This is why we can't have nice things

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Creativemind

29 Mar 2021

jam-s wrote:
28 Mar 2021
That "Eat within x days after opening." is mostly ass covering by the manufacturers as they don't know how well you keep your stuff clean after it has been opened. So they give a rather short time frame that has quite a large safety margin before the food actually goes bad. That's also warrented as they don't want to deal with court cases of nasty food poisoning.
Thus if you know some basic hygiene and keep your open food well cooled it will last much longer than stated on the box.

No need for conspiracy here, just some legislative ass covering going on here (aka better safe than "sorry", where sorry=bad press.)
Yeah you're right although it isn't how "clean" you keep it, it's how you store it (5c / 40F or below in a fridge) but it does usually state whether to refrigerate on the packaging. Like the ketchup / brown sauce in your fridge or cupboard debate. It says on the side of ketchup (or certainly does in the U.K) that once opened, refrigerate and use with x amount of weeks so I don't know where the difficulty lies, you put them in your fridge.

The thing is though, some people are very cautious, over-cautious and if it says 2 days, they'll count the hours, after midnight, chuck it lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

challism

29 Mar 2021

I'm glad Propellerhead never went along with this planned obsolesces scheme. Twenty years later and Subtractor is still running strong, other than the occasional missing screw.
guitfnky wrote:
28 Mar 2021
Creativemind wrote:
28 Mar 2021
I was looking how long Spam lasted on the tin the other day. Tin said 2 days (U.K tin) and I ate some on the third day lol! Still here.
last week, I looked at the expiration information on a package of pepperoni—it said to use it within 5 days of opening. I’d bet the vast majority of the pepperoni I’ve ever eaten has been open at least a couple of weeks at a minimum, by the time I’d finished it. couldn’t believe it. 😂
It's a conspiracy perpetrated by the pepperoni industrial complex.

This Veritasium YT channel is great. I love it. There's a similar YT channel called V-Sauce that is equally cool.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

29 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Mar 2021
Creativemind wrote:
28 Mar 2021
I was looking how long Spam lasted on the tin the other day. Tin said 2 days (U.K tin) and I ate some on the third day lol! Still here.
last week, I looked at the expiration information on a package of pepperoni—it said to use it within 5 days of opening. I’d bet the vast majority of the pepperoni I’ve ever eaten has been open at least a couple of weeks at a minimum, by the time I’d finished it. couldn’t believe it. 😂
Expiration information on Water: "Use within 2 years or its bad"
Expiration information on Salt: "Use within 2 years or its bad"

Yep, thanks for the info :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

challism

29 Mar 2021

Loque wrote:
29 Mar 2021
guitfnky wrote:
28 Mar 2021

Expiration information on Water: "Use within 2 years or its bad"
Expiration information on Salt: "Use within 2 years or its bad"

Yep, thanks for the info :thumbs_up:
Expiration date on honey.... never. Crazy how they found honey in the Egyptian pyramids that was still good.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jam-s

29 Mar 2021

Creativemind wrote:
29 Mar 2021
I was told you want a meter for level, then a meter for rms (if the 2 aren't combined), then a compressor, EQ, stereo imager, maximizer and then a final level meter to make sure the final level is 0dB, so there's 7...
... and none of those would usually be used as a send effect. Those are typical channel/(master)bus insert effects.

jam-s

29 Mar 2021

Creativemind wrote:
29 Mar 2021
Yeah you're right although it isn't how "clean" you keep it, it's how you store it (5c / 40F or below in a fridge) but it does usually state whether to refrigerate on the packaging. Like the ketchup / brown sauce in your fridge or cupboard debate. It says on the side of ketchup (or certainly does in the U.K) that once opened, refrigerate and use with x amount of weeks so I don't know where the difficulty lies, you put them in your fridge.

The thing is though, some people are very cautious, over-cautious and if it says 2 days, they'll count the hours, after midnight, chuck it lol!
It's a combination of both: 1st: Don't contaminate the open food with lots of germs and 2nd: Keep it stored cool.
Also evolution made our nose and tongue pretty sensitive to rotten food (as a means of survival) so usually you can easily tell if something is past edible. I can understand people who might have gotten over-cautious after a bad case of food poisoning, but in general if it still looks, smells and tastes good that expiry date on the box does not mean all that much. (That's especially true for most diary based or canned foods as those are handled that cleanly in the automated factories that there usually is not a single unwanted germ left inside the product and thus only the chemical degradation is a limit to shelf life.

Creativemind

30 Mar 2021

jam-s wrote:
29 Mar 2021
Creativemind wrote:
29 Mar 2021
I was told you want a meter for level, then a meter for rms (if the 2 aren't combined), then a compressor, EQ, stereo imager, maximizer and then a final level meter to make sure the final level is 0dB, so there's 7...
... and none of those would usually be used as a send effect. Those are typical channel/(master)bus insert effects.
Yeah thought that after I posted lol!

Creativemind

30 Mar 2021

jam-s wrote:
29 Mar 2021
Creativemind wrote:
29 Mar 2021

It's a combination of both: 1st: Don't contaminate the open food with lots of germs and 2nd: Keep it stored cool.
Also evolution made our nose and tongue pretty sensitive to rotten food (as a means of survival) so usually you can easily tell if something is past edible. I can understand people who might have gotten over-cautious after a bad case of food poisoning, but in general if it still looks, smells and tastes good that expiry date on the box does not mean all that much. (That's especially true for most diary based or canned foods as those are handled that cleanly in the automated factories that there usually is not a single unwanted germ left inside the product and thus only the chemical degradation is a limit to shelf life.
Diary based food is my favourite. 😂😂

Yeah I've been known to cut the mouldy bits off cheese and bread and eat the rest.

• Information