Well, Looks Like I Have Covid.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
plaamook

18 Dec 2020

I’m no physician but shouldn’t most people living in warm sunny climates get enough VD without needing supplements?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Zac

18 Dec 2020

plaamook wrote:
18 Dec 2020
I’m no physician but shouldn’t most people living in warm sunny climates get enough VD without needing supplements?
:lol: lolz

platzangst

18 Dec 2020

I'll just jump back in here to point out that one can't rely on any statistic or trend in the case of this virus. In my own case, I've contracted it despite doing as much of the preventative measures as I could - apart from quitting my job and staying home, there's not much else i could have done.

Having caught it, I seem to have been fortunate enough to have had a mild case, with a flu-like fever being my only real symptom. This is despite my Vit.D intake being apparently well below the levels discussed. Plus, I am over 50. Plus, although I don't think I qualify as "obese", I am carrying more weight than I probably should. Plus, I drink Mountain Dew a lot, which is ripe with that high fructose stuff. Plus, while I did get outside in the summer, I wouldn't think it was so much as to be significant. Despite all that, I am - so far - not having any more serious problems, and I'll hope that continues until I've fully beaten the thing.

It would probably be impossible to trace back any causal effect as to why my case is so mild compared to many others. Biology is one of the most complex things to study, and as much as the human race knows, there's plenty it still doesn't understand. So why is my case mild? We may never know, but if you go by all the supposed indicators, I ought to be a lot sicker than I am...

miscend

18 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
15 Dec 2020
Vit D in milk? Not enough, may provide 50-100IU/d. Majority of people are insufficient and need 5000IU/d for 6-8 weeks to reach a blood value of 50ng/ml.

D3 taken orally is converted in the liver and that process adds up to two weeks for the conversion. In an acute situation a Dr can give you an IV of the active vit D form. Probably what they gave to Trump, but they never disclosed the details only that he was given vit D.

Funny though, Dr Fauci said he is taking vit D as well, but no formal info from the Gov't, they keep the lid on this info.
I take a vit D brand thats 100μg, taken once daily, is that inadequate?

EnochLight

18 Dec 2020

You should probably ask an actual medical doctor.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

18 Dec 2020

The United States and Mexico are doing badly because their governments didn't encourage simple measures like mask wearing.

There's plenty of covid in Equatorial regions (lots of vitamin D from the sun, the best and most effective way of consuming vitamin D) like in my country despite the lack of seasons and lots of sun and high UV levels in regions like where I'm from (2600 meters above sea level in my case)

Everyone is supposed to wear masks but many don't or they wear it under the nose or even under the fucking chin. So that's why there is so much here.

Not because of lack of vitamin D.

It's all about the masks and social distancing.

Definitely taking vitamin D is a good thing, it does help you strengthen the immune system, but there aren't magical cures that you can just get from the pharmacy like vitamins or herbs or whatever like many charlatans claim everywhere.

miscend

18 Dec 2020

Doctors will only recommend what is on national RDA guidelines. But the RDA is now probably not out of date with all the new research in to vitamin D since Covid 19.

EdwardKiy

19 Dec 2020

DaveyG wrote:
15 Dec 2020
I had it in September. Pretty bad but not enough to put me in hospital. Three months on and I'm not entirely recovered. Nagging cough and totally exhausted for large parts of the day. Not good.
You are very fortunate, Davey. You've barely made it.

In months to come, the lining of your lungs on the interface between the terminal alveoli and the blood capillaries will slowly clear from the iron molecules that left your heme and formed an impenetrable membrane (by way of being attacked by your own immune system), which is the reason you are exhausted and can't breathe well. This is the mechanism by which Covid is actually lethal - the autoimmune component. You are very fortunate to be alive. You'll get better in time. Moderate exercising will speed things up.

The only drug treatment that is better than the placebo hasn't changed in the last half-year - it's the Dexamethasone (or any other steroid anti-inflammatory drug in equivalent dose to counter the autoimmune response) + Remdesivir combo. Evidence level is 4 at best (uncontrolled cohort studies), but that's what the billionaires and politicians are treated with and that's the best there is for now.

EnochLight

19 Dec 2020

miscend wrote:
18 Dec 2020
Doctors will only recommend what is on national RDA guidelines. But the RDA is now probably not out of date with all the new research in to vitamin D since Covid 19.
Perhaps, but a licensed medical doctor will give you far more trustworthy medical advice than you will find on an Internet forum for musicians. :lol: Otherwise, I would seek out the latest research in peer-reviewed scientific publications that prove vitamin D has any affect on a virus of any sort.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Karim
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2020

You will not die, cheers... :puf_bigsmile:
platzangst wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Got up this morning and felt like I had a fever. I was up on my flu shots, and so didn't think it was the flu. Went to a place that does rapid testing (15 minutes) and sure enough, it's Covid.

Fortunately - so far - it seems to be mild, my only symptoms are currently a fever and sometimes a runny nose.

The only upside is that I have to take the rest of the year off of work, so maybe I can get something done.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

jam-s

20 Dec 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
15 Dec 2020
DaveyG wrote:
15 Dec 2020
I had it in September. Pretty bad but not enough to put me in hospital. Three months on and I'm not entirely recovered. Nagging cough and totally exhausted for large parts of the day. Not good.
This is what scares me, Davey, I'm sorry it is like this with you, and I hope you fully recover soon.

See, if you are young like me, your probably not going to die or even get admitted into the hospital. But you may end up with long covid. There's people who haven't recovered since march, with constant fatigue, like those with a condition called "ME". What if it never goes away? That's a risk I'm not willing to take.😱
Yeah, better to stay clear of COVID-19 as there's also the possibility that it might (permanently) impair male fertility in some cases:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20201 ... ility.aspx

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showFu ... %2930348-5 (Sperm count down by 75% after Covid)

So it does not only nuke your lungs, but also your balls.

miscend

21 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
19 Dec 2020
miscend wrote:
18 Dec 2020
Perhaps, but a licensed medical doctor will give you far more trustworthy medical advice than you will find on an Internet forum for musicians. :lol: Otherwise, I would seek out the latest research in peer-reviewed scientific publications that prove vitamin D has any affect on a virus of any sort.
Yeah that's what I do when I have time. But generally I follow a few reputable scientists and I have a few podcasts that I trust. But I just wanted to probe Boombastix's thinking and see why he/she thinks 5000I0U is optimal. This is a free discussion forum after all. And you can't make too many assumptions about people, some of us could be researchers or scientists that do music as a hobby.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2020

I will get back and try to comment on all the questions. Just need to set time aside for that.

I've spent 15+yrs researching this (nutrition, endocrinology, sports nutrition/medicine, biochemistry) as self studies, my formal degree is Master of Science. That title doesn't mean much when it comes to nutrition and biochemistry, just as an MDs title, it is not part of my formal education and it is normally not part of an MDs formal education, but it teaches you how to acquire knowledge after 5+yrs at university studies. It was also helpful to know how to acquire knowledge when I did research before I filed my 2 patents. Knowledge how to research, critically analyze published studies, cross correlate with other studies to build a broader picture, weed out bad info (lot's of garbage studies out there), and so on.

I have three family members who are MDs one even a PhD of Medicine and another Prof of Medicine, so I know they do not study much nutrition in med school (I have to educate them actually), thus why most MDs are pretty clueless of nutrition and are brought in to a culture where nutrition is even ridiculed. Some MDs break away from this and self study nutrition, but that is a minority. Most who refer to MDs do it because they do not know this and only look for an authority and perhaps dismiss their own and others intelligence. But, there are plenty of trolls on the internet and poorly educated persons too who spread misinformation, so always try to validate info by a Googling and see for yourself what studies actually says. I have found plenty of people even providing links to studies that do not even support what they say, or the product they try to sell, and there are studies where the conclusion in the studie is not even supported by the data set provided in the study. So, yeah, to CRITICALLY analyze this is work, so even after 1000+ hours of doing this I am humble to the difficulty and complexity.

Bringing your nutritional questions to an MD is like taking your laptop to an auto shop, some may be able to help you, but generally speaking you are approaching the wrong guy.

As far as my coming vit D comments - I suggest you spend 1h to watch this video to be able absorb the information better. Studies are mentioned in the video, I normally do not provide links because there is often a need to look at multiple studies to get the full picture and the recipient will probably not look at them and perhaps not understand the studies, it would take me way too much time to sit and do this. This is the best video on this topic I have seen, and for those of you who can only listen to "authority", well, it is presented by a medical professor, and it covers most info related to vit D and Covid. My only incentive to do this was to protect my own family and share this knowledge so other severely vit D deficient persons do what they need to do and reduce their statistical risk of dying. It is costing me time and money, and I make zero from it...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

EnochLight

21 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
21 Dec 2020
As far as my coming vit D comments - I suggest you spend 1h to watch this video to be able absorb the information better. Studies are mentioned in the video, I normally do not provide links because there is often a need to look at multiple studies to get the full picture and the recipient will probably not look at them and perhaps not understand the studies, it would take me way too much time to sit and do this. This is the best video on this topic I have seen, and for those of you who can only listen to "authority"...
I appreciate you taking the time to post about your "credentials". That said, I will still caution those reading this thread to seek advice from trained medical professionals and peer-reviewed scientific journals instead of random people on an Internet music forum.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2020
I appreciate you taking the time to post about your "credentials". That said, I will still caution those reading this thread to seek advice from trained medical professionals and peer-reviewed scientific journals instead of random people on an Internet music forum.
You know, most don't know where to start, or even that studying vitamin D and Covid is a smart thing to do. How much vit D research have you done prior to this discussion? Did you watch the video before you started to discourage people to discuss vitamin D? (the guy in the video is not a random internet guy if you think so, he is a medical professor)

What is the consequence of taking vitamin D, not much at all, most just correct a deficiency, and the levels we discuss are well understood in the literature (just a Googling away). But what if someone gets discourgage from your "advice" to not listen, stays severely vitamin D deficient and contracts Covid and...?
You are after all also a random guy on the internet, and your discouragement cannot be backed up by any scientific peer reviewed study, have you thought about that? So that leads me to ask what scientific basis do you have to discourage this discussion and what is your motive?

I stated mine, perhaps time to state yours...

stratatonic

22 Dec 2020

platzangst wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Got up this morning and felt like I had a fever. I was up on my flu shots, and so didn't think it was the flu. Went to a place that does rapid testing (15 minutes) and sure enough, it's Covid.

Fortunately - so far - it seems to be mild, my only symptoms are currently a fever and sometimes a runny nose.

The only upside is that I have to take the rest of the year off of work, so maybe I can get something done.
Hope you continue to recover! Your last post was last Friday, so let us know how you are doing.

platzangst

22 Dec 2020

stratatonic wrote:
22 Dec 2020

Hope you continue to recover! Your last post was last Friday, so let us know how you are doing.
I am optimistic that I'm finally turning a corner on this thing. Up until today, I'd been pretty consistently running a fever, though the actual temperature would rollercoaster all over the place, from as low as 99(F) to 102. Today is the first day where my temperature has been normal (98.7), although it has popped back up to 99. The fact that it's been in the normal range at all makes me hope that even if it isn't completely over yet, I'm beginning the last stretches.

EnochLight

23 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
22 Dec 2020
EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2020
You know, most don't know where to start, or even that studying vitamin D and Covid is a smart thing to do. How much vit D research have you done prior to this discussion? Did you watch the video before you started to discourage people to discuss vitamin D? (the guy in the video is not a random internet guy if you think so, he is a medical professor)

What is the consequence of taking vitamin D, not much at all, most just correct a deficiency, and the levels we discuss are well understood in the literature (just a Googling away). But what if someone gets discourgage from your "advice" to not listen, stays severely vitamin D deficient and contracts Covid and...?
You are after all also a random guy on the internet, and your discouragement cannot be backed up by any scientific peer reviewed study, have you thought about that? So that leads me to ask what scientific basis do you have to discourage this discussion and what is your motive?

I stated mine, perhaps time to state yours...
Sure, like yourself - I'm just a random guy on the Internet recommending people do things. The difference is, I'm recommending people exercise critical thinking and seek professional advice through proper channels. You are recommending people consider your findings, yet your only credentials are what you claim (via anonymity on the Internet) and a YouTube video. I mean, to be fair - people can post "proof" of anything via YouTube (i.e., the world is flat, the Earth is only 6000 years old and created by a magic sky daddy, vaccines don't work and are a government conspiracy, etc). No, I didn't watch your YouTube video link. I generally don't rely on YouTube videos to sway my opinion in friendly debates.

At the end of the day, we're just two dudes with our own opinions. If you can state there's no harm in taking vitamin D to help combat COVID-19, I can also state that people should seek medical advice from trained professionals and not on a music forum. Would you agree that both are valid recommendations? Which one would you feel a person should trust more? Which one has the potential to do more harm?

stratatonic

24 Dec 2020

platzangst wrote:
22 Dec 2020
stratatonic wrote:
22 Dec 2020

I am optimistic that I'm finally turning a corner on this thing. Up until today, I'd been pretty consistently running a fever, though the actual temperature would rollercoaster all over the place, from as low as 99(F) to 102. Today is the first day where my temperature has been normal (98.7), although it has popped back up to 99. The fact that it's been in the normal range at all makes me hope that even if it isn't completely over yet, I'm beginning the last stretches.
Good to see you posting :)
Hope you make a full recovery.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
23 Dec 2020
Sure, like yourself - I'm just a random guy on the Internet recommending people do things. The difference is, I'm recommending people exercise critical thinking and seek professional advice through proper channels. You are recommending people consider your findings, yet your only credentials are what you claim (via anonymity on the Internet) and a YouTube video. I mean, to be fair - people can post "proof" of anything via YouTube (i.e., the world is flat, the Earth is only 6000 years old and created by a magic sky daddy, vaccines don't work and are a government conspiracy, etc). No, I didn't watch your YouTube video link. I generally don't rely on YouTube videos to sway my opinion in friendly debates.

At the end of the day, we're just two dudes with our own opinions. If you can state there's no harm in taking vitamin D to help combat COVID-19, I can also state that people should seek medical advice from trained professionals and not on a music forum. Would you agree that both are valid recommendations? Which one would you feel a person should trust more? Which one has the potential to do more harm?
You say: "seek advice from trained medical professionals and peer-reviewed scientific journals" - the video I posted is a presentation by a "medical professional" and he is going over "peer-reviewed scientific journals" - yet you started by saying it is bad information ("I'm calling BS on this") and you have not even watched it or (I'm guessing) having prior knowledge about the subject.

You say: "seek medical advice from trained professionals" and previously "contacting your actual health-care providers". I assume you mean a doctor, MD/GP. The problem with this statement is that you assume they get extensive nutritional training (e.g. vitamin D), but they do not, and there is a culture to downplay the importance of nutrition in their profession. Thus your statement is a fallacy, because you think you know, but you don't, or put in other words "you are actually wrong about that", but you try to state it with great authority with a belief that you are correct, and still didn't bother to try to absorb the information you are commenting about "No, I didn't watch your YouTube video link".

An alternative approach can be to "ask a question", you'll find more information, and then form an opinion. I think that is a better approach and one that I have adopted. Further discussion can then be less polarized and more focused on factual science rather than just opinion. I understand it is hard to say "now I have more facts and I change my opinion". I think this is a western cultural issue where changing opinion is seen as defeat and consequently one has to avoid becoming a "looser" at all costs. Most who operate in the science world though are fairly adaptive and as science develops opinions and best practice follows along. Good scientist start with a hypothesis and set up an experiment trying to prove themselves wrong, so very different culture.

You say: "At the end of the day, we're just two dudes with our own opinions." Correct, but as I have stated, my opinion was based on extensive research, and you say you did not even watch the video. I see a difference there.

YouTube by the way is just a medium for distribution, I think you will be better off by evaluating the competence and knowledge of the person presenting rather than dismissing everything that is utilizing a certain media technology. As an example, yesterday I watched a CDC scientist on YouTube, and I did not dismiss him or the CDC as a hoax because it was on YouTube, but I do evaluate the information for accuracy, omissions, relevance, and so on.

You say: "If you can state there's no harm in taking vitamin D to help combat COVID-19, I can also state that people should seek medical advice from trained professionals and not on a music forum. Would you agree that both are valid recommendations?" I do agree and I think it is good advice to seek input from multiple sources, but somewhere a trigger is needed, (i.e. what information do I need to ask and know more about?), since few people will just set off researching a scientific area by random without prior knowledge.

The information I provide is a source to initiate your own research and you can seek opinions from other as you wish, never said "do not talk to your doctor", so we agree here, do your own research, seek advice from others. Again we agree about that. But who will go on and discuss vitamin D with their doctor if they know nothing about it? Nobody, because if you do not know what to ask, you will not ask. As simple as that. Who had their blood drawn for a vitamin D check by their MD, without first requesting it? You see, there is a lot MDs should/could do, but they do not. Thus you need to take ownership of your own health, it is nothing I advice you blindly just outsource to anyone. And again, I suggest cross checking info you find of interest, medical, political, technical, religious, or historical. Things are usually skewed, and you will soon realize that if studying opposite sides of an issue.

By this, I think we have exhausted this discussion about our view points by now.

stratatonic

25 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
23 Dec 2020
I can also state that people should seek medical advice from trained professionals and not on a music forum.
Yup, and I like to get my musical advice from trained professionals and not on a medical forum. :)

That said, from FoxNews today:
https://www.foxnews.com/health/vitamin- ... cts-report

So far, here's what medical experts say: People with low vitamin D who get COVID have a greater tendency toward dying, have a greater tendency toward hyper-inflammation in the cytokine storm that comes with COVID, and have a greater tendency toward getting on ventilators, which is very bad because ventilators don't work very well for COVID, Osborne said.

Additional studies also revealed nine out of 10 COVID-19 deaths could have been prevented if people had adequate Vitamin D levels, the FOX 26 report said.

I dunno, maybe because it's Fox News I shouldn't believe it? :question:

EnochLight

26 Dec 2020

stratatonic wrote:
25 Dec 2020
EnochLight wrote:
23 Dec 2020
I can also state that people should seek medical advice from trained professionals and not on a music forum.
Yup, and I like to get my musical advice from trained professionals and not on a medical forum. :)
Indeed, that would be wise! :)
stratatonic wrote:
25 Dec 2020
That said, from FoxNews today:
https://www.foxnews.com/health/vitamin- ... cts-report

So far, here's what medical experts say: People with low vitamin D who get COVID have a greater tendency toward dying, have a greater tendency toward hyper-inflammation in the cytokine storm that comes with COVID, and have a greater tendency toward getting on ventilators, which is very bad because ventilators don't work very well for COVID, Osborne said.

Additional studies also revealed nine out of 10 COVID-19 deaths could have been prevented if people had adequate Vitamin D levels, the FOX 26 report said.

Taking into consideration Fox “News” served as 45’s propaganda network for most of his 1-term presidency, and spent an inordinate amount of time actually downplaying the pandemic in its early stages, I’d certainly take anything they say with a grain of salt. ;)

To be clear, I have no opinion on the effects of Vitamin D on the COVID-19 virus. What I do have a strong opinion on is advising people to seek medical advice from trained medical professionals and peer-reviewed scientific publications, not some anonymous random dude on a music forum. I think anyone with any sense would agree that’s sound advice?

Loque

26 Dec 2020

Reading some "advices" to "avoid" COVID explains why the USA has around 300000 death(!) ppl and why the Pandemie is still not under control.

This crap with "vitamin D" is shocking that some ppl even consider it as a solution and the ppl in Africa really would scratch their heads and would wonder about the "western" ppl, since their heavy problems with COVID would just not exist since they really have enough sun and therefore vitamin D.

Some seem to got their brains ahead washed too much.

cfb79f8ad15d021f45043632deb165ac.gif
cfb79f8ad15d021f45043632deb165ac.gif (264.35 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2020

stratatonic wrote:
25 Dec 2020

Here is the original TV interview with Dr Osborne with a link to the study he refers to.
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/studi ... f-covid-19

Loque

26 Dec 2020

:twisted: Dude, you just mixing a healthy immun system with a general cure against covid and you sh!t on everybody that has it not, cannot obtain it because he is poor, old or ctitical unhealthy and you try to tell them just vitamin D can help them all. You just live in your own little world box, you lost contact to reality and what you are telling here is stupid, careless and critical dangerous to ppl listen to such crap you are telling.

Sadly you are part of those growing amount of ppl that BELIEVE in suspicious theories leaving out ALL facts and mixing some true things with their conspiracy.

Really, stop it.

3vgr3o.jpg
3vgr3o.jpg (58.6 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
Reason12, Win10

• Information