Anybody living in Norway?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Jac459

29 Sep 2022

Hello, this question is not at all related to music.
I am going to Norway on holidays for Christmas/New year with my kids. I will be doing the fjords then tromso and kirkenes.
My question is... How to dress. I plan to be often outside and Iwas hoping to do mini-trecks like few hours outside.
I will be with my kids (10, 13, 15).

I am planning to go to decathlon this weekend and break my credit card. But what should I really buy?
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
29 Sep 2022
I am going to Norway on holidays for Christmas/New year with my kids. I will be doing the fjords then tromso and kirkenes.
My question is... How to dress. I plan to be often outside and Iwas hoping to do mini-trecks like few hours outside.

I am planning to go to decathlon this weekend and break my credit card. But what should I really buy?
I live about half way up in Sweden. Around that time of year it can get to about -30C so you’re going to want layers, a warm jacket, a hat, gloves and good boots.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

RobC

29 Sep 2022

Decathlon? Lol, they are dirt cheap and strong as f...
But I guess a LOT of stuff CAN get pricey at once. A good choice nevertheless. I shop there, too when going out to the battlefield.

PhillipOrdonez

29 Sep 2022

Yeah you need to layer up. Good shoes that don't get wet. Listen to Mr Figg. I live the West of Norway so it's not the same.

Where are you from?

PhillipOrdonez

29 Sep 2022

By the way.... Which fjords? 😂😂😂

Jac459

30 Sep 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Sep 2022
Yeah you need to layer up. Good shoes that don't get wet. Listen to Mr Figg. I live the West of Norway so it's not the same.

Where are you from?
I am from France but have been living in Singapore since 12 years. Temperature between 29 and 31 degree Celsius night and day, all the year. No variation.
And my kids are also not used lol.
So yes, ok, I will layer 😊. Thanks for the heads-up.

So you are from West of Norway? I am visiting Bergen, tromso and a few other cities. It seems really awesome.
Last edited by Jac459 on 30 Sep 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

30 Sep 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Sep 2022
By the way.... Which fjords? 😂😂😂
I am not sure, I am going from Oslo to Flåm then boat and train to Bergen. Does it answer your question? I took the norway in a nutshell tour that is the classical one advised in forums. It's it a good choice?
After I have an Airbnb in Bergen to try to visit a bit, then hurtigruten to Tromso, then stop again in Airbnb, then hurtigruten to Kirkenes.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

30 Sep 2022

RobC wrote:
29 Sep 2022
Decathlon? Lol, they are dirt cheap and strong as f...
But I guess a LOT of stuff CAN get pricey at once. A good choice nevertheless. I shop there, too when going out to the battlefield.
Yeah. With 3 kids, the "times 4" everytime I do something is crazy ha ha. So thanks to decathlon, I think I will pay something like 300 euros... But times 4 lol....
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

30 Sep 2022

MrFigg wrote:
29 Sep 2022
Jac459 wrote:
29 Sep 2022

I live about half way up in Sweden. Around that time of year it can get to about -30C so you’re going to want layers, a warm jacket, a hat, gloves and good boots.
How can you play guitare such a cold weather 😅😅😅. I admire you.
Sweden makes us dream too, I think we'll try to go also.
Northern Europe is awesome.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
30 Sep 2022
MrFigg wrote:
29 Sep 2022

The air in Sweden has resulted in quite a few guitar casualties. In the winter the air is really dry so the wood shrinks and then when things start warming up again the wood expands and cracks. I lost a few good guitars to that. The air in Glasgow, where I’m originally from, lies at 100% humidity as it rains 362 days a year. Guitars love it.
Actually, first gig I played in Sweden was outdoors at xmas and it was -18. It was like play a chord, breathe on hands to warm them up then play another chord. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jac459

01 Oct 2022

MrFigg wrote:
30 Sep 2022
Jac459 wrote:
30 Sep 2022

The air in Sweden has resulted in quite a few guitar casualties. In the winter the air is really dry so the wood shrinks and then when things start warming up again the wood expands and cracks. I lost a few good guitars to that. The air in Glasgow, where I’m originally from, lies at 100% humidity as it rains 362 days a year. Guitars love it.
Actually, first gig I played in Sweden was outdoors at xmas and it was -18. It was like play a chord, breathe on hands to warm them up then play another chord. :).
Oh my, I can imagine. Extrem conditions for wood and human skin lol...

Glasgow is ALSO in my to-do list actually.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

plaamook

02 Oct 2022

I've spent quite a bit of time in Norway in the winter. Some of it in the far north in Andøya which is near Tromsø and I've been surprised at how cold it wasn't actually.
Figg is inland but the sea in Norway can keep things comparatively mild.
Yeah...bring layers. But don't panic. It might only be like -10c
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2022

plaamook wrote:
02 Oct 2022
I've spent quite a bit of time in Norway in the winter. Some of it in the far north in Andøya which is near Tromsø and I've been surprised at how cold it wasn't actually.
We’re about 30km in from the sea.
I’d say you need to take in the wind chill factor if you’re on the coast. That’ll cut right through you. Strangely enough, if you’re in Stockholm, Gamla Stan is always colder than the rest of the city as a result of it being surrounded by water.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

02 Oct 2022

plaamook wrote:
02 Oct 2022
But don't panic. It might only be like -10c
I'm chuckling at you telling someone who is living at a constant +30C that it might "only" be -10C :-)

PhillipOrdonez

02 Oct 2022

30c all the time sounds like a terrible nightmare for me 😱 yikes 😂😂😂 I'm going to guess it is also humid 🥵

plaamook

02 Oct 2022

MrFigg wrote:
02 Oct 2022
plaamook wrote:
02 Oct 2022
We’re about 30km in from the sea.
I’d say you need to take in the wind chill factor if you’re on the coast. That’ll cut right through you. Strangely enough, if you’re in Stockholm, Gamla Stan is always colder than the rest of the city as a result of it being surrounded by water.
Gulf Stream tends to warm things up. That’s my understanding. I can’t say too much. I spent a month in the Arctic up there around March a few years ago. Coldest we saw was -8. Loads of snow though. Which the locals said they hadn’t seen for a few years at that point. Saw -16 in fjords south of Oslo where I spent more time over two years in winter.
But I once saw -40 in New York State near Albany and that is quite farther south than Norway. Again, Gulf Stream.

Whatever. It’s an amazing place. One of the most beautiful places I’ve been.
And we can haggle over temps till the coos come home. Either way it’s bloody cold up there
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

PhillipOrdonez

02 Oct 2022

Yes it is the gulf stream.

• Information