The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2021

Some may see this as tossing a rock into a hornet's nest, and maybe I am silly placing this anywhere, but my intent is to raise the already growing conversation about how DAW & VST people, Sellers & Buyers alike, have set up a dangerous game that no one can win with.

The deeper discussion is from 29:19 if you wish to skip forward.

I know this is posted in the Kitchen and some feel that means that they can be total pork chops. Please don't. This is not about any particular Dev (even tho a few are targeted) but the mindset that so many are furthering. Remember that in the kids' tale, most of the adults see that the Emperor is naked, but play the poisoned game for fear of losing status. only the child dares say what is clearly the case. That is part of my point.

If you like the game, fine. But my deeper Q is:
Does anyone really benefit from it?

From what I note, apart from the few who like to play the game on us, most who "go along" do not benefit. Any time I look to see what those who like to act badly to others whilst claiming how Pro they and their DAW/VST are have nothing to show for themselves at all. Which begs the Q: if you, your DAW, and VST were so amazingly Pro, where is the amazingly Pro work? Or commonly even any work at all?

Let's be more honest with ourselves and realize that much of what is happening in the DAWsphere these days is tainted, if not totally poisoned by this mindset, and rise above it. that is the way we have the best opportunity of doing things of value.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

PhillipOrdonez

14 Oct 2021

I thought that audio companies preying on the gullible and lazy with over inflated marketing claims was common knowledge by now?

guitfnky

14 Oct 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
14 Oct 2021
I thought that audio companies preying on the gullible and lazy with over inflated marketing claims was common knowledge by now?
judging by the number of RS stans around here, apparently not. 😅
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2021

It kinda is but at the same time I am amazed at how many people seem to praise the garbage over things of value - worse will go on the attack against anyone who doesn't play their praise game.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

PhillipOrdonez

14 Oct 2021

Like you expressed: people attach their identity and value to things, including music making gear. They bought the koolaid, and will defend their decision as it being the best decision possible. How can they be wrong?, They think. It is quite sad and pathetic but probably rather common too. 🤷‍♂️

PhillipOrdonez

14 Oct 2021

I got to point out it is impressive how you can do those videos in one go with no (or very little that I didn't even notice it?) editing. Kudos! You can talk! A lot of YouTubers would kill for that ability. 😂

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2021

Thanks
a) I can indeed talk, and talk, and talk...
b) I try to stay on subjects I know - or do some research first.
c) I also increasingly use a set of points for these shows (which this was at first) but on my own I still just open and go.
d) I far prefer to do these as if the viewer were with me or at a lecture of The Exalted & Revered Benedict of Roff-Marsh (tongue in cheek) than making it seem like some sort of lights, camera, StarWars LCVIXX episode where the content is tertiary to the lighting and fake studio.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

bxbrkrz

15 Oct 2021

Reason used to feel like Meccano to me. Up until Reason 5. Almost everything was possible for sound design within the ecosystem.

Some people feel lost without an Emperor, naked or not. 80/20. I don't know if it is a syndrome, maybe more like human nature?

While I played with the cubes, I could not stand the waste of space (bag) they took in my little room, compared to Meccano (flat box). Very fragile when I was building my white tower of doom for world domination. Not enough black cubes in my set, mostly white. Not that evil looking :D

Meccano all the way.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

PhillipOrdonez

15 Oct 2021

I was referring more to the fact most of them will do a million takes and then comp them together cause they lack the ability to do what you do in one go.

I reckon the visual aspect is not to be overlooked. It is, at the end of the day, a video format. So efforts in that department aren't a waste, provided the content is worth watching. There's only gains. Think of it as the little details on a mix that help support the story. They don't make the song (or video in this case), but they take the song to a new level.

I don't see RS as a case of the emperor's New clothes, as some seem to suggest here. They may have done some dubious marketing, but nothing I can recall, however I do believe that the products they provide are of excellent quality and this they don't belong in this category. The marketing claims need to be supported by the results and Reason delivers results. Does that mean you think I'm a "Stan"? An emperor? 😂

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2021

I deliberately try to avoid that s-ti.k*y taped together look with all those \edits where it seems that every third word needed to be perfectified. I do more de-mistaking for the paid work. For mine, I try to keep it natural.

Yes, video is visual (he says in a somewhat tautological manner) hence the blue light and carefully placed guitar to signal my studio-ful-ness at the request of my patron. Past that, I hope people focus on the message and not the paint on the wall behind me. I gain more from watching Leland Sclar mumble in his jumble room (it rhymes) than all those people showing off fancy wall-padded rooms where real work has probably never been done. Or Jackson Browne simply singing stunning songs in his workspace complete with a messy desk vs a showboat with a wall of synths yet nothing to show.

Overall I don't see RS as Emperor's New Clothes but I worry that it has seeped in - with all the focus seeming to be on trivial things these days and not the steady feel that used to be Props' style. Time will tell. However, this vid was not aimed at RS, merely the space in general; in hope that "ordinary" musicians start to realize the danger and move away from this mindset and the poor products and services that prey on it. No demand = no sense in supplying it so things like Drum Monkey die on the vine.

The fact that you are having a conversation with me rather suggests that you probably aren't an Emperor. It is like Narcissists, they never ask themselves if they are in fact narcissistic - whilst accusing & abusing everyone around them with their trivial trials.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

guitfnky

15 Oct 2021

I know it's off topic, but I like it when Youtubers don't put so much polish into what they're doing. it's like watching an actual band play live music. it feels more like a conversation to me. many here know I've done my own videos too, and yeah, I get a bit ramble-y, and I'm sure that turns lots off in this day and age where everyone needs their quick fix, but I'd rather be authentic than farm for likes (oh, and don't forget to SMASH that subscribe button).

as for RS, no, they're not in the doghouse just yet, but they're getting awfully close. I would have agreed that they put out excellent quality up until I started using 12. but this major release is a buggy mess that delivers little more than a fresh coat of lipstick on a [your choice of noun that lipstick looks good on] that's well past its prime.

if they actually start improving stuff and not just giving us more shiny crap we don't need (and get 12 in a stable working state, which is hopefully a given), I imagine that would go a long way to restoring some sense of trust, for many of us.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2021

I think that style over substance is a very relevant part of the conversation. matter or fact is it really the essence of it all.

I also think that while not intended to be central to this video, the curve of Reson post "cash injection"/Ernst departure is worthy of consideration. R+ and the introduction of R12 (to today) has been a worrying thing as it certainly comes across as style or wishful thinking being allowed to run ahead of a solid reality. Hence a product that doesn't really work, and worse has created issues that were not there before. This is not to say that updates can't create issues, they can, but that things were rushed and very much end up feeling that they lacked a clear and stable direction, past being uber-cool for a certain mentality (that does tend to appear very Imperious if one takes most of the marketing efforts).

But I don't want this to seem like an attack on any one person/company (except perhaps Unison & to some extent Harrison) but to have each individual ask themselves if they are not falling into the trap that the fable tries to warn us against which is what encourages these poor outcomes in those desperate for quick wins.

Ooh one of the keys on my (not exactly cheap) Corsiar keyboard is breaking off. This is supposed to be Gamer Tough. Hmmm.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information