What are your music related goals for 2023?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Popey
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2022

As the title says what are your music related goals for 2023, or do you have none and just go with the flow?

Personally mine is to really get to know the gear I have and try not to buy much more. I feel there is so much I have (and often upgraded with new features) that I need to use and enjoy.

What are your thoughts?

stillifegaijin

21 Dec 2022

1. I also plan to buy less (or no?) new stuff while making more use of what I currently have. I know I have more than I need to do what I need.

2. Try to find enjoyment in performing live again and get over feeling “too old” for it.

3. Figure out how to release and adequately promote the album we finished this year after 3+ years of working in it.

4. Have fun.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

Buy whatever the fuck I want and enjoy it while I’m still alive.

Maybe finish a song.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
21 Dec 2022
1. I also plan to buy less (or no?) new stuff while making more use of what I currently have. I know I have more than I need to do what I need.

2. Try to find enjoyment in performing live again and get over feeling “too old” for it.

3. Figure out how to release and adequately promote the album we finished this year after 3+ years of working in it.

4. Have fun.
Yep number 4 is very important and thankfully something that happens every time I open my Daw.

Best of luck with your album release too.

Popey
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

MrFigg wrote:
21 Dec 2022
Buy whatever the fuck I want and enjoy it while I’m still alive.

Maybe finish a song.
Sounds like a very fun plan 👍

Tiny Montgomery

21 Dec 2022

Justify the money I spent on the Macbook Pro lol and try not to drop it on the floor like i did less than 24 hours after it arrived.

Pretty happy with what I own software wise, looking forward to being able to run everything M1 native when Reason is updated. Some elements of my workflow seem to induce a big CPU hit eg running lots of Ableton LFOs in random/smooth modes so hopefully this will be helped when i dont have to run Ableton in Rosetta, its already better than on on my PC.

Starting to really dig in to generative methods of creating interesting sounds (and the RRP is absolutely key). Was reminded last night though of the importance of resampling that content and iterating further, instead of just leaving it to run and feeling pleased with myself because of all the pretty noises. Even though I know it always sounds better Im still quite lazy about this but BOUNCE YOUR AUDIO frequently and manipulate it.

Might even get round to putting some stuff out.

Tiny Montgomery

21 Dec 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
21 Dec 2022

Think of the old blues men. Think of the those from the rave years who are now wrong side of 50 and still going, some still innovating. Think of Brian Eno and his playful lets just have some fun and see what happens attitude.

Never feel too old!

DaveyG

21 Dec 2022

MrFigg wrote:
21 Dec 2022
Maybe finish a song.
Woah! Steady on there. :shock:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

DaveyG wrote:
21 Dec 2022
MrFigg wrote:
21 Dec 2022
Maybe finish a song.
It’s a goal. Not a “promise”.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Rising Night Wave

21 Dec 2022

Popey wrote:
20 Dec 2022
As the title says what are your music related goals for 2023, or do you have none and just go with the flow?

Personally mine is to really get to know the gear I have and try not to buy much more. I feel there is so much I have (and often upgraded with new features) that I need to use and enjoy.

What are your thoughts?
i usualy go with the flow. literally i do not do music with goals - to have an idea or wish how it should sound.
i also have a lot of stuff - not exactly the gear - but sound samples/libraries. even need to explore some that i bought. haven't checked them yet. not funny at all. hehe.

but my secret desire is to make, let's say, true underground sounding techno. not that commercially flavored techno. but real underground and raw, powerful techno.
that is my wish in general. i hope it not sounds lame or wannabe but it is like that. ... i also want to implement in my future techno songs some death metal growls.
that would be f amazing! lol i haven't heard something like that yet. i do have two of my songs containing some metal growls and they sounds great.

otherwise i always end with something different if i have a goal in my mind at the start. i tried to do that type of techno as i said before several times... but always ended with somethng different. more mellow and so on. so... my goal in next year is to make some decent techno with growls.

that would be all.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

DaveyG

21 Dec 2022

MrFigg wrote:
21 Dec 2022
DaveyG wrote:
21 Dec 2022

It’s a goal. Not a “promise”.
You should do a roadmap. :thumbup:

Jackjackdaw

21 Dec 2022

I am working towards putting a band together. Which I don’t feel too old for (40) . What I do feel too old for is writing in a group, jamming out/arguing about ideas and creative direction. So I am working on writing and arranging everything with scores to give to everyone and taking on a band leader role.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

My only goal is to put together all my "Songs from (insert year)" albums from the last 9 nine years and make them easily available. It'll take about a month or two. After that I'll most likely just go with the flow. I seem to create just as much music with that relaxed mindset compared to when I set up a bunch of goals, therefor I see no reason to pressure myself.

Gear/RE wise I'm gonna occasionally buy stuff here and there when I want something I find interesting. But overall I already have more than enough to keep me busy for years. And I've really enjoyed the deep dives into some of my old REs during this year. So it'll probably be a mix of exploring old stuff and creating with newly bought stuff that excites me in the moment.

miyaru

21 Dec 2022

I have posted a song idea a while ago with a story of a small, young elephant named Omni. I want to write a 5 song EP around this idea. So far I have three ideas yet, and want to finish the EP in 2023. If it turns out to be good, I want to release it maybe on Spotify, and I will release it anyway on Soundcloud. Also I would like to write a small simple children's book about Omni, to accompany to EP.

Lately I'm improving my bass guitar skills, and I want to do so much further in 2023!

At least have fun, that's for sure!!!!

On buying stuff: I want to save money for a new music PC, as my current PC does not support Window 11. I have an Intel i7-7700 system right now, and want to aim at an i9 system. With all the stuff involved it will set me back around € 2000,= for a new system.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

motuscott

21 Dec 2022

Same as always: Change the face of music as we know it.
C'mon lucky 23!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

miyaru

21 Dec 2022

motuscott wrote:
21 Dec 2022
C'mon lucky 23!
That would be great!!!!! Make music great again!!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Chizmata

21 Dec 2022

motuscott wrote:
21 Dec 2022
C'mon lucky 23!
sounds overdue. care to link me to your stuff? :D

motuscott

21 Dec 2022

Got no stuff
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Bes
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

i bought a webcam, i'm thinking about a youtube series where i show some RE's like Aggregate Music System
- Certified Reason expert

jam-s

21 Dec 2022

In 2023 I'll be getting my tiny studio room in the cellar into working condition. Most parts are already here, so it's mostly a matter of finding the time to build/arrange stuff.

rorystorm

21 Dec 2022

2022 has been a weird, tough year for me personally with my physical and mental health, largely covid related. Nothing dramatic but it means I've not been able to work for most of the year. (Also I turned fifty).On the upside that left me with a shit ton of time to make music and plenty of, uhhh, feelings... to make music about. So I've had the most productive year of my life and I've seen a huge improvement in my stuff, particularly in my technical skills.

In 2023, I want to...
1. well first of all in a few days I'm going out of town for a couple of weeks to house sit for my sister in Auckland. New Zealand is probably weird and exotic for most people but that's actually not very exciting, it's just a smallish generic city, a bit like a downsized LA. But I'll have the place to myself which means I can yell all I want into a microphone without freaking out my flatmates. So I have around thirty tracks or so that need vocals so I'm gonna boot camp myself and work on those and see if I can pull together enough for a decent album of song based material. I used to have real lyric writing skills but for one reason and another I've really lost my touch so I'm hoping to try and rebuild them.
2. I have a decent-ish voice too but that's also out of practice so I've been quite shying about releasing material with vocals. I want to get back into singing and be more confident with it.
3. One area I've always felt I've let my work down is that my production skills haven't been great. As I said I've been improving a lot though recently and my long term plan in 2023 is work more on production and sound design and get my music sounding more polished. I'm a really fast worker which is both a blessing and a curse so I'm going to try and invest more time in mixing and mastering.
3. One of the downsides of making so much stuff is that I feel like I've fallen into a bit of formula with some of it. My other plan for the next while is to try and push myself to work on new ideas.
4. Like everyone I guess I have a bunch of devices sitting gathering virtual dust, at least 3/4 of which are amazing. I'm going to try and spend some time learning how to use them, especially the cv modulation stuff.
5. My last thing is that I haven't really been actually listening that much to other people's music and what I have been playing has mostly been the same old stuff. As my health is finally improving I should have a job again soon (so yay, not being broke as fuck). With the kinda work I do I can listen to music on my headphones at the same time working so I'm going to try and get to know more new music because we're in a bit of a golden age right now and I'm just not hearing it.

plaamook

24 Dec 2022

I think the primary goal for 2023 is to come up w a new musical goal. 2022 was a real flat year musically. I’m not unhappy w what i produced but it all seems a bit directionless. I need to find a groove again.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2022

Regular music practice. Some classical, some jazz, and maybe some gospel.

• Information