Blue Monday 1982

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
gritz

12 Jan 2021

So in 1982 new order wrote and produced blue Monday it was a technical nightmare recorded at pink floods studio in london just in time for their Australia tour - now quoting the band they said anyone could write and record the same on a laptop nowadays.

Question- because of the supposed ease of recording and technical vsts and daws we have does that degrade what we now produce ..?

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jan 2021

No.

motuscott

12 Jan 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Jan 2021
No.
:thumbs_up:
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

platzangst

13 Jan 2021

Although it is far easier to program a music or rhythm sequence now than it was in 1982, that doesn't mean anyone can just come up with the next Blue Monday. Could anyone else write those lyrics just so? Would they have chosen the same synth patches? Come up with the same melodies?

How many songs by similar bands came out at the same time, using similar equipment, and never made it as big, just because they weren't as interesting?

We who use Reason have a tool that is in its own way far more powerful than anything the Beatles had access to during the band's lifetime. And yet, owning Reason in no way guarantees you will make any song even close to what the Beatles made. Tools do not make the music better, just easier. A boring imitative producer can have all the VSTs and royalty-free soundbanks money can buy and the music he produces will still be boring and imitative - but with a slick, glossy finish.

tl:dr: no.

raymondh

13 Jan 2021

When you listen to many of these great songs of the 80s, you think - gee that's simple, I could reproduce that easily with my DAW!

But when you try to reproduce it, you learn just how complex the original track was, veiled in apparent simplicity!

The tools of the trade definitely make it easier these days, but they don't do the work for you and they don't automatically capture the secret sauce in the amazing music made decades ago.

ps; reproducing your favourite tracks is a great way to learn the craft, and will give you an even greater appreciation of the music you love.

EdwardKiy

14 Jan 2021

gritz wrote:
12 Jan 2021
Question- because of the supposed ease of recording and technical vsts and daws we have does that degrade what we now produce ..?
It certainly puts us to a higher standard. But the technical aspect of it is not detrimental.

Like this fine replica of Led Zeppelin:

exquisite craftsmanship, even better than the original in some aspects, but it's not quite the same. It's already been done, it's no longer unique. It's that touch of you that must be the secret sauce.

fullforce

14 Jan 2021

Making the song might be easy. Coming up with the idea is a lot harder.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Baylo

14 Jan 2021

raymondh wrote:
13 Jan 2021
When you listen to many of these great songs of the 80s, you think - gee that's simple, I could reproduce that easily with my DAW!

But when you try to reproduce it, you learn just how complex the original track was, veiled in apparent simplicity!

The tools of the trade definitely make it easier these days, but they don't do the work for you and they don't automatically capture the secret sauce in the amazing music made decades ago.

ps; reproducing your favourite tracks is a great way to learn the craft, and will give you an even greater appreciation of the music you love.
Too true! I’ve been trying to recreate NO’s True Faith, but can I figure out how to make that snare sound? Even though there are a bunch of articles on the internet on the equipment used by Stephen Hague and the band? No, I cannot. :-(

(Any hints gratefully accepted)

platzangst

15 Jan 2021

Baylo wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Speculation: Gated reverb and perhaps a bit of filter/EQ to enhance a particular frequency range.

gritz

15 Jan 2021

Listening to the new order podcast it’s a world away from what we all have on our laptops nowadays but does that experimenting in a studio which created these songs which have inspired all of us mean we don’t have that depth to be curious as we just download new presets or wavs (and before you say it yes not all of us)

Baylo

15 Jan 2021

platzangst wrote:
15 Jan 2021
Baylo wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Speculation: Gated reverb and perhaps a bit of filter/EQ to enhance a particular frequency range.
You know, I hadn’t actually tried gating the reverb. Seems obvious now you say it. Very 80s! Will give that a shot. Thanks!

Jagwah

18 Jan 2021

When the very first piano was made I'm sure there were people saying things like "That's stupid, you just press the buttons and it plays by itself."

Those mindsets will probably always be around as technology advances and changes things, I already take issue with certain sample packs and what they have progressed to, but each to their own.

motuscott

18 Jan 2021

Run the under snare mic through a Jamaican early 60s street sound system.
Compress to taste
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Reasonable man

18 Jan 2021

Today (3rd monday in January) is commonaly known as blue monday by the way. Don't know how they calulated this but i have to admit they have a point there somewhere.

4filegate

19 Jan 2021

"Blue Monday" New Order was stolen from "Affe sucht Liebe" Fraktus :roll:

• Information