whats a good lifestyle diet change ?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

one thats worked for u ive lost a bit of weight on keto but its not maintainable forever i need a little change in the run up to christmas , and then for and after
what worked for u guys !?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2020

No crisps. No sweets. No alcohol. Walk as much as you can instead of taking the car. Small portions of food. Don’t eat until you’re full. Eat when you’re hungry and not when you’re bored. Make sure you don’t stay hungry too long or your body will go into survival mode and store fat. Run for half an hour a day if you can. Etc.
I do a lot of Nei Kung and tai chi. Usually get up around 0445 and train before I go to work.
Bottom line is burn more calories than you take in and you’ll lose weight. Don’t go down more than 1-2kg a week though or you can damage your kidneys.
Good luck.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
05 Dec 2020
No crisps. No sweets. No alcohol. Walk as much as you can instead of taking the car. Small portions of food. Don’t eat until you’re full. Eat when you’re hungry and not when you’re bored. Make sure you don’t stay hungry too long or your body will go into survival mode and store fat. Run for half an hour a day if you can. Etc.
I do a lot of Nei Kung and tai chi. Usually get up around 0445 and train before I go to work.
Bottom line is burn more calories than you take in and you’ll lose weight. Don’t go down more than 1-2kg a week though or you can damage your kidneys.
Good luck.
thanks figg i didnt have any alcohol for a few weeks but christmas is coming and i fear that one will snap around 23rd dec buts its all good , keto is not a long term thing for me

iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

04:45 and train before you work how old are you figgs?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
05 Dec 2020
04:45 and train before you work how old are you figgs?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

jeez your a machine

experienced hair loss yet ive gone well grey and temples are thinning a bit i think i need to do what you do , look like the rock if i go bald hahha

dvdrtldg

05 Dec 2020

If you only do one thing, get rid of all refined sugar from your diet. No treats, no exceptions. You'll get used to it, eventually you won't miss it

If your only do one other thing, give up alcohol

If you're up for a third thing, have an honest conversation with yourself about your caffeine intake and whether it's working for or against you. Like sugar, it's another thing you think you can't live without, but really you can and it's fine. Chances are it's making you feel shitty

Exercise of course is a no brainer. But consider a regular meditation practice as well. Even ten minutes a day makes a huge difference if you keep at it

iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Dec 2020
If you only do one thing, get rid of all refined sugar from your diet. No treats, no exceptions. You'll get used to it, eventually you won't miss it

If your only do one other thing, give up alcohol

If you're up for a third thing, have an honest conversation with yourself about your caffeine intake and whether it's working for or against you. Like sugar, it's another thing you think you can't live without, but really you can and it's fine. Chances are it's making you feel shitty

Exercise of course is a no brainer. But consider a regular meditation practice as well. Even ten minutes a day makes a huge difference if you keep at it
thanks pal good advice

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2020

Eat stuff that fills you up and is digested slowly, like oven baked root/veggies, avocado, nuts, banana. Avoid simple carbs (minimize) like fluids w sugar and baked goods using flour. Avoid deep fried stuff.
Try to exercise early in the day as it will give you a higher metabolic rate during the day. 30-60min is great and no need to go hard, brisk walk or a light jog is plenty for this purpose. Find a way, one idea is to park the car so you have a longer walk to the office, or go out during the lunch break. Stuff like that usually works best as they are almost like part of what you have to do anyway. Or ride a bike to work if that fits in.

Drink lemon water or plain instead of beer, soda, milk, juices, etc. Sugar tooth disappears after 2-3 weeks, just stick it out for that time and your brain have time to readjust, then if you drink a soda, you'll probably go "wtf, was it that much sugar"...

#1 advice though - STAY CONSISTENT. There are hormones and bio feedback loops that try to maintain equilibrium, but consistency won't give you a yo-yo effect like a hard diet does.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
05 Dec 2020
Eat stuff that fills you up and is digested slowly, like oven baked root/veggies, avocado, nuts, banana. Avoid simple carbs (minimize) like fluids w sugar and baked goods using flour. Avoid deep fried stuff.
Try to exercise early in the day as it will give you a higher metabolic rate during the day. 30-60min is great and no need to go hard, brisk walk or a light jog is plenty for this purpose. Find a way, one idea is to park the car so you have a longer walk to the office, or go out during the lunch break. Stuff like that usually works best as they are almost like part of what you have to do anyway. Or ride a bike to work if that fits in.

Drink lemon water or plain instead of beer, soda, milk, juices, etc. Sugar tooth disappears after 2-3 weeks, just stick it out for that time and your brain have time to readjust, then if you drink a soda, you'll probably go "wtf, was it that much sugar"...

#1 advice though - STAY CONSISTENT. There are hormones and bio feedback loops that try to maintain equilibrium, but consistency won't give you a yo-yo effect like a hard diet does.
loving all this advice

bitley

05 Dec 2020

Eat more refills! :D

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2020

TLDR - Be active for nearly half of your day if you can. I don't eat until 4 hours after waking up, breaking my "fast" with healthy fats and protein items. I eat a nutrient rich sandwich loaded with vegetables for lunch, and protein rich dinner with a lot of nutrients/vegetables. Hot sauce will make any bland thing taste good if you're in a pinch and like heat.

I lost 40 pounds in a few months back in 2018 and have maintained my ideal weight just by changing my job and diet a bit. 40 may not seem like a lot but I started at 180 and dropped down to 140, so for me it was a substantial amount. I've never felt better mentally or physically before in my life. If i start dropping into the 130's my face starts to get boney and I don't look healthy.

My job keeps me active speed walking 9-12 hours a day, and I developed an eating routine that works for me.

I quit coffee a while back but started again drinking a cup in the morning. Aside from that I don't eat anything in the morning until 2 hours into work (my first break) My way of thinking is that we are a hunter-gatherer species and thousands of years ago we didn't just wake up and have a meal at our finger tips. We had to work for it. So I work a few hours and burn some calories before eating anything. Then when I do eat it's usually fairly protein rich and fulfilling, but nothing SUPER high in calories/sugar or anything. The typical breaking of my fast is a yogurt drink and a tiny little wheel of cheese, sometimes some green olives or nuts. That's a easy 17g protein that I enjoy and it gives me energy.
A lot of people in my country don't get nearly enough protein in their diet so I try to always break my fast with a decent amount.

Then 2 hours later after my first break I have "lunch" I'll have a sandwich with a bunch of vegetables like spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers , onions, etc. I try to flavor with olive oil and vinegar to keep it somewhat healthy. Then I won't eat anything until I get home (4-6 hours later) It's usually the most unhealthy meal of the day, because I'd probably wither away if it wasn't.
I felt the best when I was making homemade burgers after work, probably from the protein now that I think about it. But I didn't think that was very healthy, even though I was rapidly losing weight. So now I like making soups and dunking sourdough bread into them.
What I like about soup is that I can pack them with tons of nutrients and also change things up however I want if I'm getting bored of certain flavors. My go to protein-rich soup is chicken chili with beans.

Another thing that I'm fanatic about is hot sauce. It's usually very salty/acidic but used in small amounts is okay. Very low on the calories, if you're counting! The hotter, the better. I just like the pain I guess. When my forehead starts sweating I feel like I'm burning calories just sitting there. :oops:

I work at a grocery store so I've become very aware of what people are buying and their... size. It amazes me to see what are in other peoples shopping carts. Loaded with frozen pizzas and everything super unhealthy you could ever imagine. But that's not good enough, they dunk everything they eat in insanely high calorie sauces like ranch and you name it. I love pizza don't get me wrong, but it's for a special occasion. Always bothered me when people dipped pizza in ranch though.. is the pizza not good enough for you?!
Eating all for pleasure with no real substance/nutrients, it leaves you unfulfilled, unhealthy, and unhappy (from my experience)
On the other hand, healthy looking people will typically have a lot of fresh produce and items to prepare their own meals.

Since I'm only 27 and fairly active, I really don't have to watch what I eat but I do because I want to keep my insides healthy. In my opinion, prevention is the cure for most issues people face as they get older. Why treat the symptoms when you can prevent them in the first place?

Protein and iron are the two things that I find hardest to get in my diet. I could just eat a protein bar or something but I try to eat fresh foods rather than processed for shelf life.

My brother has been doing keto for years now and I haven't noticed much difference in his weight. The problem I see with it is that some people just eat TOO MUCH FOOD. Whether you're on keto or not, if you eat too much food you're going to be overweight. Doesn't help that some of the most nutrient dense vegetables are typically avoided on keto. And it seems like all of the meals prepared at his house are extremely loaded with butter and or heavy cream, etc. Then instead of consuming sugar, he drinks stuff with artifical sweeteners which in my opinion is even worse for you in the long term. Better to just eat less sugar, get it from natural sources but limit yourself. You need sugar to survive.

I'm just rambling at this point but I hope something I said could provoke some thoughts.

MannequinRaces

05 Dec 2020

Tons of great advice in this thread! Without rehashing what’s already been said I’d like to add or elaborate on the fasting aspect. Ideally you should be eating all your food in an eight hour period. Personally this is too strict for me and I do 12 hours. The point is your body shouldn’t be working on turning food into energy / waste at all hours of the day. Also not related to diet but might help out overall is sleep... some people need a lot (over eight) and some can operate optimally with less. My sweet spot is 6.5-7 hours. If I get more then seven I feel like shit (brain fog) for half the day.

guitfnky

06 Dec 2020

if the goal is health rather than weight loss, try going gluten free. lots of people can have mild to moderate gluten intolerance and not even know it. I never experienced the stomach pains that usually accompany it, so it took a long time for me to figure it out.

it can help your energy level, mood, skin, digestive health (nutrient/vitamin absorption, and the like), and reduce inflammation generally—and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting right now. for me, the biggest impact has been on energy and mood. small things, like dropping some food on the carpet, would set me off—like I would get SUPER pissed off about it, screaming at the top of my lungs, even as I was aware of how over the top I was being in the moment. cutting gluten out, I feel normal again, and laugh the same kinds of things off. one other huge quality of life improvement for me has been far fewer canker sores. used to get them VERY often—for a while, it wasn’t uncommon to get two or more a month (and they could take weeks to go away). it was painful.

I wouldn’t recommend sticking to it if you don’t see any improvement (it can be more expensive, and is definitely less delicious), but if you have any chronic issues, it might be worth trying for a few weeks to see how you feel after you’ve given enough time for everything to work itself out of your system and do some healing.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

aeox wrote:
05 Dec 2020
TLDR - Be active for nearly half of your day if you can. I don't eat until 4 hours after waking up, breaking my "fast" with healthy fats and protein items. I eat a nutrient rich sandwich loaded with vegetables for lunch, and protein rich dinner with a lot of nutrients/vegetables. Hot sauce will make any bland thing taste good if you're in a pinch and like heat.

I lost 40 pounds in a few months back in 2018 and have maintained my ideal weight just by changing my job and diet a bit. 40 may not seem like a lot but I started at 180 and dropped down to 140, so for me it was a substantial amount. I've never felt better mentally or physically before in my life. If i start dropping into the 130's my face starts to get boney and I don't look healthy.

My job keeps me active speed walking 9-12 hours a day, and I developed an eating routine that works for me.

I quit coffee a while back but started again drinking a cup in the morning. Aside from that I don't eat anything in the morning until 2 hours into work (my first break) My way of thinking is that we are a hunter-gatherer species and thousands of years ago we didn't just wake up and have a meal at our finger tips. We had to work for it. So I work a few hours and burn some calories before eating anything. Then when I do eat it's usually fairly protein rich and fulfilling, but nothing SUPER high in calories/sugar or anything. The typical breaking of my fast is a yogurt drink and a tiny little wheel of cheese, sometimes some green olives or nuts. That's a easy 17g protein that I enjoy and it gives me energy.
A lot of people in my country don't get nearly enough protein in their diet so I try to always break my fast with a decent amount.

Then 2 hours later after my first break I have "lunch" I'll have a sandwich with a bunch of vegetables like spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers , onions, etc. I try to flavor with olive oil and vinegar to keep it somewhat healthy. Then I won't eat anything until I get home (4-6 hours later) It's usually the most unhealthy meal of the day, because I'd probably wither away if it wasn't.
I felt the best when I was making homemade burgers after work, probably from the protein now that I think about it. But I didn't think that was very healthy, even though I was rapidly losing weight. So now I like making soups and dunking sourdough bread into them.
What I like about soup is that I can pack them with tons of nutrients and also change things up however I want if I'm getting bored of certain flavors. My go to protein-rich soup is chicken chili with beans.

Another thing that I'm fanatic about is hot sauce. It's usually very salty/acidic but used in small amounts is okay. Very low on the calories, if you're counting! The hotter, the better. I just like the pain I guess. When my forehead starts sweating I feel like I'm burning calories just sitting there. :oops:

I work at a grocery store so I've become very aware of what people are buying and their... size. It amazes me to see what are in other peoples shopping carts. Loaded with frozen pizzas and everything super unhealthy you could ever imagine. But that's not good enough, they dunk everything they eat in insanely high calorie sauces like ranch and you name it. I love pizza don't get me wrong, but it's for a special occasion. Always bothered me when people dipped pizza in ranch though.. is the pizza not good enough for you?!
Eating all for pleasure with no real substance/nutrients, it leaves you unfulfilled, unhealthy, and unhappy (from my experience)
On the other hand, healthy looking people will typically have a lot of fresh produce and items to prepare their own meals.

Since I'm only 27 and fairly active, I really don't have to watch what I eat but I do because I want to keep my insides healthy. In my opinion, prevention is the cure for most issues people face as they get older. Why treat the symptoms when you can prevent them in the first place?

Protein and iron are the two things that I find hardest to get in my diet. I could just eat a protein bar or something but I try to eat fresh foods rather than processed for shelf life.

My brother has been doing keto for years now and I haven't noticed much difference in his weight. The problem I see with it is that some people just eat TOO MUCH FOOD. Whether you're on keto or not, if you eat too much food you're going to be overweight. Doesn't help that some of the most nutrient dense vegetables are typically avoided on keto. And it seems like all of the meals prepared at his house are extremely loaded with butter and or heavy cream, etc. Then instead of consuming sugar, he drinks stuff with artifical sweeteners which in my opinion is even worse for you in the long term. Better to just eat less sugar, get it from natural sources but limit yourself. You need sugar to survive.

I'm just rambling at this point but I hope something I said could provoke some thoughts.
wow one 140 is small how tall are you im 196 now and wanna lose 10-12 pounds more and im done but i look better not sninny you guys seem like machines

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

i was 234 though beginning of this year so in much closer keto now but keto is not for life it gets boring and when i do wat something nice its epic i go up and down with these silly diets hence why i need a good plan gonna start from tomorrrow as todays my birthday so ill have a day off eat some
cake lol

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
06 Dec 2020
aeox wrote:
05 Dec 2020

wow one 140 is small how tall are you im 196 now and wanna lose 10-12 pounds more and im done but i look better not sninny you guys seem like machines
I'm only 5 foot 6 (168cm), so it's a normal weight for me. I'm not skinny but not overweight. Average I'd say.

10-12 pounds is very obtainable in even a month if you really worked at it. If anything I would try the morning fasting routine out. Guess it depends on what you do for work. How active is it? What do your daily meals consist of?

I just don't eat that much food or very frequently. It keeps my stomach from stretching out and I get full with minimal effort.
When I mentioned my routine to my father a few months back, he was telling me that people who don't eat a lot or how he worded it was "starve themselves" everyday were known to have longer lives. I wouldn't call it starving myself but I definitely feel starving before I eat!

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

aeox wrote:
06 Dec 2020
iamthor4 wrote:
06 Dec 2020

I'm only 5 foot 6 (168cm), so it's a normal weight for me. I'm not skinny but not overweight. Average I'd say.

10-12 pounds is very obtainable in even a month if you really worked at it. If anything I would try the morning fasting routine out. Guess it depends on what you do for work. How active is it? What do your daily meals consist of?

I just don't eat that much food or very frequently. It keeps my stomach from stretching out and I get full with minimal effort.
When I mentioned my routine to my father a few months back, he was telling me that people who don't eat a lot or how he worded it was "starve themselves" everyday were known to have longer lives. I wouldn't call it starving myself but I definitely feel starving before I eat!
im 5 foot 10 and 14.8 ( stones and i was 16.8 stones

i wanna get around 13.10 or 13.8 and stay there im 41 today and if i lose too much weight im
gonna look haggard lol .

you probably look
good at your size but im a naturally medium
looking person with naturally porky chops ( when i lose to much weight the cheeks suck in and look bad )

i can eat really bad i have been 18 stone at my heavyiest and i could eat like 2 pizzas 6 bags of chrisps ( potato chips ) 5 chocolate bars whole
bottle of cola , plus dinner and breakfast and much more in a day it takes a lot of eating to get fat and when your there its hard to get back down , i was always a medium kid never fat but this part of my life ive been up and down with these diets because

i restrict myself so much when i eat again im
like wow chocolate and i gorge then before i know the looks i have worked had to get are gone again ill show u a pic of my biggest and what i am now if i can i really apreciate all this advice thank u
Last edited by iamthor4 on 06 Dec 2020, edited 6 times in total.

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

Last edited by iamthor4 on 06 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

bruv when i was that fat i was eating
rodiclulous amounts of food

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

so i have done well but im not
there yet ans keto is failing im
having a day off and gonna start a plan torrow
hence why im
picking u guys brains

dont wanna get fat again after all this hard work i still have a belly need to get rid but every diet leads back to being chubby again last ten years , why i need a lifestyle plan not in sooo bored of keto its sooo restricting man cream meat cheese

stratatonic

06 Dec 2020

aeox wrote:
05 Dec 2020
The typical breaking of my fast is a yogurt drink and a tiny little wheel of cheese, sometimes some green olives or nuts. That's a easy 17g protein that I enjoy and it gives me energy.

Then 2 hours later after my first break I have "lunch" I'll have a sandwich with a bunch of vegetables like spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers , onions, etc.

Then I won't eat anything until I get home (4-6 hours later) It's usually the most unhealthy meal of the day, because I'd probably wither away if it wasn't.

So, how many calories do you eat a day? What you wrote doesn't seem like a lot - even for your weight and height - with how active you are. I think I'd waste away.

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2020

stratatonic wrote:
06 Dec 2020
aeox wrote:
05 Dec 2020
The typical breaking of my fast is a yogurt drink and a tiny little wheel of cheese, sometimes some green olives or nuts. That's a easy 17g protein that I enjoy and it gives me energy.

Then 2 hours later after my first break I have "lunch" I'll have a sandwich with a bunch of vegetables like spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers , onions, etc.

Then I won't eat anything until I get home (4-6 hours later) It's usually the most unhealthy meal of the day, because I'd probably wither away if it wasn't.

So, how many calories do you eat a day? What you wrote doesn't seem like a lot - even for your weight and height - with how active you are. I think I'd waste away.
I don't count so I couldn't tell you exactly but it's got to be over 2000 or so. Some days I'm more hungry than others depending on how hard I work and I'll eat more after work if my body requires.

I think a bowl of soup and some bread could be quite a bit of calories, so that's what's keeping me from wasting away.

pushedbutton

08 Apr 2021

Hate to say it but my gf got me to follow her weightwatchers diet and i lost a stone in under 3 months.
It did make me realise that eating a pizza to myself every other night isn't a viable option.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information