don't deprive yourself

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
integerpoet

29 Jul 2022

I finally plugged my production headphones onto my consumption system and all my records are new again.

(i.e. unplugged them from my "artist" computer and plugged them into my day-job computer)

Turns out professional engineers really really really know what they are doing. Who knew?

I should have done this a long time ago. Life-changing.

miyaru

31 Jul 2022

What do you mean?
You listened to “pro” recordings on a consumer laptop?
Or did you listen to your own recordings on a consumer laptop?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

integerpoet

31 Jul 2022

Ah. No wonder this message got no response. I was obtuse. As usual.

On one desk, I have two computers, one I use for my day job and one I use for music production (among other things).

I had ancient good-enough-for-most-consumers headphones on my day-job computer and good ("reference") headphones on my music production computer with USB headphone amp.

I sometimes listen to commercially produced music while doing my day job.

Until recently, I didn't think of moving the good headphones between computers.

I think this is probably because the good headphones are high impedance and I assumed the headphone output on the day-job computer wouldn't be able to drive them, and I didn't feel like moving the amp and so I convinced myself to live with the ancient good-enough-for-most-consumers headphones.

But the day-job computer can drive the good headphones by itself. I learned this a few months ago and for some reason did nothing about it until a few days ago.

Don't make my mistake, folks! :puf_smile:

miyaru

01 Aug 2022

Oh, I do that regularly for some time now, since I have my Presonus Monitor Station V2. With this device I switch between my music pc, my day job pc and a cd player to either my Presonus Eris E8 monitors or my Beyer Dynamic DT 770 pro 250 ohm cans.

I use Spotify on my music pc too, and have also some cd quality reference tracks on this pc.

One of my reference tracks is from ICT

[media]
[/media]
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

• Information