Best site for showcasing and selling audio (field recordings, etc.)?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
joeyluck

06 Jul 2020

So I'm curious if anybody has suggestions on this :)

I'm speaking primarily of audio, not music, such as field recordings, nature sounds, ASMR type stuff, etc.

I'm currently using Soundcloud to showcase audio. It's not the best streaming quality, but from what I understand, the streaming quality is better than Bandcamp?

Selling wise, Bandcamp might be better? But I don't imagine a big audience for sound browsing Bandcamp as much as they do for music.

So streaming quality wise, what's the best option out there? And specifically selling sound (not music), what is the most appropriate site for that? Am I better off creating a store with Sellfy or something like that? Ultimately I could link whatever to my website, but I'm also thinking there would be more traffic via a host site with a search than a personal shop...

Any recommendations? Thanks!

WongoTheSane

06 Jul 2020

I have bought the full library of FreeToUseSounds, it's made by a guy travelling around the world and recording stuff (planes, trains, water droplets, Hanoi at dawn, Dakar at dusk, fish pond, fan at night with frogs craoking in the background... everything you can think of). No music at all, just field recordings. He has a variety of equipment and he labels the filename with the models used to record a particular sound.

He sells on Bandcamp, which, as a user, is quite convenient, as you can both preview the sounds, and download the highest quality files as either FLAC or WAV.

I have no idea what the financial arrangements are, though. And I must add that I didn't find him through Bandcamp itself, I found a recording somewhere, followed the trail until his website, which then sent me to Bandcamp for the actual sale.

joeyluck

06 Jul 2020

WongoTheSane wrote:
06 Jul 2020
I have bought the full library of FreeToUseSounds, it's made by a guy travelling around the world and recording stuff (planes, trains, water droplets, Hanoi at dawn, Dakar at dusk, fish pond, fan at night with frogs craoking in the background... everything you can think of). No music at all, just field recordings. He has a variety of equipment and he labels the filename with the models used to record a particular sound.

He sells on Bandcamp, which, as a user, is quite convenient, as you can both preview the sounds, and download the highest quality files as either FLAC or WAV.

I have no idea what the financial arrangements are, though. And I must add that I didn't find him through Bandcamp itself, I found a recording somewhere, followed the trail until his website, which then sent me to Bandcamp for the actual sale.
Thanks! Yeah I read that Bandcamp streams at 128kbps and Soundcloud streams at 256kbps. And I can already tell the loss of quality with some of my sounds on Soundcloud. So I was a bit concerned about that. But maybe I can upload something and see...

• Information