DeLonghi espresso machine + vinegar cleaning?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
RobC

29 Jan 2023

I found an article that suggests using 100 ml vinegar, instead of DeLonghi's 50x more expensive cleaning fluid, which didn't even make the espresso machine last for a month! Now it's whining again to run the cleaning programme again!

Any experiences with this? (It's a fancier, semi-automatic machine)

BRIGGS

29 Jan 2023

I've had a few espresso machines.

I'd try using just water, first.

Then if things are stubborn, yeah vinegar can work. But, it's more work to get rid of any vinegar residue.

If things are super dirty...I'd try baking soda : )
r11s

RobC

29 Jan 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
29 Jan 2023

Then if things are stubborn, yeah vinegar can work. But, it's more work to get rid of any vinegar residue.

Well, it's because of the hard water. But I fear vinegar a bit. Sure, a lot cheaper, but if it destroys the machine, then that's a 3-400 € damage. x D Or at least 2 year warranty loss.

BRIGGS

29 Jan 2023

RobC wrote:
29 Jan 2023
BRIGGS wrote:
29 Jan 2023

Well, it's because of the hard water. But I fear vinegar a bit. Sure, a lot cheaper, but if it destroys the machine, then that's a 3-400 € damage. x D Or at least 2 year warranty loss.
I've used vinegar in espresso machines and coffee machines, with no problems.
r11s

turbopage
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2023

Prepare a solution of distilled water and 18% citric acid and do a wash cycle
Music Will Save Us

RobC

29 Jan 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
29 Jan 2023
RobC wrote:
29 Jan 2023

I've used vinegar in espresso machines and coffee machines, with no problems.
I'll probably go for that. Given that 20% vinegar is what I have right now anyway. (But the 50x more expensive fluid is a joke.)

RobC

29 Jan 2023

turbopage wrote:
29 Jan 2023
I only have 20% vinegar right now. And yeah it has a self-cleaning function. 1-2 hours of fun awaiting tomorrow... x D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2023

turbopage wrote:
29 Jan 2023
Yep
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

angorapostfrosch

30 Jan 2023

I always use citric acid powder/granules instead of expensive cleaner. Cheaper than the original cleaner, doesn't smell at all.
Also perfect for kettles. Safes time and energy when you get rid of the lime on the heating element.

Popey
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2023

As an owner of a delonghi espresso maker owner too I am following this. Let us know how you get on 👍

RobC

30 Jan 2023

angorapostfrosch wrote:
30 Jan 2023
I always use citric acid powder/granules instead of expensive cleaner. Cheaper than the original cleaner, doesn't smell at all.
Also perfect for kettles. Safes time and energy when you get rid of the lime on the heating element.
I understand, but 20% vinegar is still all I have ATM. Heck, I think about just using 50 ml of it, so it's surely not too strong. Though it might be too weak that way.

I think the cleaning programme uses 1.5 to 2 L water to begin with. So in reality, the machine gets a VERY diluted vinegar-water solution.

RobC

30 Jan 2023

Popey wrote:
30 Jan 2023
As an owner of a delonghi espresso maker owner too I am following this. Let us know how you get on 👍
Oh, let's see if this one gets destroyed first, eh? x D

I'll update it later. : )

Popey
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2023

RobC wrote:
30 Jan 2023
Popey wrote:
30 Jan 2023

:lol: let's hope it works. I have a couple of the cleaning solutions left or I would try myself.

RobC

30 Jan 2023

Popey wrote:
30 Jan 2023
RobC wrote:
30 Jan 2023

:lol: let's hope it works. I have a couple of the cleaning solutions left or I would try myself.
I got more feedback from others, and seems the vinegar indeed works. Some DeLonghi's 10+ years old!
Imagine all the coffee you can buy from the expensive fluid! ...wait, coffee is way more expensive than that. Still, you can buy better coffee with the money! : )
And it's not available locally here, so I gotta travel a bit otherwise.

Anyway, I'll go for it.

selig
RE Developer

30 Jan 2023

I’ve always used vinegar, not sure there’s any down side except for being sure to remove the water filter first (or replace it if it’s due to be replaced). I currently have a 6 yr old Breville which is just starting to show signs of age (some cycles don’t always stop at the correct time), and have always used vinegar as a cleaning/descaling agent.
But I’ve started looking at machines like the DeLonghi for a more ‘automated’ coffee experience, so would love to hear details about that family of machines and what to expect, in addition to specific recommendations if anyone is willing to do so!
Selig Audio, LLC

Popey
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
30 Jan 2023
I’ve always used vinegar, not sure there’s any down side except for being sure to remove the water filter first (or replace it if it’s due to be replaced). I currently have a 6 yr old Breville which is just starting to show signs of age (some cycles don’t always stop at the correct time), and have always used vinegar as a cleaning/descaling agent.
But I’ve started looking at machines like the DeLonghi for a more ‘automated’ coffee experience, so would love to hear details about that family of machines and what to expect, in addition to specific recommendations if anyone is willing to do so!
I have had this one for a couple of years now. Delonghi dedica. It makes a fairly good cup of coffee but a bit lacking in crema (and I use good beans which are ground just before I brew). I picked it up fairly cheap during black Friday.
Attachments
61refyVd5hL._AC_SS450_.jpg
61refyVd5hL._AC_SS450_.jpg (17.92 KiB) Viewed 658 times

RobC

30 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
30 Jan 2023
I haven't used a water filter yet, though found a cheap one to try and see if it makes any difference for taste.

Vinegar is said to be heavy on aluminium parts - when I once used it on a cheapo coffee machine, the parts became green, and screws went rusty. So, gotta be careful. But 100 ml 20% vinegar + 1-2 L water should be very light on this machine. Plus this hopefully has quality parts for the price.

I use the DeLonghi Magnifica S. It had everything needed. Coffee bean grinder, as well as storage for 200 g. And can do both espresso and long coffee. The amount of used coffee beans can be set on a wide range. It supports pre-ground coffee. Turns off automatically, if forgotten. Has both 1-2 cups option for whole beans. It automatically squeezes the freshly ground coffee; and throws the rests in its own container.
You can also set the grinding roughness (it's rather on the quiet side, by the way).
The annoying thing - turn on, then it first washes. Make a coffee. Turn it off - it washes again. x D - As of late, I let the washing water in my mug and mixed it with an espresso amount.

It has other features, like setting water temperature; or pressing the selected coffee button so that it lets out more water; you can pre-calibrate how much water the selected program lets out; then making hot air for making cappucino (manually), or letting out hot water for a tea or instant coffee through the same pipe.

It's glossy. We got it in black, and even with microfiber cloth, it's full of fine scratches. Dust is very visible. I wanted a white one, but wasn't available. On white, scratches and dust are the least visible, surprisingly.

Monthly, you have to take out the coffee making head and submerge in water. It's a bit odd to clean, but kind of fun and interesting.

And again, it has a cleaning cycle, which is a bit of a chore to do - and you definitely need the manual and do steps correctly.
Likewise for calibration, you need the manual.

All in all, kind of convenient, and a bit less messy.

Around 300-400 EUR/USD.

Other models might make cappuccino automatically, and maybe have better aroma-preserving containers ~ this one basically has just a lid on top of it, and that's it. Though the coffee didn't get any worse, so it works.
I already have an excellent device for foaming milk up, so I don't care for that feature. And on top of that, I almost hate cappuccino. x D

I perhaps miss the timer and morning automation. : D I think there were models with that feature, but for twice or trice the price (not sure about now).

RobC

30 Jan 2023

Popey wrote:
30 Jan 2023
selig wrote:
30 Jan 2023
I have had this one for a couple of years now. Delonghi dedica. It makes a fairly good cup of coffee but a bit lacking in crema (and I use good beans which are ground just before I brew). I picked it up fairly cheap during black Friday.
I bought that one, too, but was faulty, so it went back.

The crema may depend on the grounding roughness. That's one thing the one I mentioned, can set.

plaamook

31 Jan 2023

I don’t know about espresso machines but I use a 50/50 vinegar water mix for dive regulators. Prob similar material as it’s all pressurised etc. 5 min soak, go to work w a toothbrush, rinse in bicarbonate of soda mix to neutralise the acid.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

RobC

31 Jan 2023

plaamook wrote:
31 Jan 2023
I don’t know about espresso machines but I use a 50/50 vinegar water mix for dive regulators. Prob similar material as it’s all pressurised etc. 5 min soak, go to work w a toothbrush, rinse in bicarbonate of soda mix to neutralise the acid.
I would think, a coffee machine is a bit more vunerable. Also, I kind of worry to use anything that isn't pure liquid - fearing that some granule would get stuck and cause more harm than good.

selig
RE Developer

31 Jan 2023

RobC wrote:
30 Jan 2023
Vinegar is said to be heavy on aluminium parts - when I once used it on a cheapo coffee machine, the parts became green, and screws went rusty. So, gotta be careful. But 100 ml 20% vinegar + 1-2 L water should be very light on this machine. Plus this hopefully has quality parts for the price.
If you use pure vinegar and leave it to soak it CAN affect aluminum. BUT, it's also an extremely popular cleaning agent for aluminum when used properly, meaning basically never 'full strength' and always thuroughly rinse after cleaning. That can probably be said of many if not most cleaning products, as it's the same quality of vinegar that makes it good for cleaning that can also be bad for the parts if abused!
I've never heard of vinegar turning aluminum green when used as a cleaning product…
I did, however, find this article which mentions using vinegar (among other things) to clean oxidation from metals, including removing green patina on copper items! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

plaamook

31 Jan 2023

RobC wrote:
31 Jan 2023
plaamook wrote:
31 Jan 2023
I would think, a coffee machine is a bit more vunerable. Also, I kind of worry to use anything that isn't pure liquid - fearing that some granule would get stuck and cause more harm than good.
It’s more what it’s made of. But ok. W vinegar you’d only be worrying about tarnishing or corroding the finish. Yes a dive reg is thicker because it’s dealing w higher pressures but it doesn’t have to deal w heat. So…yeah.

Either way I’d try vinegar.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

RobC

31 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
31 Jan 2023
RobC wrote:
30 Jan 2023
If you use pure vinegar and leave it to soak it CAN affect aluminum. BUT, it's also an extremely popular cleaning agent for aluminum when used properly, meaning basically never 'full strength' and always thuroughly rinse after cleaning. That can probably be said of many if not most cleaning products, as it's the same quality of vinegar that makes it good for cleaning that can also be bad for the parts if abused!
I've never heard of vinegar turning aluminum green when used as a cleaning product…
I did, however, find this article which mentions using vinegar (among other things) to clean oxidation from metals, including removing green patina on copper items! ;)
In that case, god knows what that shit was made of, but I've regret wasting money on that one back then.
I think I did leave it soaking for too long in that case, but it still was a water + vinegar mix.
The current espresso machine is probably properly programmed, but it still does a bit of soaking - hopefully for the better.

But gods, I still didn't get to clean it! Oh well, tomorrow I won't sleep if need be.

Anyway, regarding my description of the DeLonghi machine, I again can say, it has nice automatic things, but at the same time, annoying things as well. Even if it keeps itself clean and safe from clogging.

I also had experience with yet another DeLonghi in the past for a few months during a visit (which I hear still works!) and while it's not as fancy, I would say, the coffee wasn't all that different from it.

Oh, and this current one, is kind of gigantic! x D Largest one I ever had! Plus it was around 10 kg weight!

RobC

31 Jan 2023

plaamook wrote:
31 Jan 2023
RobC wrote:
31 Jan 2023

It’s more what it’s made of. But ok. W vinegar you’d only be worrying about tarnishing or corroding the finish. Yes a dive reg is thicker because it’s dealing w higher pressures but it doesn’t have to deal w heat. So…yeah.

Either way I’d try vinegar.
I'm not super experienced with materials, and have long forgotten what we learned in school. I just fear a pricey machine, is all. : )

motuscott

31 Jan 2023

I loves the coffee. I makes it strong with paper cone filter and supermarket brand expresso. Granted this is nyc, if you're going to call it expresso, even in the supermarket, it needs to kick some ass. Could never fathom the degree of clean up involved with expresso machine. What are you gonna do when civilization breaks down and your barista is unreachable by cell phone?
These are the questions that keep me awake at night
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information