My first tracks EVER from when I was 8. (Warning! They suck!!!)

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3114
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 01 Jan 2021

Just thought this could be fun.
This was where my musical journey started for me. My older brother showed me ProTracker on the Amiga 500. He had bought a couple of floppy discs loaded with a bunch of samples. Of course being the silly 8 year old I was, I gravitated towards all the stupid vocal samples and drum loops rather than more serious instruments/synths etc.
As you can probably tell I didn't know what the hell I was doing. My brother had showed me how to load a sample and how to put notes in the sequencer. That's it. Off I went. And man I had soooo much fun.

I was gonna share my first track, but I remember I actually got some help from my older brother on that one. So instead here is my second and third track I ever made.

These tracks will only be up on SC for a limited time. So enjoy (or something) :lol:




Baylo
Posts: 98
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jan 2021

Pure unadulterated brilliance. I’d maybe express a slight preference for the first one but, man, it’s close.

(I, too, had an A500 and considered those who understood trackers to be geniuses. I stuck with Music-X, myself).

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3114
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 02 Jan 2021

Baylo wrote:
01 Jan 2021
Pure unadulterated brilliance. I’d maybe express a slight preference for the first one but, man, it’s close.

(I, too, had an A500 and considered those who understood trackers to be geniuses. I stuck with Music-X, myself).
Yes. Even though these tracks musically are an absolute mess. There's just something wonderful about the complete lack of self consciousness behind them. Just pure playfulness, experimentation and excitement to create something. I couldn't make a track like this today even if I tried.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1707
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 02 Jan 2021

Wow, those ST-XX samples bring back some memories... Here are the tracker disasters/endeavors from my youth: Modarchive
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

SymphonicDischord
Posts: 60
Joined: 01 Feb 2016
Location: Cold Ass North

Post 02 Jan 2021

You know, the timing on this is almost serendipitous, a couple months ago I showed my 7 year old son the basics of the Reason rack; Players, Instruments, Effects, etc. and have been letting him just absolutely go to town. It’s amazing what he’s been doing and creating. I showed him the back of the rack and running cables and the undo function (in case he loses sound with a wrong routing) and away he goes. He’ll stack players with instruments and tons of effects and then sits there twisting knobs and running cables. He’s come up with some terrific “happy accidents”.

Recently we watched some YouTube videos on Friktion and Pattern Mutator and he pretty much did begged me to purchase them (he even offered to pitch in some of his own money). How do you say no to that! This past week I showed him how to make Combinators and it’s practically blown his mind.

The freedom of child’s mind for expression and creation is something else and is a good reminder to experiment and throw the “rule book” out the window, so to speak.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3114
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 02 Jan 2021

SymphonicDischord wrote:
02 Jan 2021
You know, the timing on this is almost serendipitous, a couple months ago I showed my 7 year old son the basics of the Reason rack; Players, Instruments, Effects, etc. and have been letting him just absolutely go to town. It’s amazing what he’s been doing and creating. I showed him the back of the rack and running cables and the undo function (in case he loses sound with a wrong routing) and away he goes. He’ll stack players with instruments and tons of effects and then sits there twisting knobs and running cables. He’s come up with some terrific “happy accidents”.

Recently we watched some YouTube videos on Friktion and Pattern Mutator and he pretty much did begged me to purchase them (he even offered to pitch in some of his own money). How do you say no to that! This past week I showed him how to make Combinators and it’s practically blown his mind.

The freedom of child’s mind for expression and creation is something else and is a good reminder to experiment and throw the “rule book” out the window, so to speak.
Great to hear. You never know where it will lead. If nothing else, he's having fun with it right now. And that's awesome.
Just remember to save all his stuff. He's gonna have some fun memories hearing his music years later.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 3085
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: marsoo

Post 02 Jan 2021

Dude when was 8 I was outside down by the creek rolling around in mud and playing with sticks.

Really cool stuff to be doing as an 8 year old! edit: your music, I mean.
Last edited by aeox on 02 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Baylo
Posts: 98
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 02 Jan 2021

SymphonicDischord wrote:
02 Jan 2021
You know, the timing on this is almost serendipitous, a couple months ago I showed my 7 year old son the basics of the Reason rack; Players, Instruments, Effects, etc. and have been letting him just absolutely go to town. It’s amazing what he’s been doing and creating. I showed him the back of the rack and running cables and the undo function (in case he loses sound with a wrong routing) and away he goes. He’ll stack players with instruments and tons of effects and then sits there twisting knobs and running cables. He’s come up with some terrific “happy accidents”.

Recently we watched some YouTube videos on Friktion and Pattern Mutator and he pretty much did begged me to purchase them (he even offered to pitch in some of his own money). How do you say no to that! This past week I showed him how to make Combinators and it’s practically blown his mind.

The freedom of child’s mind for expression and creation is something else and is a good reminder to experiment and throw the “rule book” out the window, so to speak.
That’s fantastic.

My son was about that age when I introduced him to Reason. He never really gravitated towards synths, but he stuck with music and gradually over the years learned how to record, edit and mix his guitars and (midi) drums in Reason, and use the other devices to fill in other instrumentation. Now, some years later, he has a YouTube channel (“Jeebs 101” - he would be delighted if you took a look) where he posts cover versions. It’s amazing that software enables our kids to pursue this hobby which, quite frankly, has been a godsend during COVID.

Please keep encouraging your son to keep playing. You and he will enjoy the fruits of the musical journey for years to come.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3114
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 03 Jan 2021

aeox wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Dude when was 8 I was outside down by the creek rolling around in mud and playing with sticks.

Really cool stuff to be doing as an 8 year old! edit: your music, I mean.
Yes hearing these tracks again brings back fond memories.

WarStar
Posts: 217
Joined: 17 Oct 2018

Post 03 Jan 2021

Like someone else just said, at 8yrs old I was throwing rocks at street signs and playing gi joe's lol

Perfect stream of consciousness type stuff.. 2nd one kinda reminds me of some b-rated 80s sci-fi score lol would be interesting to rework it in reason now..

User avatar
Auryn
Posts: 814
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Location: La Mancha

Post 03 Jan 2021

I remember being about 8 when we first got an Amiga in the house. It came with a (pirated, obviously) copy of Sonix music, and it also came with a floppy with all of the samples from "pump up the volume" which my sister and I had a lot of fun with. It took until I was about 15 for me to actually learn a tracker and make some (crappy) happy hardcore and breakbeat tracks. It's amazing that you were actually able to compose something at 8 years. That should qualify you for honorary member of The Prodigy methinks!
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

SymphonicDischord
Posts: 60
Joined: 01 Feb 2016
Location: Cold Ass North

Post 04 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Jan 2021
SymphonicDischord wrote:
02 Jan 2021
You know, the timing on this is almost serendipitous, a couple months ago I showed my 7 year old son the basics of the Reason rack; Players, Instruments, Effects, etc. and have been letting him just absolutely go to town. It’s amazing what he’s been doing and creating. I showed him the back of the rack and running cables and the undo function (in case he loses sound with a wrong routing) and away he goes. He’ll stack players with instruments and tons of effects and then sits there twisting knobs and running cables. He’s come up with some terrific “happy accidents”.

Recently we watched some YouTube videos on Friktion and Pattern Mutator and he pretty much did begged me to purchase them (he even offered to pitch in some of his own money). How do you say no to that! This past week I showed him how to make Combinators and it’s practically blown his mind.

The freedom of child’s mind for expression and creation is something else and is a good reminder to experiment and throw the “rule book” out the window, so to speak.
Great to hear. You never know where it will lead. If nothing else, he's having fun with it right now. And that's awesome.
Just remember to save all his stuff. He's gonna have some fun memories hearing his music years later.
Oh most definitely, after he finished his first session I showed him how to save and created his own folder. He now has around 2 dozen pieces that he’s put together.
Baylo wrote:
02 Jan 2021
[quote=SymphonicDischord post_id=533215 time=<a href="tel:1609623670">1609623670</a> user_id=7436]
You know, the timing on this is almost serendipitous, a couple months ago I showed my 7 year old son the basics of the Reason rack; Players, Instruments, Effects, etc. and have been letting him just absolutely go to town. It’s amazing what he’s been doing and creating. I showed him the back of the rack and running cables and the undo function (in case he loses sound with a wrong routing) and away he goes. He’ll stack players with instruments and tons of effects and then sits there twisting knobs and running cables. He’s come up with some terrific “happy accidents”.

Recently we watched some YouTube videos on Friktion and Pattern Mutator and he pretty much did begged me to purchase them (he even offered to pitch in some of his own money). How do you say no to that! This past week I showed him how to make Combinators and it’s practically blown his mind.

The freedom of child’s mind for expression and creation is something else and is a good reminder to experiment and throw the “rule book” out the window, so to speak.
That’s fantastic.

My son was about that age when I introduced him to Reason. He never really gravitated towards synths, but he stuck with music and gradually over the years learned how to record, edit and mix his guitars and (midi) drums in Reason, and use the other devices to fill in other instrumentation. Now, some years later, he has a YouTube channel (“Jeebs 101” - he would be delighted if you took a look) where he posts cover versions. It’s amazing that software enables our kids to pursue this hobby which, quite frankly, has been a godsend during COVID.

Please keep encouraging your son to keep playing. You and he will enjoy the fruits of the musical journey for years to come.
[/quote]

I’m primarily a guitar player myself so of course I had to buy him his first guitar when he was 2. He’ll pick it up and plunk away on it from time to time but he hasn’t really taken to it. I’m definitely taking a “hands off” approach to it and not forcing it on him and every once in a while he’ll let me teach him something. Maybe one day he’ll come around but for now the enjoyment he’s getting out of Reason is great. I’m just really happy that he’s developing an appreciation for music and the creation process.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4486
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 22 Sep 2021

jam-s wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Wow, those ST-XX samples bring back some memories... Here are the tracker disasters/endeavors from my youth: Modarchive
So they're Fasttracker files according to the tinterweb, can you still download it?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.42 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

dakta
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Aug 2021

Post 22 Sep 2021

Interestingly enough i've kept more or less all my project files from since i started playing with reason (circa 2002). I have gigabytes of the stuff and hundreds of files spanning many folders.

Most of it is different shades of awful, but there's a lot of fun to be had sometimes in sifting through it all. I love the phrase 'happy accidents' because I've had some of them too along the journey

I've realised I've probably written everything I'll likely ever write, because most music I write now evolves out of messing about with one of those earlier scratchpad projects until its something else. Need to be in the right mood though.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1707
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 22 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
22 Sep 2021
jam-s wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Wow, those ST-XX samples bring back some memories... Here are the tracker disasters/endeavors from my youth: Modarchive
So they're Fasttracker files according to the tinterweb, can you still download it?
On windows xmplay is a good player for various mod files. To edit those files OpenMPT is a good choice (and Renoise is king obviously :P )

P.s. The Amiga Soundtracker Sample Packs (ST-XX) can all be found here: https://archive.org/details/AmigaSTXX_o ... onversions
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests