Experiences and opinions of Behringer

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
challism

11 Dec 2021

Word is that Behringer is working on a new DAW and it will be free. That got me to thinking that I really don't know much about this company, although I've seen the name everywhere. That led me to this video. I found it to be interesting.

What are your experiences, opinions of Behringer?

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

guitfnky

11 Dec 2021

I think I watched that video a while back. as I recall, the criticisms were all valid, but at the end of the day, I’m not about buying stuff from companies because I respect them—I buy stuff that fills a need or desire for me. if respecting a company’s business practices was a prerequisite, I’d buy almost nothing from anyone—including RS products these last couple of years.

so, that said, I’m a big proponent of what Behringer are doing in terms of making quality hardware accessible to more people, by putting it out at affordable price points. to me, the idea that a good analog synth has to cost thousands of dollars, because of the name stamped on it, is insane. so I bought a Behringer. same rationale goes for many products in their lineup. I don’t care about whether they’re mimicking other companies’ designs (companies do that all the time).

I guess they had some QC issues a long time ago (late 90s/early 00s, I want to say?), which soured some people’s opinion of them for a lot longer than it should have. they fixed that, and make some really good quality stuff. I’ve owned a bunch of their products over the years, and had no problems with quality.

as for their DAW, it’s something I’m very interested in seeing what they do with. from what I’d seen in the past in their facebook posts, it sounds pretty ambitious, but that could be a bad thing as easily as a good thing. we’ll have to wait to see.

one thing I hope they do is start providing their own ASIO drivers for their interfaces. I understand they rely on ASIO4ALL for low latency drivers because they haven’t made their own, and that’s…weird, for a company that size.

so I guess all in all, my experience is that they make great products.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

11 Dec 2021

The recently released edge doesn't sound at all like the thing it is cloning (the dfam) so 🤷‍♂️

challism

11 Dec 2021

Yeah, it seems that, generally speaking, people really like most of their gear. I've seen the name everywhere for what seems like the past 2 decades, but for some reason I always unfairly dismissed them as a cheap, low-quality alternative. ;that was an ignorant and unsubstantiated assumption made based on little-to-no information.

I am currently looking at some of their MIDI controllers and audio interfaces. And I am excited to see what their approach to a DAW will be. The way things are going with Reason, I might be forced to use it as a plugin in the future. :(
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Zac

11 Dec 2021

I currently own the Deepmind 6 synthesizer, UMC1820 audio interface, a xenyx mixer and a dj mixer (neither currently in use).

The deepmind is a beauty of a synth. I'll never sell it. I got it 2nd hand for £350. I have it on a stand and it feels like a quality instrument to me. I love to sit down with it.

I've also had an MS1 but sold it to consolidate my set up but would have one again in an instant. So powerful for the price. I didn't love it like I do the deepmind because it is plastic but boy those snappy envelopes are lovely.

I frequent the elektronauts forum and Behringer get bashed over there but I'm very grateful for their affordable products.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Dec 2021

I think the interesting bits they offer on a budget are the synths. However questionable tactics, and inability to emulate the sound of the stuff they clone, there are good offerings like the neutron, or the deepmind 12.

I still think they are a cheap, low quality brand, though.

Regarding the daw, we shall see, they aren't known for their software skills though so I have zero expectations there.

Creativemind

11 Dec 2021

Zac wrote:
11 Dec 2021
I currently own the Deepmind 6 synthesizer, UMC1820 audio interface, a xenyx mixer and a dj mixer (neither currently in use).

The deepmind is a beauty of a synth. I'll never sell it. I got it 2nd hand for £350. I have it on a stand and it feels like a quality instrument to me. I love to sit down with it.

I've also had an MS1 but sold it to consolidate my set up but would have one again in an instant. So powerful for the price. I didn't love it like I do the deepmind because it is plastic but boy those snappy envelopes are lovely.

I frequent the elektronauts forum and Behringer get bashed over there but I'm very grateful for their affordable products.
I don't own one so only watched vids. I think it sounds decent but doesn't sound as lush as a Juno-60 or 106 and I gather it's meant to be a Juno range emulation. Still sounded nice though. I have an MS-1 and that sounds identical to an SH-101. I would really love a TD-3 MO and a Blue Marvin 2600. Crave sounds tasty as well for mono bass lines and that.

As for the daw, I would just like to add the only bit of info I have heard on the grapevine, apparently it's gonna be free.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

guitfnky

11 Dec 2021

not yet tried their MIDI controllers, but I’ll probably try picking up their FCB floor controller or whatever it’s called, to see if running a live rig off laptop is viable for me. I also have the Deepmind 6, and the thing blows my plasticky, weak sounding microKorg out of the water in both sound and build quality—a polyphonic analog synth vs a digital one, for I think it was only like $100 or $150 more.

I’ve got an 8 channel mixer I use daily and a single speaker studio grotbox I use for mono/reference checks—both great quality.

I also have two of their SM57 clone knockoff mics (for $20 apiece, I had to try). they’re the only weak point of the Behringer stuff I have. they work okay, but the build quality is understandably flimsy when compared to an actual 57, and they’re transformerless, so they don’t sound identical either. they sound fine though and are okay for light/basic use. not really worth it if you have other options already though.

xylyx

11 Dec 2021

guitfnky wrote:
11 Dec 2021

one thing I hope they do is start providing their own ASIO drivers for their interfaces. I understand they rely on ASIO4ALL for low latency drivers because they haven’t made their own, and that’s…weird, for a company that size.
I've had their UMC202HD for a few years now and they provide ASIO drivers for that, so I presume any newer interfaces will have the same.

guitfnky

11 Dec 2021

xylyx wrote:
11 Dec 2021
guitfnky wrote:
11 Dec 2021

I've had their UMC202HD for a few years now and they provide ASIO drivers for that, so I presume any newer interfaces will have the same.
ah, interesting —didn’t know that. I kept seeing posts about needing to use ASIO4ALL on other forums with their interfaces, but they could have been older comments.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2021

I've had the UMC404HD for 2 years and it has served me well. I'm interested in the BCR32 which is an updated version of the BCR2000 MIDI Controller.
It has a 32-step, four-track polyphonic sequencer. Also, two independent MIDI controls per track (program change, aftertouch, pitch bend, CCs) and four CV/Gate and Sync connectors for controlling synths, drum machines and other hardware.
4 CV and 4 Gate Out, MIDI In, Out and Thru.. Sync In/Out and 2 foot switches.

The news of this midi controller was released in January 2021 and not a word since. They could release it along with their new DAW. I just hope they haven't dropped the controller altogether or they may have something else up their sleeve. What ever happens it seems a decent bit of kit for a possible retail price of £112 based on this article's estimation : https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/01/be ... encer.html

zoidkirb

11 Dec 2021

guitfnky wrote:
11 Dec 2021
not yet tried their MIDI controllers, but I’ll probably try picking up their FCB floor controller or whatever it’s called, to see if running a live rig off laptop is viable for me. I also have the Deepmind 6, and the thing blows my plasticky, weak sounding microKorg out of the water in both sound and build quality—a polyphonic analog synth vs a digital one, for I think it was only like $100 or $150 more.

I’ve got an 8 channel mixer I use daily and a single speaker studio grotbox I use for mono/reference checks—both great quality.

I also have two of their SM57 clone knockoff mics (for $20 apiece, I had to try). they’re the only weak point of the Behringer stuff I have. they work okay, but the build quality is understandably flimsy when compared to an actual 57, and they’re transformerless, so they don’t sound identical either. they sound fine though and are okay for light/basic use. not really worth it if you have other options already though.
If you go for an fcb1010 then be prepared to buy/install a new firmware chip. Stock, it works ok enough, but the lack of momentary switching is generally clunky.
The modded firmware fixes that by introducing a 'stomp box' mode.
I got mine cheap second hand and actually had to solder in new micro switches as they were really worn out. Besides that, build quality is very good.

fullforce

26 Dec 2021

Expecting my TD-3 tomorrow.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

FizbanLaPolio

26 Dec 2021

Pretty good material so far, not disappointed.

Currently owning from Behringer :

Crave
Model D : nice bass sound :)
MS-1
RD-6
TD-3-AM : high pitched and more screetching filter setting
TD-3-SR : low pitched and more rounded filter setting
Xenyx 1204UB mixer
UMC404HD interface
VT400 Vintage Delay pedal
DR600 Digital Reverb pedal
SF300 Super Fuzz pedal

Wanting :
RD9
More pedal, especially compressors for the 2 TD-3 as the sound is muffled when resonance is played
Neutron
RD8 Mk2
Maybe TD-3-MO or TD-3-MO-SR for more custom sounds
UMC1820 + ADA8200 Ultragain, for more inputs, but prices are too much fluctuating at the moment
BCR32 when it will be available :)

huggermugger

26 Dec 2021

I've owned a Behringer mixer, Behringer compressor and a Behringer rack-mount effects unit. All behaved well, provided good clean sound, didn't break down. In fact, I'm still using the mixer (bought it about 15 years ago), and I've never had to have it serviced.

fullforce

27 Dec 2021

huggermugger wrote:
26 Dec 2021
I've owned a Behringer mixer, Behringer compressor and a Behringer rack-mount effects unit. All behaved well, provided good clean sound, didn't break down. In fact, I'm still using the mixer (bought it about 15 years ago), and I've never had to have it serviced.
I bought a Behringer 2642something mixer somewhere around 1997. Worked like a charm. Sold it to a friend. Friend still has it, still works perfectly.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

gullum

27 Dec 2021

I've had a few Behringer devices over the years and all have been fine I would more likely buy and X-Touch + 2 extenders than an SSL UF8 the price of the more expensive gear is not mirrored in futures.
So what if a CEO thinks about making money that why the board put him there.
Give me what I want for a price I want to pay. Expensive gear gets destroyed by spilled coffee too. only you feel more sad

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2021

I use a Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 dynamic mic which was about $45 Aussie so cheaper than Hipster chips. It does a great job and has been with me for well over 10 years. I strongly this mic to everyone I talk to about entry-level mics as they're far more forgiving than a poorly used condenser. probably not my first choice for an Audio Interface seeing I got the evo4 instead (seeing the SSL was unavailable) but some seem really happy with them. I thought the Truth was a rather nice cheap speaker.

As for their cloning, it is what the market wants. Original ideas barely sell but people will fork over, and over, and over, and over... for yet another 1176 clone for their 1176 clone collection so why not do that.

A Behringer DAW, We shall see. There are a few toes (feet, amputated legs) in the free DAWspace. I hope for something wiser than many of those ideas but again, they lean to a certain mentality which is not where I live.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

mimidancer

25 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
11 Dec 2021
Word is that Behringer is working on a new DAW and it will be free. That got me to thinking that I really don't know much about this company, although I've seen the name everywhere. That led me to this video. I found it to be interesting.

What are your experiences, opinions of Behringer?

I love the model D. I also have some eurorack modules from them including the 1006 Filtamp and 182 Sequencer. I also have a TC Jun-6 chorus (made by them) I use with my bass. Great price and lots of fun. I want to buy an Edge and a 2600 VCO but I can't find them anywhere.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2022

TC Electronic stuff is good.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

wereMole88

25 Jan 2022

I'm using:

BCF2000 MIDI fader controller. Although its getting old and im working on replacing it it has served me for years on stage.

UMC204HD as my audio interface. I use a focusrite at home and a soundcraft at rehearsal but the 204 is my OTG interface. Simple but always works.

FS-6 dual footswitch. Great functionality. Dont like the 9V battery although it can be powered by external power.

Ive also had 2 Xenyx mixers - did their job well although one of them the stereo died.

Ive been wanting the x-touch mixers for a while but eventually dropped that idea because of poor reason compatability (no fault of Behringer I believe).

• Information