is the only music money he makes!

I’m out of ideas
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

fullforce

30 Jun 2023

Jagwah wrote:
30 Jun 2023
The Internet Archive and by extension The Way Back Machine are facing legal action in an attempt to shut them down: https://blog.archive.org/2023/03/25/the ... continues/.

Currently everybody has access to a huge wealth of digital content on this site. I am constantly blown away by the old dj sets, old live concerts, old movies and more all of which I am not sure I could access if not for this site. I didn't know the UK had rave magazines back in the day and I likely never would if not for this site, they are really cool.

I keep coming across users on the site who have a load of great content, and I just learnt there are ways of bulk downloading these. So I thought I would share one with cool rave content in the hope others might share some decent users they have come across: https://archive.org/details/@kissmyarchive. Just look at all of that cool content, it would be really hard to source a lot of it specifically.

In spite of people's opinions, the fact remains that all of a sudden we could lose access to all of this content.

Oh fuck please no.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

30 Jun 2023

Quarmat wrote:
30 Jun 2023
Jagwah wrote:
30 Jun 2023

Internet was never "free" unless you were either on the in-crowd or at some university, when it also wasn't free but included in the price.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Jagwah

30 Jun 2023

plaamook wrote:
30 Jun 2023
...That said, why not limit copywrite to like 5years? For example.
I think just to start having these conversations is a step in the right direction. :puf_smile:

fullforce wrote:
30 Jun 2023
Oh fuck please no.
I know that coming from you this is quite a considerate and well thought out response, thank you for chiming in. :thumbup:

fullforce

01 Jul 2023

Jagwah wrote:
30 Jun 2023
I know that coming from you this is quite a considerate and well thought out response, thank you for chiming in. :thumbup:
This is my primal response. I'm absolutely enraged that this would even be considered. It's literally wiping out history. Bookburning, if you will.

bxbrkrz

01 Jul 2023

Who's financing Internet Archive? Is it free and open without any censorship? Asking for a for a friend who likes reading pdf files while eating .onion
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

plaamook

01 Jul 2023

They could set it up like Spotify.
The other genius solution to illegal file sharing.

Or here.

plaamook

01 Jul 2023

But internet archive tragedy aside…the internet is already free to those who understand how to navigate it.
It’s almost perfect. If you have loads of money you can buy anything. If you don’t you can get loads of it for free.

Or here.

plaamook

01 Jul 2023

Funny economy.
A VPN is cheaper than Netflix and Spotify combined.

Or here.

Jagwah

02 Jul 2023

fullforce wrote:
01 Jul 2023
Jagwah wrote:
30 Jun 2023
This is my primal response. I'm absolutely enraged that this would even be considered. It's literally wiping out history. Bookburning, if you will.
Good we are on the same page then, it's really hard to not get politcal here but things don't really happen to benefit humanity very often at this point in time, everything seems to point towards to opposite.
bxbrkrz wrote:
01 Jul 2023
Who's financing Internet Archive? Is it free and open without any censorship? Asking for a for a friend who likes reading pdf files while eating .onion
It's non-profit and it's all donations and grant type funding.

Not exactly sure who owns it but it is chaired by advocates for freedom of information. It seems similar to The Pirate Bay in that it is backed up multiple times, I read that The Internet Archive 'uses thousands of computer servers to save multiple digital copies of these pages' which as far as I know is some sort of fail safe so if it is taken down at one point, there are many more and more can be made.

I am very anti-censorship but I understand we will always need it to a degree. We can't have you for instance, murdering people and uploading videos of it and asking for donations, that would just be inappropriate! Speaking of the Internet Archive however, I have seen CDs that you can readily buy that are only sampled on the site with direct links to purchase the content, so there is that type of censored material, but for the most part it is very open, and that is where the debate lies.
Last edited by Jagwah on 02 Jul 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Jagwah

02 Jul 2023

plaamook wrote:
01 Jul 2023
Funny economy.
A VPN is cheaper than Netflix and Spotify combined.
You naughty little pirate minded deviate how dare you make suggestions that regular people could benefit from! :twisted:

Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2023

Jagwah wrote:
30 Jun 2023

I love the Internet Archive, its a treasure cove of old movies, for one it has the original Alien, just to name one

bxbrkrz

02 Jul 2023

Jagwah wrote:
02 Jul 2023
fullforce wrote:
01 Jul 2023

Good we are on the same page then, it's really hard to not get politcal here but things don't really happen to benefit humanity very often at this point in time, everything seems to point towards to opposite.
bxbrkrz wrote:
01 Jul 2023
It's non-profit and it's all donations and grant type funding.

Not exactly sure who owns it but it is chaired by advocates for freedom of information. It seems similar to The Pirate Bay in that it is backed up multiple times, I read that The Internet Archive 'uses thousands of computer servers to save multiple digital copies of these pages' which as far as I know is some sort of fail safe so if it is taken down at one point, there are many more and more can be made.

I am very anti-censorship but I understand we will always need it to a degree. We can't have you for instance, murdering people and uploading videos of it and asking for donations, that would just be inappropriate! Speaking of the Internet Archive however, I have seen CDs that you can readily buy that are only sampled on the site with direct links to purchase the content, so there is that type of censored material, but for the most part it is very open, and that is where the debate lies.
Brewster Kahle is an American digital librarian, computer engineer, Internet entrepreneur, and advocate of universal access to all knowledge.
He is the founder and director of the Internet Archive, a free digital library that archives World Wide Web documents and makes them universally accessible.
Kahle was inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame in 2012

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Jagwah

11 Jul 2023

Re8et wrote:
02 Jul 2023
I love the Internet Archive, its a treasure cove of old movies, for one it has the original Alien, just to name one

Glad you see it that way, I was able to find an old Australian movie 'Nirvana street murder' which can be hard to locate or even buy otherwise. IA is amazing for live stuff and cassette tape format music and recordings. A very valuable and important source for sure and I feel I have only scratched the surface. :thumbup:
bxbrkrz wrote:
02 Jul 2023
Brewster Kahle is an American digital librarian, computer engineer, Internet entrepreneur, and advocate of universal access to all knowledge.
He is the founder and director of the Internet Archive, a free digital library that archives World Wide Web documents and makes them universally accessible.
Kahle was inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame in 2012

That was great, he is definitely on the right side of history with all of this, I will look up more of him talking as it's very interesting to hear of their intentions and directions, thanks for sharing!!

Jagwah

11 Jul 2023

Go find yourselves some Nicky Blackmarket recordings, I used to think I was special because of one cassette tape of his I owned :)

• Information