My E-drum videos

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
visheshl
Posts: 518
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 06 Nov 2021

So I bought my first electronic drum kit a week ago. Always wanted it since I saw it in a shop 20 years ago. Finally decided it was time to buy it and fulfil a childhood dream.
I've been enjoying playing the kit.
I will add my drum covers and other drum videos to this thread as I make them.

Here's one of my first drum practice videos.

The wall


visheshl
Posts: 518
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 06 Nov 2021

Jee karda (bollywood song)


User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 06 Nov 2021

Hi visheshl,

That's bold to put practicing videos. Kudos for you, I wouldn't do it.

Anyway... I'm not a drummer myself, just played a bit to have fun, but considering you're right-handed, and in fact you're using your kit in a Right Handed position, you should use your strong hand to work on the Hi-Hat and the left hand on the snare. The idea is to work in the "cross-handed technique", whereas the fast-paced elements are always played with the dominant limbs (right foot to the kick, right hand to the hi-hat).

Now, you're wondering why you'd do that, being the kick and snare the most important part of the drum? Well the thing is, the hi-hat work, is actually more active than the snare most times, and it needs a lot of dynamic control. Also, the right hand is also the one that "flies"over the rest of the drum kit for toms, crashes and so on, and while digital drum kits tend to be small, remember real kits are wider. Now, think one thing that you notice on rhythms is that the hi almost always plays with the snare and kick (and if you want to keep it a thin fast cut, you have to do it closed). Now change that hi hat to a crash during a verse, and you have to go to the crash with your right hand crossing the left to the snare. See what i mean? the cross handed position, allows you to keep one hand ALWAYS in control of the snare, while the other will be always ready to hit whatever it needs to at the same time you play the kick and the snare.

You've done a great job till now, you have rhythm, and you're catching this stuff nicely, those are the hardest parts!
However... Change to cross handed position as quick as possible because these initial positional problems are really nasty to solve (in any instrument).

User avatar
rgdaniel
Posts: 505
Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Location: Canada

Post 06 Nov 2021

mcatalao wrote: โ†‘
06 Nov 2021
you should use your strong hand to work on the Hi-Hat and the left hand on the snare. The idea is to work in the "cross-handed technique",
Would you tell Jimi Hendrix he was doing it wrong too? :)

I also always played drums in this fashion, probably because it seemed (to my teen-aged mind) to make no sense to cross your arms, and because I figured the snare was a better choice for my better hand. Fortunately, by the time I had my first formal teacher in the mid 1970s, he had the good sense to see that I was managing fine as I was, and did not try to "correct" me like I was some left-handed devil child.

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2612
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 06 Nov 2021

rgdaniel wrote: โ†‘
06 Nov 2021
Would you tell Jimi Hendrix he was doing it wrong too? :)
If meeting a young beginner Hendrix, yes as it is the right place to start.
If meeting Jimi now, no seeing see seems to manage in his own way.

Teaching good core techniques is part of being a good teacher. So is learning when it is good to bend and when it is not good to bend. Letting a learner get away with laziness (and Jimi was far from lazy as a player) to 'make it easy' today is being a poor teacher seeing suddenly there are things that can't be done and the student will have ingrained that way which their ego will probably not let them unlearn so they stay limited and/or give up.

The thing is that Hendrix was a self-learner. If he had watched Eddie V and been intrigued by Eddie's thing, Jimi would have worked it out. Not to be Eddie V, but to take that thing and make it a Hendrix thing. As clearly Eddie did from seeing/hearing Hendrix.

:-)

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3019
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Nov 2021

Agreed that itโ€™s good advice. Proper technique on any instrument has benefits. It enhances your playing. Thereโ€™s a reason most pro level drummers cross sticks.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4017
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 06 Nov 2021

yes, because that's how they were taught. ๐Ÿ˜
I write bad music for good people

latest releaseโ€”The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4017
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 06 Nov 2021

I think making videos of yourself practicing is a great idea. really good way to hold yourself accountable and see exactly how much progress you've made over time. sounds pretty good!
I write bad music for good people

latest releaseโ€”The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

visheshl
Posts: 518
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 06 Nov 2021

I'm left handed, as a kid I started playing right handed kits because wherever I'd go the kit would be setup right handed, now I play open handed rather than cross handed.
But thank you for your suggestions.
Yes it's bold to upload practice videos. But it's only been a week I've got these drums. These are the only videos I have as of now. And I thought why not share them on reason talk.
Screenshot_2021-11-07-08-55-26-586_com.android.chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

visheshl
Posts: 518
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 06 Nov 2021

guitfnky wrote: โ†‘
06 Nov 2021
I think making videos of yourself practicing is a great idea. really good way to hold yourself accountable and see exactly how much progress you've made over time. sounds pretty good!
Exactly why I'm doing this, thank you for your support

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4479
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 07 Nov 2021

Nice drumming. I was mesmerised watching it and was gutted when it ended before the end of the song.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism in my opinion. When I first started learning acoustic guitar (I'm right handed) I couldn't for the life of me feel comfortable resting the guitar on my right thigh, would always put it on the left. Man, it stuck out 3 foot to the left lol! A guitar class I went to in New Zealand got me out of that habit (I think) as the lady showed me where it should go and I felt a bit silly in that class stretching out to the left when nobody else did lol! I can't exactly remember when I actually broke the habit but it must have been shortly after those classes (6 weeks in 1998) I guess.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.42 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

visheshl
Posts: 518
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 07 Nov 2021

Creativemind wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
Nice drumming. I was mesmerised watching it and was gutted when it ended before the end of the song.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism in my opinion. When I first started learning acoustic guitar (I'm right handed) I couldn't for the life of me feel comfortable resting the guitar on my right thigh, would always put it on the left. Man, it stuck out 3 foot to the left lol! A guitar class I went to in New Zealand got me out of that habit (I think) as the lady showed me where it should go and I felt a bit silly in that class stretching out to the left when nobody else did lol! I can't exactly remember when I actually broke the habit but it must have been shortly after those classes (6 weeks in 1998) I guess.
Thanks ๐Ÿ‘
Of course nothing wrong with constructive criticism. But it was purely based on assumption.
He assumed that I was right handed since my kit was setup righthanded.
I am a lefty, when I was in my teens wherever I would go the drum kit was always setup right handed. So obviously my instinct kicked in and my left hand went on the hi hat and right hand on the snare. This is how I learnt playing(open handed as opposed to cross handed)
The problem is that the way I learnt to play in this odd way means that now I can't play right handed(traditional cross handed style) nor can I play a left handed kit, since now my hands move towards the right for the rolls etc.
But there have been many drummers who play open handed due to various reasons.
Here's a nice video I found about open handed drumming...


User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2612
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 07 Nov 2021

If you are getting the results, see my comment about Hendrix not needing to be schooled in how to hold his upside-down stringed thing.

I also think it is a good thing that you are showing your work right from the get-go. It makes it more likely that you stick at it (stick hehe).

A lot of the really intriguing players have odd technique - Keith Richards never seemed to solve the "don't fret with your thumb" thing but he got by. Use your limits or oddities to be something unique - so long as you work past/around any limits you hit from that thing with solutions greater than the limit.

:-)

visheshl
Posts: 518
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 07 Nov 2021

Benedict wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
If you are getting the results, see my comment about Hendrix not needing to be schooled in how to hold his upside-down stringed thing.

I also think it is a good thing that you are showing your work right from the get-go. It makes it more likely that you stick at it (stick hehe).

A lot of the really intriguing players have odd technique - Keith Richards never seemed to solve the "don't fret with your thumb" thing but he got by. Use your limits or oddities to be something unique - so long as you work past/around any limits you hit from that thing with solutions greater than the limit.

:-)
Thanks man ๐Ÿ˜€ I'll try to roll with it, and try to stick to it for as long as I can keep the tempo going :D

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4479
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 07 Nov 2021

visheshl wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
Creativemind wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
Nice drumming. I was mesmerised watching it and was gutted when it ended before the end of the song.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism in my opinion. When I first started learning acoustic guitar (I'm right handed) I couldn't for the life of me feel comfortable resting the guitar on my right thigh, would always put it on the left. Man, it stuck out 3 foot to the left lol! A guitar class I went to in New Zealand got me out of that habit (I think) as the lady showed me where it should go and I felt a bit silly in that class stretching out to the left when nobody else did lol! I can't exactly remember when I actually broke the habit but it must have been shortly after those classes (6 weeks in 1998) I guess.
Thanks ๐Ÿ‘
Of course nothing wrong with constructive criticism. But it was purely based on assumption.
He assumed that I was right handed since my kit was setup righthanded.
I am a lefty, when I was in my teens wherever I would go the drum kit was always setup right handed. So obviously my instinct kicked in and my left hand went on the hi hat and right hand on the snare. This is how I learnt playing(open handed as opposed to cross handed)
The problem is that the way I learnt to play in this odd way means that now I can't play right handed(traditional cross handed style) nor can I play a left handed kit, since now my hands move towards the right for the rolls etc.
But there have been many drummers who play open handed due to various reasons.
Here's a nice video I found about open handed drumming...

Thanks.

Interesting fact - Noel Gallagher of Oasis was apparently left handed (writing) but plays the guitar right handed. His music teacher at school said he had to play guitar left handed but it didn't feel natural so he didn't take up the guitar for say a year or two after that because of that teacher. Thought I'd throw that in there. I'm not sure but does which handed you write with dictate which handed guitar you play? it doesn't sound right to me, I think it was just an assumption by his teacher. This was the 70's.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.42 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

visheshl
Posts: 518
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 07 Nov 2021

Creativemind wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
visheshl wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021

Thanks ๐Ÿ‘
Of course nothing wrong with constructive criticism. But it was purely based on assumption.
He assumed that I was right handed since my kit was setup righthanded.
I am a lefty, when I was in my teens wherever I would go the drum kit was always setup right handed. So obviously my instinct kicked in and my left hand went on the hi hat and right hand on the snare. This is how I learnt playing(open handed as opposed to cross handed)
The problem is that the way I learnt to play in this odd way means that now I can't play right handed(traditional cross handed style) nor can I play a left handed kit, since now my hands move towards the right for the rolls etc.
But there have been many drummers who play open handed due to various reasons.
Here's a nice video I found about open handed drumming...

Thanks.

Interesting fact - Noel Gallagher of Oasis was apparently left handed (writing) but plays the guitar right handed. His music teacher at school said he had to play guitar left handed but it didn't feel natural so he didn't take up the guitar for say a year or two after that because of that teacher. Thought I'd throw that in there. I'm not sure but does which handed you write with dictate which handed guitar you play? it doesn't sound right to me, I think it was just an assumption by his teacher. This was the 70's.
I don't know about guitar...

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9569
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 07 Nov 2021

As a drummer since 7th grade, I spent lots of time learning how to play hats with my left hand. I donโ€™t do it often, but I really like the freedom. You can more easily play programmed type rhythms the keep the hats going even when a cymbal crashes, as one advantage.
Other drummers move the hats to the right so the donโ€™t have to cross over.
On my edrums I put the hats in the center so I can use either hand - or more easily play 16ths on the hat and be able to hit the snare equally with left or right hands for syncopated parts.
So yes, drummers play as they are trained - logically when starting out I would have played hats w/left and snare w/right because of placement/location, keeping hats going when crashing/fills, and being able to swing the snare stick higher without dropping the hats a la Charlie Watts (unless you want to drop the hats - works either way). Same as I would have logically played matched grip if not taught the convoluted left gripโ€ฆ..
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Nov 2021

Guys don't get mad at me, I said right from the start I am not a drummer (if I were maybe I'd noticed the open-handed technique) , plus the OP didn't give the context that he already played drums, and I was astonished by such a quick development - playing (another brick in the wall) after one week practice?.

And yes I assumed the op was right-handed because his kit is completely on the right-handed position.

I commented with the best intention.
Last edited by mcatalao on 07 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

visheshl
Posts: 518
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 07 Nov 2021

mcatalao wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
Guys don't get mad at me, I said right from the start I am not a drummer (if I were maybe I'd noticed the open-handed technique) , plus the OP didn't give the context that he already played drums, and I was astonished by such a quick development - playing the wall after one week practice?.

And yes I assumed the op was right-handed because his kit is completely on the right-handed position.

I commented with the best intention.
Hey, no problem man, it's all good. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Cheers

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1697
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 07 Nov 2021

Fun fact: Most left handed people are (to some higher degree than the average right handed person) in fact ambidextrous.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 1890
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Abajo del mar...

Post 07 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
Fun fact: Most left handed people are (to some higher degree than the average right handed person) in fact ambidextrous.
It's because we have to use right handed implements all the time.
I can use a mac track pad with both hands for most things so when I start getting the cramps from long sessions I just switch. But as most computer mice are on the right I can't really use a mouse with my left. I just started using them with my right becasue that's where they were.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 1890
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Abajo del mar...

Post 07 Nov 2021

I've been told that lefties make better capenters but I've seen no evidence of that. I'm still pretty mediocre.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial

visheshl
Posts: 518
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 07 Nov 2021

plaamook wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
jam-s wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
Fun fact: Most left handed people are (to some higher degree than the average right handed person) in fact ambidextrous.
It's because we have to use right handed implements all the time.
I can use a mac track pad with both hands for most things so when I start getting the cramps from long sessions I just switch. But as most computer mice are on the right I can't really use a mouse with my left. I just started using them with my right becasue that's where they were.
True

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9569
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 09 Nov 2021

visheshl wrote: โ†‘
07 Nov 2021
Thanks ๐Ÿ‘
Of course nothing wrong with constructive criticism. But it was purely based on assumption.
He assumed that I was right handed since my kit was setup righthanded.
I am a lefty, when I was in my teens wherever I would go the drum kit was always setup right handed. So obviously my instinct kicked in and my left hand went on the hi hat and right hand on the snare. This is how I learnt playing(open handed as opposed to cross handed)
The problem is that the way I learnt to play in this odd way means that now I can't play right handed(traditional cross handed style) nor can I play a left handed kit, since now my hands move towards the right for the rolls etc.
But there have been many drummers who play open handed due to various reasons.
Here's a nice video I found about open handed drumming...

Nice video. My first exposure was trying to learn the intro to "50 ways to Leave your Lover", being a Steve Gadd fan. Wasn't till I saw a live video I realized he was playing it open handed, and then it was easy! Been a fan ever since.
Selig Audio, LLC

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 6 guests