SSD Data recovery quoted at $890

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
mbfrancis

15 Nov 2022

Well I thought I'd backed up everything critical but as I've been reviving old sessions I realize I'm missing a decade of old refills, loops, samples, and Reason sessions that was left on my old laptop, which my wife and kid have been using. Looks like someone spilled something into it. FML as the kids used to say.

I took my pc to a reputable service place and was quoted $890 for data recovery. Is this normal? At that rate I'll probably suck it up and take the loss. Ugh.

Back up everything people, not just the vital stuff. You never know when your session will include some random Prophet 5 waveforms you downloaded 10 years ago.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

crimsonwarlock

15 Nov 2022

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Heater

15 Nov 2022

$890 seems reasonable if they are a good place. How important is that data to you?

RobC

15 Nov 2022

I once lost 10 years of work, but honestly it felt like 'good riddance'. x D Dunno, I just move forward.

jam-s

15 Nov 2022

If the SSD is really toast (aka controller does not work any more and they have to directly read out the flash) that price is OK. If it just got a little wet/sticky you could clean it, dry it and try to read it out yourself.

joeyluck

15 Nov 2022

I would think it would be worth at least exploring what you would need and the cost of trying to recover it yourself.

That said, if it can be recovered today, can it be recovered down the road? Might recovery costs go down as the tech improves? Or might the cost go up later as the current storage becomes outdated?

BRIGGS

15 Nov 2022

I'd take the SSD apart, let it dry out, first.
r11s

mbfrancis

16 Nov 2022

OK update -- the computer is a loss but U found an older drive where I *had* backed up everything (at the time), so between the two drives I think I'm good. Phew.

Now my biggest problem is data transfer speed ...

Thanks everyone!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information