Hanging up my boots after 29 years

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
visheshl

07 Jan 2023

Been a great experience making computer based music especially with propellerhead software.
Got to explore and learn a lot in all these years.
But i think im done with computers in general.
So cheers 🍻

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2023

:o :shock: :?
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2023

Bet you don’t.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

JohnsonG

07 Jan 2023

Looking to mentor anyone? :-)

DaveyG

07 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2023
Been a great experience making computer based music especially with propellerhead software.
Got to explore and learn a lot in all these years.
But i think im done with computers in general.
So cheers 🍻
Are you giving up music completely or just the computer part?
I ask because I sometimes yearn for the days of the 4 track cassette Portastudio where you had very little in the way of editing options so you just had to play stuff live over and over until it worked. Anyone of that era will remember the pain of doing a near-perfect take and then discovering they had not recorded it properly or, worse, that they recorded a bad take over a great one. But maybe it was that risk and pressure that made everything more focussed. Or maybe we were just younger.

I've been spending less time synth-ing and more time strumming recently. But that's only a phase and I know I'll be back as a keyboard slave soon!

Best of luck in whatever you decide but don't sell your stuff unless you really need the cash.
Last edited by DaveyG on 07 Jan 2023, edited 1 time in total.

BananaSkins

07 Jan 2023

If your still thinking then your not done πŸ˜‰

visheshl

07 Jan 2023

Ok false alarm.
A little story :
So id been doing this whole pc assembly thing in the 90s, built many machines, but windows pc had always been problematic, sometimes the mobo would blow up, sometimes the smps etc...the i got a mac, that machine worked for a decade without hiccups, but it was growing old. and since mac have become very pricey if you want a good config which will last a long time. Also they're not upgradable anymore.
So i decided to buy a good windows pc again.

But when i bought it i had decided that this would be my last computer as i had blown so much money over the decades on music production.

But i bought a new cabinet for my relatively new pc yesterday.
And i really didn't have it in me to move the pc components from the old box to the new.
So i took it to a computer service center.
He took a whole day to do this, and finally said, sir the mobo is fried.
Thats when i remembered that i had decided that i'd ony make music until this pc would keep working.
So i was really furious, and i posted the opening post in anger.

When i became calmer, my dad said i should at least take the machine to another proper technician. And sure enough he got it working within half an hour.
Basically the earlier technician probably didn't know what he was doing.

So yeah,
Back in business!
My apologies for creating unnecessary drama over a small problem. πŸ™

Rising Night Wave

07 Jan 2023

haha visheshl. haha. i totally feel you. i know the s**tness around computers. i am also long time pc user. 35+ years. damn! only crap is with them. haha.
my my. sad to read that from first opening post. hehe. as said i know what you were going through.

that s**tness of pcs once fried my nervers and i literally threw my laptop out of the house in front of our hauses yard. haha. everything was demolished.
so i needed to buy almost all components new. hehe. it costed me a lot. damn and that laptop and windows and apps and games and drivers and everything.

ok. not to write too much. "welcome back" and have a nice doing and working with this you pc.
i hope it will last as long as possible without any problems.

thumbs up!
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2023

07 Jan 2023
No apologies needed, this forum runs on drama :twisted: :lol:
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

visheshl

07 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2023
07 Jan 2023
😁 @crimson

@risin night wave - my sarcasm detector is a little confused...anyway, look man different people have different experiences with different products ok. Maybe your experience was different from mine.
The point was not to diss PCs, the point was that i had decided that i wasn't going to spend more money on music production.
So when i was told that the mobo was fried, i had an angry reaction.
In case it wasn't sarcasm, then thanks friend.

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2023

07 Jan 2023
the point was that i had decided that i wasn't going to spend more money on music production.
How can you keep making music without keep spending money on music production, me confused :?

:puf_bigsmile:
-------

visheshl

07 Jan 2023

07 Jan 2023
07 Jan 2023
the point was that i had decided that i wasn't going to spend more money on music production.
How can you keep making music without keep spending money on music production, me confused :?

I know im confused too...but gotta draw a line somewhere man...

robussc

07 Jan 2023

07 Jan 2023
07 Jan 2023

I’ve just realized that I’ve recently finished ancquiring all the base components I’ve desired for most of my music making life.

So now I have no more excuses except for time and talent.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Rising Night Wave

07 Jan 2023

07 Jan 2023
07 Jan 2023

😁 @crimson

@risin night wave - my sarcasm detector is a little confused...anyway, look man different people have different experiences with different products ok. Maybe your experience was different from mine.
The point was not to diss PCs, the point was that i had decided that i wasn't going to spend more money on music production.
So when i was told that the mobo was fried, i had an angry reaction.
In case it wasn't sarcasm, then thanks friend.
visheshl, do not worry, it was not a sarcasm. not at all.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2023

robussc wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2023
07 Jan 2023

I’ve just realized that I’ve recently finished ancquiring all the base components I’ve desired for most of my music making life.

So now I have no more excuses except for time and talent.
I'm there for quite a while now (years), not actually needing anything else to make music. Maybe should have used more smilies. I do buy stuff every now and then, but only if I think it will add something to my setup that I don't have yet. I'm pretty GAS-resistant these days :puf_wink:

And indeed my only excuse is lack of time (working on that though for this year). I leave talent out of it, as that is debatable anyway :puf_bigsmile:
-------

DaveyG

07 Jan 2023

Haha visheshl. I think you need to stay away for a bit longer than that before you can call it a comeback.

visheshl

07 Jan 2023

DaveyG wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2023
Haha visheshl. I think you need to stay away for a bit longer than that before you can call it a comeback.
😁 Well in today's age of 5 second insta/tiktok reels and even lesser attension span, i think a couple of hours counts as a comeback 😁

Overtherainbow

07 Jan 2023

yes yes.jpg
yes yes.jpg (246.88 KiB) Viewed 1756 times

challism

07 Jan 2023

07 Jan 2023
07 Jan 2023
True story. Drama actually powers the servers.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2023

challism wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2023
07 Jan 2023

True story. Drama actually powers the servers.
OK, now you have to spill the beans: which Drama-kernel version are you running here :puf_bigsmile:
-------

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2023

Sounds like that first tech was looking for some business :P

Jac459

07 Jan 2023

I can't resist the opportunity of this thread to advertise the YouTube channel of my gf:
https://youtube.com/@TheNormalPeople
An example video:

Why is it in topic? Well it is totally in topic because she is a full apple user, not techie at all, a bank manager as day job and one weekend, she told me: I want to create a youtube channel where I will assemble and disassemble gaming PCs (she never did a YouTube channel before).
Obviously, as any male reasonably smart I didn't object and said "sure my love" thinking it would be forgotten 2 days after.
Well she actually runs it since 3 years and every weekend, she encounters exactly the kind of issues visheshi was explaining, and then she spend hours fixing it... and she loves it...

So PC issues can be fun.... for some people πŸ˜„.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

w1pl0c

07 Jan 2023

What.

BRIGGS

07 Jan 2023

w1pl0c wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2023
What.
r11s

• Information