Second Love: what do you like beside music making?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
miyaru

21 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
21 Sep 2022
miyaru wrote:
20 Sep 2022

Maybe meet there while I visit the Bax shop?
Can do :puf_bigsmile: Just drop me a note when you plan to come this way.
Thanx! :thumbup:
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

motuscott

21 Sep 2022

Reading and living alone.
Not necessarily in that order
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

dvdrtldg

21 Sep 2022

Bushwalking, swimming, anything outdoors. And cooking, lots of cooking

I also make picture frames, my partner is an artist and I do her framing. It's nice, my day job involves lots of reading/writing/editing/thinking so I really enjoy the simple repetitive process of making these basic but lovely forms. Here's a recent batch of smaller ones

Occasional supervision from the local wildlife

challism

22 Sep 2022

integerpoet wrote:
20 Sep 2022
miyaru wrote:
20 Sep 2022
Just wondering what everybody does when not making music in their free time.
First I work too much and now you want me to have two hobbies? Sheesh. Some people are just never happy. :puf_smile:
ha ha ha... same here

My kids are the way I spend most of my time. Work takes up too much of my time.
Screenshot 2022-09-22 121614.png
Screenshot 2022-09-22 121614.png (337.26 KiB) Viewed 660 times
And whatever time I have left, I do Reason-related stuff (beta testing, starting new projects, trying to finish old ones, etc) and play guitar so I don't lose my "skills". Also trying to remember to practice the piano... for the past 20 years... just can't seem to be very diligent about it (I'll probably never be good at piano).

I like learning, so I spend a lot of time reading about whatever it is I'm curious about that day; lots of Rabbit Holes! I've come to realize that, despite its horrible reputation, Wikipedia isn't all that bad.

I decided to go back to school during the pandemic. So I'm spending some of my spare time working on my Master's degree... very slowly. One class at a time. Maybe I will finish it before I die.

Oh... and my kids got pet guinea pigs. We thought we had two boys. Well, turns out one of them was a girl. So now we have 4 of them. The two babies are girls... we think... hope... certainly don't want more of them. Now I spend a lot of my spare time cleaning up guinea pig shit. Sometimes I feel like I'm working on my Master's degree in Guinea Pig Cleanup; maybe even a doctorate.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mcatalao
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
20 Sep 2022

:thumbs_up: video games...mostly Ace combat 7, Gears of War 5, Gta 5, and others...
Doing stuff with my family, i have a daughter with 15 and a son with 11... They are also into music, both study at conservatorium, so life gets real busy after work and kids. And if the time allows me, I recently got into Sim Racing (Most frequently Dirt Rally 2 and GT7). I also play other games, but non on the hundreds of hours like the Sim Racing.

miyaru

22 Sep 2022

Wow how different is everybody's second love……. I am really amazed!

Yeah everybody is extreme bussy, that is todays live I guess.

But whatever we do, we must remember to enjoy the simple things in live as well………
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

plaamook

22 Sep 2022

@challism
I had a hamster named Howard once. Same thing. We figured that big sack like bulge trailing behind it was filled with testicles.
Who knew.
She died a horrible death.
She was wandering around in one of those clear plastic hamster balls and I accidentally booted her across the room.
I felt awful.
Life is like that some times.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

dvdrtldg

22 Sep 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
20 Sep 2022
Im thinking of trying Japanese but my goodness that language is hard. But my friend told me it was one of his most rewarding languages that he learned. He was C2 fluent.
I spend a fair bit of time in Japan, lived in Tokyo for a couple of years at one point and go back there as often as I can. I'm not in any way fluent, but I do think that as far as basic conversation goes, Japanese is pretty straightforward. It's very logical, the grammatical structures are simple and there are very few exceptions to rules (e.g. almost none of those irregular verb forms that we have in English)

Making the leap from n00b to pro user is tricky because of all the different registers - special vocabularies and idioms that depend on who you're talking to & how formal or familiar you're supposed to be in any given situation. It's all fiendishly nuanced and takes a long time to get the feel of it (although by and large, foreigners aren't expected to master it). And then there's the reading & writing, a lifetime's worth of kanji study

But the nice thing about Japanese is that you can be up & running with the grammar and conversational vocabulary surprisingly fast, and build a good solid functional base from which to work on the other stuff. Gambatte kudasai

Jac459

22 Sep 2022

My second passion is obviously...
Listening to music lol.

I am also passionate about coding, I have a github with a few hundred users to maintain.

Then I spend a lot of my free time doing sport.

And then I have 3 kids 😅.

... And I have a day job that I like enough.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Rising Night Wave

22 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
22 Sep 2022
Listening to music lol.

I am also passionate about coding, I have a github with a few hundred users to maintain.

well, that's praiseworthy :D
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Jac459

23 Sep 2022

Rising Night Wave wrote:
22 Sep 2022
Jac459 wrote:
22 Sep 2022
Listening to music lol.

well, that's praiseworthy :D
No no, not at all haha.
I am just a very enthusiastic guy so I go to my passions to the max...

When I got my kids I stopped music 100% because I am not able to regulate the timing on my passions.
Now kids are bigger so it is much easier.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

dakta

24 Sep 2022

I do a bit of photography, nothing special as I've only got a point and click and a gopro for urban timelapse and driving timelapse etc

Recently got into Blender, so i've been doing some renders, really one day I'd love to marry the hobbies with music and do some kind of music video/presentation.

Getting an uplift at work apparently so I'm hoping to stretch to an RTX video card (probably just an RTX3060) for blender renders and a Blackmagic pocket 4k camera so we can do it a bit more seriously

rorystorm

24 Sep 2022

When I was younger I had a huge amount of creative energy and I did a bit of everything, photography, painting, creative writing, performance art, was quite a successful poet for a while, God help me - making music was probably the last thing I really got into. Like a lot of people I guess, I started off as a record collector nerd, but I was always really intimidated by musicians and in wasn't until I was in my early 20s when I started meeting people in bands socially that I figured out that if these idiots can do this then probably so can I. (Because that's the kind of jerk attitude I had back then). Plus I got into punk and the DIYness of it was something that resonated with me.

Me and my friends were also into urban hiking and urban exploration. Auckland, where I lived, has a relatively small population but it's spread out over a big area so there was always somewhere new to go and you could walk for hours. We'd break into old buildings and construction sites, maybe liberate some paint and shit for art materials, do a lot of dumpstering... a bit dodgy really, and we ended up taking some stupid, dangerous risks. It kind of came to a crunch, literally, when one of my friends got seriously hurt falling off of some scaffolding and after that it didn't seem like so much fun.

Later on I moved to Dunedin which had an amazing band scene (it still does) and that's when I focused mostly just on making music. I did radio shows, DJd, solo singer songwriter stuff, and played guitar in some experimental/noise bands. After a while I moved town again, to Wellington and I've never really got into the scene here so much. About the same time I started to feel like I'd done everything I could with guitar based music, got a copy of Reason and learnt how to make beats and use synths, and along with that my taste in listening changed a lot and I got into electronic music in a big way (although I'd been very enthusiastic about dance parties in the early 90s but more for the, ah, associated recreational pursuits). Electronic music suited me more as well because I was really just making stuff on my own, not really knowing anyone in the scene here.

It was also complicated by my partner at the time who hated going to gigs and when I played out it was always a fucking nightmare because of that. I was still writing a fair bit but everything else I did had kinda just fell away. When we had kids the pram was seriously in the hall and art was out the door and while I did still piss about a bit I didn't do anything serious for a few years because I was putting my energy into trying to be a good parent. After that relationship ended I lived by myself and had a lot more freedom to focus on being creative again, and my music really took off, particularly as I had the time to develop my technical and production skills - still not great but certainly a lot better than they were.

Now I see music as my actual occupation and although I don't make much $$$ from it and not that many people listen to my shit, everything else I do is to feed into it. Because I'm basically middle aged I'm much less physically active so in my downtime now I bingewatch tv and do gaming if I'm not at my keyboard or basically just drink cups of tea and nap.

Sorry that was a big rant!!

challism

25 Sep 2022

plaamook wrote:
22 Sep 2022
@challism
I had a hamster named Howard once. Same thing. We figured that big sack like bulge trailing behind it was filled with testicles.
Who knew.
She was wandering around in one of those clear plastic hamster balls and I accidentally booted her across the room.
I felt awful.
Oh man, that is terrible. At least it was a fast death (assuming you can kick fairly hard).
I think a pet hamster would be a better choice because you can have just one. Guinea pigs are the opposite of Highlander.. there CANNOT be only one. They are social animals and it is cruel to keep only one as a pet. I've read it's actually illegal to buy/sell only Guinea pig in Switzerland; you must buy/sell them in pairs. The get incredibly lonely and can die from it, I guess.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

plaamook

25 Sep 2022

challism wrote:
25 Sep 2022
plaamook wrote:
22 Sep 2022
@challism
Who knew.
I felt awful.
Oh man, that is terrible. At least it was a fast death (assuming you can kick fairly hard).
No. She broke her back. Paralysed from the waist down. Spent the night chewing her little feet. Blood all over. Dead by morning. It was really horrid.
Looking back I should have flattened her head w a hammer but I couldn’t bring myself to do it.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

motuscott

25 Sep 2022

Thread took dark turn...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Jac459

25 Sep 2022

challism wrote:
22 Sep 2022
Very courageous to restart a master degree after a long time. Kudos to you ! You got all my respect...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

25 Sep 2022

motuscott wrote:
25 Sep 2022
Thread took dark turn...
To say the least, lol....
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

selig
RE Developer

25 Sep 2022

I’ve been a photography hobbyist since high school when I took a dark room class, and also ‘explore’ video from time to time. I also spend time outdoors, these days working on building trails around our property. Otherwise, traveling, hiking, and camping compliment the photography hobby, and all of these seem to feed my music habit/creativity.
Oddly, my own music is another hobby, since more of my time has been spent on other folks music!
Selig Audio, LLC

Jac459

25 Sep 2022

selig wrote:
25 Sep 2022
I’ve been a photography hobbyist since high school when I took a dark room class, and also ‘explore’ video from time to time. I also spend time outdoors, these days working on building trails around our property. Otherwise, traveling, hiking, and camping compliment the photography hobby, and all of these seem to feed my music habit/creativity.
Oddly, my own music is another hobby, since more of my time has been spent on other folks music!
I stopped doing music for almost 2 weeks because I am working a lot to prepare a backpack/hiking/camping (very soft) in Norway this Christmas with the kids. I plan to capture the Northern Lights, make dogs sledding with the kids.
I am trying very hard to resist buying a camera for the occasion because I don't need a new passion :-).
My gf is telling me that anyway, as a beginner I won't have results significantly different from a good smartphone, you agree ?
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

selig
RE Developer

25 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
25 Sep 2022
selig wrote:
25 Sep 2022
I stopped doing music for almost 2 weeks because I am working a lot to prepare a backpack/hiking/camping (very soft) in Norway this Christmas with the kids. I plan to capture the Northern Lights, make dogs sledding with the kids.
I am trying very hard to resist buying a camera for the occasion because I don't need a new passion :-).
My gf is telling me that anyway, as a beginner I won't have results significantly different from a good smartphone, you agree ?
If you’re not familiar with cameras I wouldn’t suggest diving in right before a big trip - you may end up spending all your time learning a new toy rather than enjoying the moment! I WOULD suggest some sort of little portable tripod because you’ll likely need it for the night shots, or for including yourself in family photos.
Selig Audio, LLC

Jac459

25 Sep 2022

selig wrote:
25 Sep 2022
If you’re not familiar with cameras I wouldn’t suggest diving in right before a big trip - you may end up spending all your time learning a new toy rather than enjoying the moment! I WOULD suggest some sort of little portable tripod because you’ll likely need it for the night shots, or for including yourself in family photos.
Oh my god, that's word for word exactly what my gf told me (she is super passionate about photo), including the part with the small tripod...

I guess I will have to listen to the voice of wisdom :-).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

rsnsnds

27 Sep 2022

I started to learn to use Blender 3d, which is a free 3d graphics software

Aosta

27 Sep 2022

rsnsnds wrote:
27 Sep 2022
I started to learn to use Blender 3d, which is a free 3d graphics software
I've wanted to learn Blender for ages but have never had the time to dive in as it looks like a deep way down but now I have caught the Poker bug and studying GTO (Game Theory Optimum) and exploitative strategy which is hurting my brain :?
Tend the flame

rsnsnds

28 Sep 2022

Since version 2.8 Blender got a new interface which makes it easier to learn.

And now you can find many tutorials on Youtube which is very helpful

• Information