Well, Looks Like I Have Covid.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
platzangst

14 Dec 2020

Got up this morning and felt like I had a fever. I was up on my flu shots, and so didn't think it was the flu. Went to a place that does rapid testing (15 minutes) and sure enough, it's Covid.

Fortunately - so far - it seems to be mild, my only symptoms are currently a fever and sometimes a runny nose.

The only upside is that I have to take the rest of the year off of work, so maybe I can get something done.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

15 Dec 2020

platzangst wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Got up this morning and felt like I had a fever. I was up on my flu shots, and so didn't think it was the flu. Went to a place that does rapid testing (15 minutes) and sure enough, it's Covid.

Fortunately - so far - it seems to be mild, my only symptoms are currently a fever and sometimes a runny nose.

The only upside is that I have to take the rest of the year off of work, so maybe I can get something done.
I hope it clears up soon with no lasting effects.

Take care,
B

Heater

15 Dec 2020

How do you think you got it?

visheshl

15 Dec 2020

hey i havd a few friends who had it but recovered very soon, they're now negative. you'll also recover.

platzangst

15 Dec 2020

Heater wrote:
15 Dec 2020
Probably at work, if I had to guess. My job never fell under the mandates for closing or working from home (kind of hard to do in manufacturing), and while I was doing my best to observe the proper distancing, and wearing a mask and all, and the plant itself had several preventative policies in place, that's still the most exposure I would have had to other people.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2020

I've spent a LOT of time following the Covid debacle and research papers, and most who get seriously sick are also vitamin D deficient. If your vit D is above 50 ng/ml you have optimum protection from vit D. EU often measure is nmol/L, so need to convert in that case. Age and the other known factors still apply. I took 5000IU for about a month get in that range, then around half for maintenance. A couple of hours googling "covid vitamin D" will get you plenty of research papers. The Gov't of Scotland is one of the few gov't that tells the public to supplement.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

PhillipOrdonez

15 Dec 2020

For those reading: Always get vitamin d, but don't just take your guard down. Keep protecting yourselves and others by wearing a mask whenever you're with others and wash your hands often.

platzangst

15 Dec 2020

Well, after a night's sleep I feel much better, though I'm still going to take it easy. As for vitamin D, I have regularly been drinking a couple pints of milk each day, and at least here in the States, a lot of milk brands are fortified with Vit. D (and A, IIRC). I don't have any idea if that has helped make my case as mild as it's been so far, so take that for what it's worth.

Dabbler

15 Dec 2020

I tested positive on Oct 10 after suffering for two week with symptoms I thought were a common flu.
Extreme sensitivity to touch to the point that shower water hurt.
A pressure behind my eyes that caused pain if I looked in any direction but straight ahead.
Some kind of cramp-like pain in my groin that really hurt when I hit a bump while driving.
Slowly got so fatigued I could barely climb 26 stairs to the office.
Never had a fever or a cough but did have a mild headache.
Finally at the Doctor's office I found out I had pneumonia and Covid19.
17 days of quarantine later I tested negative.
Quarantine was rough.

Get better soon.

DaveyG

15 Dec 2020

I had it in September. Pretty bad but not enough to put me in hospital. Three months on and I'm not entirely recovered. Nagging cough and totally exhausted for large parts of the day. Not good.

PhillipOrdonez

15 Dec 2020

DaveyG wrote:
15 Dec 2020
I had it in September. Pretty bad but not enough to put me in hospital. Three months on and I'm not entirely recovered. Nagging cough and totally exhausted for large parts of the day. Not good.
This is what scares me, Davey, I'm sorry it is like this with you, and I hope you fully recover soon.

See, if you are young like me, your probably not going to die or even get admitted into the hospital. But you may end up with long covid. There's people who haven't recovered since march, with constant fatigue, like those with a condition called "ME". What if it never goes away? That's a risk I'm not willing to take.😱

Heater

15 Dec 2020

platzangst wrote:
15 Dec 2020
Heater wrote:
15 Dec 2020
Probably at work, if I had to guess. My job never fell under the mandates for closing or working from home (kind of hard to do in manufacturing), and while I was doing my best to observe the proper distancing, and wearing a mask and all, and the plant itself had several preventative policies in place, that's still the most exposure I would have had to other people.
I hope you feel better soon.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2020

Vit D in milk? Not enough, may provide 50-100IU/d. Majority of people are insufficient and need 5000IU/d for 6-8 weeks to reach a blood value of 50ng/ml.

D3 taken orally is converted in the liver and that process adds up to two weeks for the conversion. In an acute situation a Dr can give you an IV of the active vit D form. Probably what they gave to Trump, but they never disclosed the details only that he was given vit D.

Funny though, Dr Fauci said he is taking vit D as well, but no formal info from the Gov't, they keep the lid on this info.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
15 Dec 2020
Vit D in milk? Not enough, may provide 50-100IU/d. Majority of people are insufficient and need 5000IU/d for 6-8 weeks to reach a blood value of 50ng/ml.

D3 taken orally is converted in the liver and that process adds up to two weeks for the conversion. In an acute situation a Dr can give you an IV of the active vit D form. Probably what they gave to Trump, but they never disclosed the details only that he was given vit D.

Funny though, Dr Fauci said he is taking vit D as well, but no formal info from the Gov't, they keep the lid on this info.
Being sick/staying sick is a very profitable business :)

platzangst

15 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
15 Dec 2020
I couldn't say what my vitamin D levels are, of course, not having sophisticated bloodwork tools at hand. But I have been drinking 2 pints of milk across my breaks at work for years, varying from 5-7 days a week, lately 6. So whatever benefit I might be getting from it, I've been doing it long enough that the conversions would be well underway. The dietary info on the cartons says that a pint has 25% of the US recommended daily intake, so that's 50% not including whatever else in my diet might provide some.

If the vitamin D in my system is insufficient, then that would have to mean that my immune system has been otherwise robust enough to stave off the worst effects of Covid - so far, of course.

dhruan

16 Dec 2020

platzangst wrote:
14 Dec 2020

Ouch! Hoping for a speedy recovery!
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Boombastix
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2020

platzangst wrote:
15 Dec 2020
Boombastix wrote:
15 Dec 2020
I couldn't say what my vitamin D levels are, of course, not having sophisticated bloodwork tools at hand. But I have been drinking 2 pints of milk across my breaks at work for years, varying from 5-7 days a week, lately 6. So whatever benefit I might be getting from it, I've been doing it long enough that the conversions would be well underway. The dietary info on the cartons says that a pint has 25% of the US recommended daily intake, so that's 50% not including whatever else in my diet might provide some.

If the vitamin D in my system is insufficient, then that would have to mean that my immune system has been otherwise robust enough to stave off the worst effects of Covid - so far, of course.
50% of RDI is about 200IU, so quite a bit below 5000IU/day. Maybe you spent time in the sun this summer so you started winter at a good level. Age affect immune system, so if under 50yrs you are much better off. Avoidance of high fructose corn syrup and being obese helps as well it seems as both of these depletes/reduces available vitamin D. Note many Americans and Mexicans are obese and high consumers of HFCS and both countries are doing very badly in the Covid stats. See my other post in "The Kitchen" that has a link to a video, it is very well done, and covers pretty much everything about Vit D and Covid. There is some research showing outcome can improve by eating D3 after infection, but it takes up to 2 weeks for blood levels to increase, though the outstanding effect of vit D is as a preventative. Vit D blocks the virus from replicating, but vit D also works to downregulate/modulate the cytokine and bradykinin storms. It is the consequence of these "storms" that kills you or makes you very sick and potentially a "long-hauler" with a risk for permanent lung/kidney/etc damage.

DaveyG

17 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Vit D blocks the virus from replicating
I think you should think carefully before posting this sort of statement on this or any other forum. If it was that simple then the scientific and medical community would be making a whole lot more noise about it.

You are adding to the shitstorm of fake news.

EnochLight

17 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Vit D blocks the virus from replicating
DaveyG wrote:
17 Dec 2020
I think you should think carefully before posting this sort of statement on this or any other forum. If it was that simple then the scientific and medical community would be making a whole lot more noise about it.

You are adding to the shitstorm of fake news.
Honestly, I have to agree. Until I see peer-reviewed scientific proof that "vitamin D blocks the virus from replicating", I'm calling BS on this. To be clear, I'm not saying various world governments (at the national, state, and local level) don't hide things from their citizens and lie - that's politics 101. But there is too much peer-reviewed research in the medical science community that can easily debunk this.

So to our various readers: please do your own research by contacting your actual health-care providers and do NOT, I repeated, DO NOT get your medical advice from a music forum's kitchen talk!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

plaamook

18 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
16 Dec 2020
Note many Americans and Mexicans are obese and high consumers of HFCS and both countries are doing very badly in the Covid stats.
I hate bringing hearsay into these sorts of discussions but I know almost no one with covid in the Eu (where I live 20yrs), personally. Or not many confirmed anyway. Mostly just things that may as well be colds.
But in the USA, where I'm from and where my fam live (the ones I was born to, not the one I made...) they all seem to know loads of people very sick and some, very dead. And honestly, I have to stop myself form being so insensitive as to ask whether this or that person is hugely over weight because fatness is so normalised over there many people don't even see it.
Sadly, much of Britain is catching up.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

18 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Until I see peer-reviewed scientific proof that "vitamin D blocks the virus from replicating", I'm calling BS on this.
So much for all the Vit D they've been putting in American milk all these years, eh?

Or here.

EnochLight

18 Dec 2020

plaamook wrote:
18 Dec 2020
EnochLight wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Until I see peer-reviewed scientific proof that "vitamin D blocks the virus from replicating", I'm calling BS on this.
So much for all the Vit D they've been putting in American milk all these years, eh?
Not sure if you’re being serious or not.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

plaamook

18 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
18 Dec 2020
plaamook wrote:
18 Dec 2020

Not sure if you’re being serious or not.
No, just kidding really.

Or here.

EnochLight

18 Dec 2020

plaamook wrote:
18 Dec 2020

No, just kidding really.
My vitamin D-fortified bones are tickled pink. ;)

• Information