on ascap it says its better to have publishing account as well

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
samsome

02 Jun 2020

https://pasteboard.co/JbfH7wv.png
but how do i know if i am the publisher or not
for example if i sell music on audiojungle.......is audiojungle the publisher, so therefore i don't need the publishing account?

selig
RE Developer

02 Jun 2020

samsome wrote:
02 Jun 2020
https://pasteboard.co/JbfH7wv.png
but how do i know if i am the publisher or not
for example if i sell music on audiojungle.......is audiojungle the publisher, so therefore i don't need the publishing account?
You are the only one you can give away your publishing share. That's why you must be careful when "selling" any work you care about. Most of the time I'm more than happy to give away my 50% publishing share if the publisher is actually doing something to deserve that cut (like getting the songs cut in the first place), or a reduced cut (25%) if they are placing a non-exclusive (advertising, TV, Film placement). But if you are the one getting the song "placed", you deserve the entire "pie"!
I'm not a legal expert by any means, but I would guess AudioJungle has a non-exclusive for most songs - I would definitely do my due diligence on any deal I signed, meaning don't sign until you fully understand what the terms are. If that means hiring a lawyer, it's worth it if there's $$$ involved!
Selig Audio, LLC

samsome

02 Jun 2020

i see....

i have no experience at all in this...how could i be the one placing the song? Does that mean i have connections within the film/industry (to be able to place the song) ? i assume placing means putting the music within a film/tv show

selig
RE Developer

02 Jun 2020

samsome wrote:
02 Jun 2020
i see....

i have no experience at all in this...how could i be the one placing the song? Does that mean i have connections within the film/industry (to be able to place the song) ? i assume placing means putting the music within a film/tv show
Yes, a "placement" means a song in a film/tv/etc., or if you know an artist and they agree to record/release one of your songs. Examples of getting your own placement: cases where you release the song yourself (or when YOU are the filmmaker), or have a filmmaker/artist friend, or simply make it part of your business plan to do the publisher's job (which is not a bad idea if you have those skills).
Selig Audio, LLC

samsome

02 Jun 2020

thanks!

never thought i would be struggling to understand such things.....but anyway :p "music business"..

selig
RE Developer

02 Jun 2020

samsome wrote:
02 Jun 2020
thanks!

never thought i would be struggling to understand such things.....but anyway :p "music business"..
I too struggle with these concepts, even after being signed to a major publishing (years ago). I found this book, "All You Need to Know About the Music Business" by Donald Passman to be the best/simplest explanation of the business (now in it's 10th edition). It's easy for us non-business types to understand, and organized so you can read only the sections you are currently concerned about, and reading the rest when you're ready to further expand your understanding of the biz (or not - you don't NEED to know everything about the business…).
Selig Audio, LLC

samsome

02 Jun 2020

cheers.....

• Information