Music production Checklist for new producers

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
visheshl

14 Dec 2022

So a question here prompted me to make a checklist, i thought why not make it here itself

So what is it you want to do ?
Music production.

For that what do you need first and foremost?
A really good computer.(probably a powerful mac)
A really capable DAW.(perhaps Ableton, bitwig etc. Or cubase etc depends)
A plethora of midi effects, instruments and fx.(RRP for me)
Good speakers to audition your music on.
A good pair of headphones.
A midi keyboard.
A midi controller or DAW control surface.

And if you wish to record audio from vocalists, musicians etc...
A nice audio interface or a USB mixer which allows you to record analogue sources.
Good microphones.
Acoustic treatment of the rooms.

You'd also want people like singer's and musicians to come and record with you...and that's the important part.

You'd also want to have a way to release the music you produce and a tie up with a music promotion business.

Feel free to add your thoughts and suggestions.

crimsonwarlock

15 Dec 2022

'Good' speakers without any acoustic treatment are a waste of money. Without treatment, any pair of cheap speakers will do because you won't reap the benefits from more expensive ones.

Secondly, if you want to use a MIDI keyboard, then you need low latency, which means you need a good audio interface (there are very affordable options). So, a nice audio interface is not only for recording. Asio4all is an option, but certainly no substitute for an audio interface with dedicated drivers.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

miyaru

18 Dec 2022

visheshl wrote:
14 Dec 2022
So a question here prompted me to make a checklist, i thought why not make it here itself

Music production.

A midi keyboard.

A nice audio interface or a USB mixer which allows you to record analogue sources.
Good microphones.

You'd also want people like singer's and musicians to come and record with you...and that's the important part.

You'd also want to have a way to release the music you produce and a tie up with a music promotion business.

A capable DAW? What about Reason, it is an all in one solution to start with!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

RobC

18 Dec 2022

Not sure whether you can't build a better Windows PC, than an Apple PC for the price. Depends in the long run, which is more expensive (including electricity). Maybe the M things might win?

Lol, you don't mention Reason on here as a DAW. Just combine with what's missing. ; )

I'd go for plugins that you need and use.

Seriously, there's got to be something I agree 100% on! x D Let's go on...

IEMs and or Speakers (but you need a good studio and good speakers). Adapt to IEMs and you're golden for a fraction of a pro studio room and speaker price. Headphones lastly, only if no other option. That said, test the music on any system you can!

Finally! : ) Controllers and keys absolutely. Makes life so much easier.

I'd say, depending on your needs, A/D and D/A converters, microphone pre-amplifiers, "headphone" amplifier. For a regular producer, the all-in-one toyboxes may do (they rip you off tho!) - but always check reviews and tests, such as AudioScienceReview.
Personally, I'd love to find some quality microphone pre-amp and A/D-C with a fair price, but alas, no luck yet. And I'm stuck with a Rode NT1 microphone which I can't use ATM. x D But at least I have perfect listening quality, so I still can produce and engineer. Well, record, too, but my secondary, USB mic is kinda inferior. Still good, but not the best.

The rest is rather about networking, collab. and marketing.

RobC

18 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
15 Dec 2022
'Good' speakers without any acoustic treatment are a waste of money. Without treatment, any pair of cheap speakers will do because you won't reap the benefits from more expensive ones.

Secondly, if you want to use a MIDI keyboard, then you need low latency, which means you need a good audio interface (there are very affordable options). So, a nice audio interface is not only for recording. Asio4all is an option, but certainly no substitute for an audio interface with dedicated drivers.
Topping E30 II and L30 II max out sound quality (though DAC and HP amp only). At 300 EUR total, I can't complain. They are the Rode NT1 of DACs and HP amps for me. : )
Now if only they would do mic preamps and ADCs, too... : (

visheshl

18 Dec 2022

miyaru wrote:
18 Dec 2022
visheshl wrote:
14 Dec 2022

Music production.

A midi keyboard.

Good microphones.

A capable DAW? What about Reason, it is an all in one solution to start with!!!!
Yes of course 👍👍
I just stated as daw and instruments/fx etc to keep it more clear.
Of course reason itself is amazing.

RobC

18 Dec 2022

Also, this is a Tutorial topic ~ : )

Also, just because some of us aren't all that cutsie-wootsie animu UwU people x D doesn't mean that deep down we aren't cutsie-wootsie animu UwU people, lol.

• Information