You Learn Something New.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
platzangst

07 Dec 2020

Things connect.

In the 80s I became a fan of the band Wire. Wire was a groundbreaking punk rock act in the 70s that quickly mutated into arty pop/rock. They had a hiatus after 3 albums and then reinvented themselves as a more synth and tech-driven art-pop group in the mid-80s, which is when I discovered them (The Ideal Copy remains one of my most favorite albums).

Because of my interest in Wire, I began following the individual band members' various side-projects. Notably, the bassist Lewis (or EG Lewis, or Edvard Graham Lewis) had many such projects, and released a couple albums under the moniker He Said (John Fryer and some other guests appear, but Lewis seems to be the primary driving force there).

Some time later, in the 90s, Lewis had a few more projects, collaborations with Swedish musicians (though Wire is from the UK, he lives in Sweden). One of these was He Said Omala, which matched Lewis up with experimental electronic duo Omala. They released one proper album and a remix disc, and then one of the fellows from Omala parted ways, I guess - no more albums from He Said Omala ever appeared. However, a couple albums from another side project of Lewis' - Hox - featured Lewis and the remaining Omala member. Catch Supposes by He Said Omala is also one of my most favorite albums, and the two Hox albums are also quite good.

I had always meant to look up Omala's works, but for the longest while I either had no good source for international disc sales (they're Swedish, I'm in the US), or not enough spare money, or some other thing interfered. But I was reminded of Omala the some time ago and decided to try to find their stuff again.

Well, Discogs has grown a lot, and more people use it, and its data base is increasingly cross-referenced. So when I began looking Omala up again, I also found links to the individual members, and found that the fellow who is in both Omala and Hox had a solo album come out recently - well, 2015, recently is relative - and in looking up that album, I found the fellow's Bandcamp and Soundcloud pages. On Soundcloud, I was pleasantly surprised to see that he'd favorited some demo tracks for the recent Friktion Rack Extension - he knows about Reason! Perhaps he uses Reason!

And so I thought I would search his name here in ReasonTalk - if he knows Reason, he might have visited the forum. Well, his name did come up, but not as a user, instead as a subject of discussion. Why? Because the man's name is Andreas Karperyd, and according to said discussion, he did design work for Reason Studios, née Propellerhead. So he's quite definitely linked to Reason, my favorite computer-based musical tool, as well as some of my favorite music. And maybe people into the deep lore of Reason Studios knew all this all along, but I've just found this out now. You learn things all the time.

His solo album's pretty good, too.

plaamook

08 Dec 2020

I'm kinda jelouse. The only link I've ever found between the music I like and Reason is me and my own music!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

DougalDarkly

08 Dec 2020

plaamook wrote:
08 Dec 2020
I'm kinda jelouse. The only link I've ever found between the music I like and Reason is me and my own music!
Aphex Twin, Luke Vibert, A Guy Called Gerald, The Beastie Boys, Lag (a newer reference!) - there are quite a few artists who's work I like that have coincidentally used Reason.

Conversely, there are lots of artists I like that use other DAWs too!

Edit to add: Of course, some of the music I like was made without using a DAW at all - some of it even has (gasps) guitarists!

plaamook

08 Dec 2020

DougalDarkly wrote:
08 Dec 2020
plaamook wrote:
08 Dec 2020
Aphex Twin, Luke Vibert, A Guy Called Gerald, The Beastie Boys, Lag (a newer reference!) - there are quite a few artists who's work I like that have coincidentally used Reason.

Conversely, there are lots of artists I like that use other DAWs too!

Edit to add: Of course, some of the music I like was made without using a DAW at all - some of it even has (gasps) guitarists!
My understanding is that AFX wasn't interested and gave Luke Vibert his copy. The only Luke Vibert stuff I like wasn't done on Reason. Again, that's my understanding.
But if it were different I'd put ol' AFX on the list for sure.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

DougalDarkly

08 Dec 2020

Apologies - I'm just in an argumentative mood this morning!

To be clear, I don't need there to be a link between the tools I use and those of artists that I like - TBH there's not even a particularly strong link between most of the music I like to listen to and the music that I make at all.

I was just picking up on the point that seems to pop up on here from time-to-time: "Nobody uses Reason except old-aged hobbyists!"

motuscott

08 Dec 2020

I remember Wire
and the Beasties!
I'm old and I use Reason
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

hfw

08 Dec 2020

platzangst wrote:
07 Dec 2020
Things connect.

In the 80s I became a fan of the band Wire. Wire was a groundbreaking punk rock act in the 70s that quickly mutated into arty pop/rock. They had a hiatus after 3 albums and then reinvented themselves as a more synth and tech-driven art-pop group in the mid-80s, which is when I discovered them (The Ideal Copy remains one of my most favorite albums).

Because of my interest in Wire, I began following the individual band members' various side-projects. Notably, the bassist Lewis (or EG Lewis, or Edvard Graham Lewis) had many such projects, and released a couple albums under the moniker He Said (John Fryer and some other guests appear, but Lewis seems to be the primary driving force there).

Some time later, in the 90s, Lewis had a few more projects, collaborations with Swedish musicians (though Wire is from the UK, he lives in Sweden). One of these was He Said Omala, which matched Lewis up with experimental electronic duo Omala. They released one proper album and a remix disc, and then one of the fellows from Omala parted ways, I guess - no more albums from He Said Omala ever appeared. However, a couple albums from another side project of Lewis' - Hox - featured Lewis and the remaining Omala member. Catch Supposes by He Said Omala is also one of my most favorite albums, and the two Hox albums are also quite good.

I had always meant to look up Omala's works, but for the longest while I either had no good source for international disc sales (they're Swedish, I'm in the US), or not enough spare money, or some other thing interfered. But I was reminded of Omala the some time ago and decided to try to find their stuff again.

Well, Discogs has grown a lot, and more people use it, and its data base is increasingly cross-referenced. So when I began looking Omala up again, I also found links to the individual members, and found that the fellow who is in both Omala and Hox had a solo album come out recently - well, 2015, recently is relative - and in looking up that album, I found the fellow's Bandcamp and Soundcloud pages. On Soundcloud, I was pleasantly surprised to see that he'd favorited some demo tracks for the recent Friktion Rack Extension - he knows about Reason! Perhaps he uses Reason!

And so I thought I would search his name here in ReasonTalk - if he knows Reason, he might have visited the forum. Well, his name did come up, but not as a user, instead as a subject of discussion. Why? Because the man's name is Andreas Karperyd, and according to said discussion, he did design work for Reason Studios, née Propellerhead. So he's quite definitely linked to Reason, my favorite computer-based musical tool, as well as some of my favorite music. And maybe people into the deep lore of Reason Studios knew all this all along, but I've just found this out now. You learn things all the time.

I’ll give him a listen. I enjoyed the read, I’d be the same if someone whose art I enjoyed a lot used the same tools as me. i love researching and knowing about artists and bands.

hfw

08 Dec 2020

platzangst wrote:
07 Dec 2020
Things connect.

I’ll give him a listen. I enjoyed the read, I’d be the same if someone whose art I enjoyed a lot used the same tools as me. i love researching and knowing about artists and bands.

OliverBlack77

29 Mar 2021

I've been learning to create music. I do play the keyboard and piano very well,do listen to and play some good classical songs….i’ve been composing a classical song with 1st progression I-I-IV-I….my movements have been good as told to me by choirmasters…but i’m stuck right now because i want to create a real masterpiece.

ksniod

29 Mar 2021

I've been a big fan of Wire too ;) (I still have the original Pink Flag LP hung on a wall here).
Do you know the music (ambient/experimental) made by Klara Lewis (daughter of Graham Lewis)?
https://klaralewis.com

OliverBlack77

12 Apr 2021

I've been learning to create music. I do play the keyboard and piano very well,do listen to and play some good classical songs….i’ve been composing a classical song with 1st progression I-I-IV-I….my movements have been good as told to me by choirmasters…but i’m stuck right now because i want to create a real masterpiece. I always start with https://www.fortenotation.com/en/blank- ... table-pdf/

platzangst

15 Apr 2021

ksniod wrote:
29 Mar 2021
I've been a big fan of Wire too ;) (I still have the original Pink Flag LP hung on a wall here).
Do you know the music (ambient/experimental) made by Klara Lewis (daughter of Graham Lewis)?
https://klaralewis.com
I do! I have Ett and Two, and like them both, particularly Ett.

• Information