Spectral synthesis is awesome.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Jac459

20 Dec 2022

I am an absolute fan of Reason/grain and I thought that I was a fan of grain synthesis... but in fact I am a huge fan of their tiny spectral module included inside grain.

As a bitwig user, I received 4 awesome spectral plugins and I think I could not live without them anymore....

I also own Iris from izotop but it is quite slow and I don't adore it.

Do you guys know other synths with great spectral capabilities?
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

huggermugger

20 Dec 2022

RE's alone, there are at least four that I know of, and maybe more. Europa includes spectral synthesis features, Parsec and Spectra are full-blown spectral synths, and Nostromo is a "spectrum-wavetable" synth.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 12.24.52 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 12.24.52 PM.jpg (489.17 KiB) Viewed 346 times

BRIGGS

20 Dec 2022

This one is super easy to layer with, and it's free:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/
r11s

plaamook

20 Dec 2022

Same. Love spec processing but things like parsec and europa…as opposed to grain…don’t really handle samples properly.
Not sure where the op is directed but I thought I’d chime in as it’s my area of interest.
As the ops mentioned grain and spectral effects in bjtwig im gonna assume they agree w what I’ve said.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Jac459

21 Dec 2022

plaamook wrote:
20 Dec 2022
Same. Love spec processing but things like parsec and europa…as opposed to grain…don’t really handle samples properly.
Not sure where the op is directed but I thought I’d chime in as it’s my area of interest.
As the ops mentioned grain and spectral effects in bjtwig im gonna assume they agree w what I’ve said.
I fully agree actually.

I do have parsec, nostrum, europa and spectra. Somehow I never had good fun with them. It may be my own issue but I don't see the crazy sample manipulation you can have with grain.

Is there any youtube video I can refere too?

For bitwig, the spectral effect they gave allows to apply different effect for different range of harmonics, or even separate in your sample what is high volume and what is high volume.

I felt the same excitement playing with this than 25 years ago when I discovered the low pass filter..
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

huggermugger

21 Dec 2022

Jac459 wrote:
21 Dec 2022

I do have parsec, nostrum, europa and spectra. Somehow I never had good fun with them. It may be my own issue but I don't see the crazy sample manipulation you can have with grain.
Spectral synthesis is -synthesis-, not sample manipulation. Parsec and Spectra are synthesizers, fully capable spectral synthesizers. Loom from AIR is another one, a very nice one actually.

If you're into spectral manipulation of samples, which is not the same as spectral synthesis, check out the vocoders in the Shop (including Reason's own BV512 or BV-X), a spectral delay such as SugarBytes Spectralizer RE, or search 'spectral processing'.

Jac459

21 Dec 2022

huggermugger wrote:
21 Dec 2022
Jac459 wrote:
21 Dec 2022

Spectral synthesis is -synthesis-, not sample manipulation. Parsec and Spectra are synthesizers, fully capable spectral synthesizers. Loom from AIR is another one, a very nice one actually.

If you're into spectral manipulation of samples, which is not the same as spectral synthesis, check out the vocoders in the Shop (including Reason's own BV512 or BV-X), a spectral delay such as SugarBytes Spectralizer RE, or search 'spectral processing'.
Yeah you are absolutely right, I am talking about spectral manipulation of samples...
In my view BV-X is doing some of the fun things but not the spectral snapping and filtering.
Parsec2 is doing the spectral snapping but... can't load samples...

Grain is the sweet spot (but it is only my view from my own limited experience).

The spectral suit from Bitwig is going even further but that's another topic...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

NMHindman

21 Dec 2022

Jac459 wrote:
20 Dec 2022
Check out DS Thorn, incredible and underrated synth. Frequently on sale for $20
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... thorn.html

Jac459

21 Dec 2022

NMHindman wrote:
21 Dec 2022
Jac459 wrote:
20 Dec 2022
Check out DS Thorn, incredible and underrated synth. Frequently on sale for $20
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... thorn.html
Thanks mate, I will definitely check out !
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information