windows vs hackintosh?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
guitfnky

28 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
28 Dec 2020
see the thing is i dont have patience for work arounds...i want something that works out of the box but i dont have the money because that something that works out of the box is four times the price of something that needs workarounds all the time.
i would've bought the m1 mac mini, the only problem is you're stuck with the config you buy, you just cannot upgrade it, if you buy the 8gb 250gb mac mini...thats it you're stuck with it...you cannot upgrade it...and the config i need which is 16gb and at least 512 gb ssd...is wayyyyy too pricey....hence i was wondering if i could build a hackintosh instead
downloading and installing a third party driver is NOT a workaround. you do it one time, set it up, and that’s it.

it really seems like you just want a Mac—which would be fine, except you can’t afford it right now. instead of complaining about the fact that you can’t afford it, you’re blaming Windows for not working 100% exactly as you want it to without firing up the ol’ browser and installing something.

save your money up and buy a Mac.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

visheshl

28 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
28 Dec 2020
visheshl wrote:
28 Dec 2020
see the thing is i dont have patience for work arounds...i want something that works out of the box but i dont have the money because that something that works out of the box is four times the price of something that needs workarounds all the time.
i would've bought the m1 mac mini, the only problem is you're stuck with the config you buy, you just cannot upgrade it, if you buy the 8gb 250gb mac mini...thats it you're stuck with it...you cannot upgrade it...and the config i need which is 16gb and at least 512 gb ssd...is wayyyyy too pricey....hence i was wondering if i could build a hackintosh instead
You’ve already ordered a PC. Windows is designed for PC. Seems like you want to do a Hackintosh and despite the fact that everything tells you Windows is the way to go you’re arguing with yourself. Maybe I’m wrong. Am I?
i ordered it but im indecisive, i cancelled the order...i just need assurance that windows will not give me all the troubles it used to in the 2000-xp days.... I've spent a decade grappling with windows, the driver issues, the irq conflicts etc...then i had the patience to deal with the problems now i dont, the other poster is probably correct, i do want a mac, and either i can save up for it or i should take some money out of my savings to buy the mac i want....i think i need time to think...thanks for your time guys, and thanks fir sharing your perspective on the problem... I'll think about it...make a decision and let you all know what i finally went for... a stable hassle free expensive unupgradable mac mini m1 or a much cheaper but troublesome windows pc... I need to rethink... because you are right...hackintosh is a temporary solution in the long run its either windows or buying a mac...

joeyluck

28 Dec 2020

guitfnky wrote:
28 Dec 2020
joeyluck wrote:
28 Dec 2020

Exactly. If I'm not recording, I don't need an interface for inputs.

Why not bring a computer tower around with a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse? Lol
You do understand the concept of a laptop, right? :P

Yes it is very versatile, and when I need to, I connect an audio interface. But it defeats the whole point of the portability when you have to connect a bunch of things...

The headphone output sounds great. And I'm not sending the headphone output to a recording device... I'm writing and monitoring using the headphone output.
so...you’re not recording with it...so what’s the problem? regardless, if downloading a third party driver is too much of a bother, how do you have patience to do music in the first place? it’s like saying you wouldn’t buy a PC because it doesn’t come with a DAW, and buying a Mac instead because it includes Garageband.

the way I look at it, serious work requires the right tools. it’s why I won’t touch a laptop for audio work in the first place. the only use I can see (personally) for a laptop in audio would be for playing live music, and for that, you need an interface anyway.
Hey I'm not talking about drivers. Although yes it is very nice being a Mac user and not needing drivers for anything.

My responses here originated from your comment:
guitfnky wrote:
27 Dec 2020
do you use the stock soundcard on your computers? do people who do audio production actually do that?
You and I weren't talking about drivers. I thought we were just talking about built-in sound cards. I thought your response actually was trying to deter from the necessity of using drivers on Windows, by asking why people would use a built-in sound card anyways.

Mac core audio works great for me and I get work done using it. Yes, I then fully mix stuff with monitors and in theatres running through interfaces, not just because of quality, but because I need 10+ outputs.

fuego

08 Oct 2022

I'm doing some research now as I consider switching from mac to windows for just my reason pc. I've been on mac for 20+ years. Power per $ on a windows machine is just unmatched. I can not spend any more on a mac.

rsnsnds

12 Oct 2022

Windows

Not having to worry about M1, new operating system updates that break compatibility with plugins and DAWs, and other nonsense that just stands in the way of creating music

jonnyretina

12 Oct 2022

If you know what you're doing (or can find a prebuilt and customised one on eBay) then Hackintosh every time. In my humble opinion, OS X/macOS is simply a better engineered operating system and it can easily run more efficiently than Windows on the same machine if you've got the right hardware and are competent at setting the system up properly.

The main problem, however, is that it is unknown for just how much longer Apple will continue to offer Intel builds of their OS. Having said that, I would personally still choose a totally outdated version of OS X over the latest version of Windows - even if it limited the software I could use.

If you aren't particularly technical or have no patience or enough software engineering knowledge to work out solutions to problems when things don't work, then stick with Windows.

It used to be that installing Linux took a degree of technical knowledge but distributions like Ubuntu and the immense hardware support of the Linux kernel these days have taken most of those issues away. A Hackintosh is probably now more difficult in that regard. If the very idea of all that complexity seems too daunting then it's probably best to give it a miss.

Pepin

12 Oct 2022

In terms of software stability, one of the benefits of using a mac is that there's a smaller number of potential hardware configurations. So it's more likely that software was tested on your configuration. And if there is a configuration-dependent issue, there are probably enough other users with your configuration to motivate the developer to fix it.

Hackintosh is basically the opposite of that. Most software will be untested on your configuration, and you might be the only user experiencing a given bug.

Not to mention, you'll be locked out of OS updates once Intel support is dropped.

Personally, I prefer macOS. But I would still choose Windows over a hackintosh.

jonnyretina

13 Oct 2022

Pepin wrote:
12 Oct 2022
Personally, I prefer macOS. But I would still choose Windows over a hackintosh.
Like I said, it requires being skilful to get it to work. It's definitely possible and can be very, very stable (perhaps more so than Windows on the same box!). Apple's Intel machines just use standard stuff underneath the hood. If you can match the hardware profile well enough you don't even need to use any community built kexts.

In terms of keeping too much of an eye on the future, I'm of the opinion that if you keep chasing technology, you'll never catch up. Whilst it's important when a machine is always online to keep it as up-to-date as possible, a music computer can be offline and have much older software on it but still be fit for purpose as a well configured studio machine. There's enough quality software from the last 10-15 years to make good music with and never need anything else. Some would also argue that having a dedicated studio machine disconnected from the internet is a much better way to get music made without endless distractions anyway!

Regardless, undertaking a Hackintosh really isn't for everyone. If you just want to make music and don't need the hassle, buy yourself a real Mac or, if you can't afford for that, you can settle for Windows.

• Information