The R2R group announces they have cracked Reason 11...but then says they can't

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 486
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

Post 30 Apr 2020

And in another sense, I bought the first version of Albion easily 10 years ago and Spitfire Audio has just given me its very latest Library for free.

Not the same report but I think it deserves to be pointed out and points out that honesty can be of interest.


Image

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2598
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 30 Apr 2020

How do we know that R2R group is the same as always? Same name, but same members? Nothing in life is free, everything in life gets more and more expensive, especially for hackers. That's why the rewards are so big now. Time is money. They don't do it for free.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 454
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

Post 30 Apr 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
30 Apr 2020
sublunar wrote:
28 Apr 2020

I think you guys are being a TAD dramatic.
Unfortunately, no, this is not the case.

If you give an installer package access to change your pc, then you can be absolutely ripped to pieces.

I don't wish to be harsh here, but you need to listen, and not ever give anyone else the impression that this is not something to be concerned about.
If you give an installer package access to change your pc, then yes you can absolutely be ripped to pieces.... If that PC happens to be linked to your banking/employment/etc networks/data and you save all your passwords in the browsers and are running a computer with no/outdated antivirus and you don't take any steps to protect yourself. Then yes.

You overlooked/didn't quote the part where I clarified that anyone who dabbles in cracked software should know to test it on a non-critical PC/VM. If you dabble in cracked software on a noncritical PC/VM and you test/monitor the firewall/etc, like most reasonably concerned people do, then those doomsday scenarios you presented likely won't come anywhere close to happening.

Using cracked software is inherently a risk. Most people who do so already know this and they take steps to mitigate that risk.

Earlier you had stated the absolute worst case possible scenario in using cracked software. I merely replied to say that you were being a tad dramatic. It sounds like you might have some experience with scammers/etc but it doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience with cracked software so I simply wanted to chime in and walk your statements back to reality. As it happens, I'm an IT professional.

I'm not advocating that you guys all start using cracked software. I have done so, mostly in the past, and I can use all of the various cracked DAWs out there I choose to use since I have probably downloaded them at one point or another. But instead, I'm here in Reason-ville (so obviously I'm a paying user of a DAW that hasn't been cracked since v5-until now?). I believe in supporting the creators of whatever you love using. I therefore do support this community by purchasing the software/updates/RE's and occasionally participating in the forums.

Personal anecdote: I was using a Windows XP machine to download for all those years between early 2000's and.. honestly, just a few years ago, and the only time I was hit by a virus/malware of any sort wasn't even through downloading torrents. I got a virus at work from malware hidden inside an advertisement on photobucket.

So..the moral of my story, I guess, is: If you use a computer at work to log into any online service that utilizes advertisements as a form of revenue, then you can lose your job, income, house, etc, etc..because that advertisement could be hiding malware.
Last edited by sublunar on 30 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 454
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

Post 30 Apr 2020

geronimo wrote:
30 Apr 2020
Not the same report but I think it deserves to be pointed out and points out that honesty can be of interest.
I'm not really sure that needs to be pointed out here, in particular, since Reason hasn't been cracked since v5.. so I'm betting the vast majority of users here are paying customers, like myself who already know and appreciate the value of buying good software and supporting its creators who in turn occasionally reward their users with free stuff.

djs
Posts: 97
Joined: 29 Jan 2018

Post 30 Apr 2020

geronimo wrote:
30 Apr 2020
And in another sense, I bought the first version of Albion easily 10 years ago and Spitfire Audio has just given me its very latest Library for free.

Not the same report but I think it deserves to be pointed out and points out that honesty can be of interest.


Image
You got it for free? How?

User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 486
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

Post 30 Apr 2020

It was free for the Albion Legacy users .

User avatar
Seckin
Posts: 108
Joined: 09 Apr 2016
Location: Turkey

Post 01 May 2020

antic604 wrote:
28 Apr 2020
Seckin wrote:
25 Apr 2020
Apparently they made a tiny piece of software which emulates Codemeter. It is less than 1 mb in size...
Sorry, but I've spilled my tea reading "tiny" and "less than 1MB" in one sentence.

30 years back we had full games with logic, graphics, music fitting into 48kB of memory (i.e. 5% of 1MB)
My first computer had 512 kb RAM, I don't know what that has to do with me calling a "less than 1MB" Codemeter emulator tiny today given that the actual Codemeter software requires a 43mb download? Not only that, but 30 years back we downloaded stuff at 56 Kbps. Would you spill an equal amount of tea if I said that 56 Kbps was slow today?
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

User avatar
Seckin
Posts: 108
Joined: 09 Apr 2016
Location: Turkey

Post 01 May 2020

Edit: I only mention the economic/political aspects of this issue below to elaborate on my experience that cracked software does work with no problems, unlike some of you guys argue. And that is not to say that I defend it. I don't and I don't want to start a discussion about political economy either (which I could, as I have a PhD in economics lol).

Firstly, I see a general tendency in this forum to dismiss pirated software for reasons other than the illegality aspect of it. Such as pirated software would be crashing every second, would be full of malware, or that cracked DAW users couldn't make good music, their lives would be ripped to pieces whatever etc. Not that I could say that being so uninformed about cracked software is not a virtue I wish we all could share, it truly is, given you live in a developed country where most people can easily afford these licenses, but the rest of world does not typically enjoy a fraction of the per capita GDP you guys enjoy and these kinds of fear-spreading comments made by people who can easily proceed to checkout on their music software purchases with no financial worries would only be laughed at by citizens of those poorer countries.

I live in one of those countries (Turkey) where 1 US dollar equals 7 Turkish liras currently (wasn't so high only a few years back) and the minimum wage is around 2500 Turkish liras and more than 40% of all workers work at minimum wage. That means, Reason 11 price accounts to more than a month's earnings for many people and Reason 11 Suite is worth almost two months' pay. Let's not forget that those people can barely make a living with that money at best, so you can't just save for a month and buy Reason. What's left to say then? Poor nations shouldn't make music?

So, as a result, around 95 percent of the people I know around me who make music on computers use cracked software. I am lucky that I earn enough money to buy my stuff but many can't. And no, their lives don't get destroyed. They keep on making music. Their DAWs (if we could call it "theirs") don't crash and their bank accounts are safe.

I did use cracked software when I was a student too, so I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two :P And here is what I say:

If R2R says they have cracked it, they have cracked it. It's done. Nothing anybody can do about it. If they say they are only waiting for legit RE licenses to release it, then they are are only waiting for legit RE licenses to release it. The moment they decide to release it, Reason will be all over the place with tens of thousands of people downloading and using it. And the pirated version will be working with no problems, won't be crashing, and won't be stealing your bank info because those hack groups have a reputation of their own to protect as well, in their own shady circles, under their idiosyncratic ethical codes. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it's the rather harsh reality.

At best, we can only hope that this whole thing does no harm to beloved Reason Studios which I have a feeling it won't, given the examples of FL Studio and others. I feel and strongly hope that they will end up benefiting from it thanks to a lot of exposure. Hopefully so! That's all there is to realistically say at this point.
Last edited by Seckin on 01 May 2020, edited 9 times in total.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1638
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 01 May 2020

Seckin wrote:
01 May 2020
Firstly, I see a general tendency in this forum to dismiss pirated software for reasons other than the illegality aspect of it. Such as pirated software would be crashing every second, would be full of malware, or that cracked DAW users couldn't make good music, their lives would be ripped to pieces whatever etc. Not that I could say that being so uninformed about cracked software is not a virtue, it truly is, given you live in a developed country where most people can easily afford these licenses, but the rest of world does not typically enjoy a fraction of the per capita GDP you guys enjoy and these kinds of comments made by people who can easily proceed to checkout on their music software purchases without a second thought would only be laughed at by citizens of those poorer countries.

I live in one of those countries (Turkey) where 1 US dollar equals 7 Turkish liras currently (wasn't so high only a few years back) and the minimum wage is around 2500 Turkish liras and more than 40% of all workers work at minimum wage. That means, Reason 11 price accounts to more than a month's earnings for many people and Reason 11 Suite is worth almost two months' pay. Let's not forget that those people can barely make a living with that money at best, so you can't just save for a month and buy Reason. What's left to say then? Poor nations shouldn't make music?
Yep excellent point. And one to remember next time someone wants to throw a tantrum because Reason Studios didn't deliver exactly what they wanted in their next upgrade

User avatar
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer
Posts: 844
Joined: 03 Jan 2019

Post 01 May 2020

sublunar wrote:
30 Apr 2020
As it happens, I'm an IT professional.
Same here.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9291
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 01 May 2020

Seckin wrote:
01 May 2020
Firstly, I see a general tendency in this forum to dismiss pirated software for reasons other than the illegality aspect of it. Such as pirated software would be crashing every second, would be full of malware, or that cracked DAW users couldn't make good music, their lives would be ripped to pieces whatever etc. Not that I could say that being so uninformed about cracked software is not a virtue I wish we all could share, it truly is, given you live in a developed country where most people can easily afford these licenses, but the rest of world does not typically enjoy a fraction of the per capita GDP you guys enjoy and these kinds of fear-spreading comments made by people who can easily proceed to checkout on their music software purchases with no financial worries would only be laughed at by citizens of those poorer countries.

I live in one of those countries (Turkey) where 1 US dollar equals 7 Turkish liras currently (wasn't so high only a few years back) and the minimum wage is around 2500 Turkish liras and more than 40% of all workers work at minimum wage. That means, Reason 11 price accounts to more than a month's earnings for many people and Reason 11 Suite is worth almost two months' pay. Let's not forget that those people can barely make a living with that money at best, so you can't just save for a month and buy Reason. What's left to say then? Poor nations shouldn't make music?

So, as a result, around 95 percent of the people I know around me who make music on computers use cracked software. I am lucky that I earn enough money to buy my stuff but many can't. And no, their lives don't get destroyed. They keep on making music. Their DAWs (if we could call it "theirs") don't crash and their bank accounts are safe.

I did use cracked software when I was a student too, so I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two :P And here is what I say:

If R2R says they have cracked it, they have cracked it. It's done. Nothing anybody can do about it. If they say they are only waiting for legit RE licenses to release it, then they are are only waiting for legit RE licenses to release it. The moment they decide to release it, Reason will be all over the place with tens of thousands of people downloading and using it. And the pirated version will be working with no problems, won't be crashing, and won't be stealing your bank info because those hack groups have a reputation of their own to protect as well, in their own shady circles, under their idiosyncratic ethical codes. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it's the rather harsh reality.

At best, we can only hope that this whole thing does no harm to beloved Reason Studios which I have a feeling it won't, given the examples of FL Studio and others. I feel and strongly hope that they will end up benefiting from it thanks to a lot of exposure. Hopefully so! That's all there is to realistically say at this point.
Your common comment misses the point, that ppl here often welcome the thing pirated or discounted software for ppl with less money. Also a lot of comments in this forum of ppl h having used cracked software because they were poor, and now since they can pay it, they pay it.
So i commented myself. I had times without food. Now i have better times and have money for software.

So pls, if you make common comments about ppl here (which cannot be the truth at all), make it complete or just don't do it. Or even better, stay away about talking about ppl, rather talk about music, software and facts. Thank you.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

BigPictureSound
Posts: 68
Joined: 25 Jun 2019

Post 01 May 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Apr 2020
Hmmm. Ok? Maybe we'll bring more users? I wouldn't want to risk my system with pirated crap, only teenagers would, who wouldn't buy the product anyway, and many of those would become real clients in the future, so while personally it feels bad to read this, there's a silver lining.
The great lie for DRM was always equating 1 crack as being 1 lost sale. Absolutely right that the majority of people who crack software had no intention of ever buying it the first place

User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 486
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

Post 01 May 2020

Seckin wrote:
01 May 2020

I live in one of those countries (Turkey) where 1 US dollar equals 7 Turkish liras currently (wasn't so high only a few years back) and the minimum wage is around 2500 Turkish liras and more than 40% of all workers work at minimum wage. That means, Reason 11 price accounts to more than a month's earnings for many people and Reason 11 Suite is worth almost two months' pay.
OK, but now you are dragging us into an economic and political subject .

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2847
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 01 May 2020

If you can't buy it then it wouldn't matter cuz your purchase does not exist.
If you had income from somewhere you could definitely get it then.

User avatar
Seckin
Posts: 108
Joined: 09 Apr 2016
Location: Turkey

Post 01 May 2020

Loque wrote:
01 May 2020
Seckin wrote:
01 May 2020
Firstly, I see a general tendency in this forum to dismiss pirated software for reasons other than the illegality aspect of it. Such as pirated software would be crashing every second, would be full of malware, or that cracked DAW users couldn't make good music, their lives would be ripped to pieces whatever etc. Not that I could say that being so uninformed about cracked software is not a virtue I wish we all could share, it truly is, given you live in a developed country where most people can easily afford these licenses, but the rest of world does not typically enjoy a fraction of the per capita GDP you guys enjoy and these kinds of fear-spreading comments made by people who can easily proceed to checkout on their music software purchases with no financial worries would only be laughed at by citizens of those poorer countries.

I live in one of those countries (Turkey) where 1 US dollar equals 7 Turkish liras currently (wasn't so high only a few years back) and the minimum wage is around 2500 Turkish liras and more than 40% of all workers work at minimum wage. That means, Reason 11 price accounts to more than a month's earnings for many people and Reason 11 Suite is worth almost two months' pay. Let's not forget that those people can barely make a living with that money at best, so you can't just save for a month and buy Reason. What's left to say then? Poor nations shouldn't make music?

So, as a result, around 95 percent of the people I know around me who make music on computers use cracked software. I am lucky that I earn enough money to buy my stuff but many can't. And no, their lives don't get destroyed. They keep on making music. Their DAWs (if we could call it "theirs") don't crash and their bank accounts are safe.

I did use cracked software when I was a student too, so I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two :P And here is what I say:

If R2R says they have cracked it, they have cracked it. It's done. Nothing anybody can do about it. If they say they are only waiting for legit RE licenses to release it, then they are are only waiting for legit RE licenses to release it. The moment they decide to release it, Reason will be all over the place with tens of thousands of people downloading and using it. And the pirated version will be working with no problems, won't be crashing, and won't be stealing your bank info because those hack groups have a reputation of their own to protect as well, in their own shady circles, under their idiosyncratic ethical codes. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it's the rather harsh reality.

At best, we can only hope that this whole thing does no harm to beloved Reason Studios which I have a feeling it won't, given the examples of FL Studio and others. I feel and strongly hope that they will end up benefiting from it thanks to a lot of exposure. Hopefully so! That's all there is to realistically say at this point.
Your common comment misses the point, that ppl here often welcome the thing pirated or discounted software for ppl with less money. Also a lot of comments in this forum of ppl h having used cracked software because they were poor, and now since they can pay it, they pay it.
So i commented myself. I had times without food. Now i have better times and have money for software.

So pls, if you make common comments about ppl here (which cannot be the truth at all), make it complete or just don't do it. Or even better, stay away about talking about ppl, rather talk about music, software and facts. Thank you.
Sorry if I came across like that, I had no intention of specifically talking about people. That's not the gist of it at all.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2425
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 01 May 2020

Seckin wrote:
01 May 2020
Firstly, I see a general tendency in this forum to dismiss pirated software for reasons other than the illegality aspect of it. Such as pirated software would be crashing every second, would be full of malware, or that cracked DAW users couldn't make good music, their lives would be ripped to pieces whatever etc. Not that I could say that being so uninformed about cracked software is not a virtue I wish we all could share, it truly is, given you live in a developed country where most people can easily afford these licenses, but the rest of world does not typically enjoy a fraction of the per capita GDP you guys enjoy and these kinds of fear-spreading comments made by people who can easily proceed to checkout on their music software purchases with no financial worries would only be laughed at by citizens of those poorer countries.

I live in one of those countries (Turkey) where 1 US dollar equals 7 Turkish liras currently (wasn't so high only a few years back) and the minimum wage is around 2500 Turkish liras and more than 40% of all workers work at minimum wage. That means, Reason 11 price accounts to more than a month's earnings for many people and Reason 11 Suite is worth almost two months' pay. Let's not forget that those people can barely make a living with that money at best, so you can't just save for a month and buy Reason. What's left to say then? Poor nations shouldn't make music?

So, as a result, around 95 percent of the people I know around me who make music on computers use cracked software. I am lucky that I earn enough money to buy my stuff but many can't. And no, their lives don't get destroyed. They keep on making music. Their DAWs (if we could call it "theirs") don't crash and their bank accounts are safe.

I did use cracked software when I was a student too, so I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two :P And here is what I say:

If R2R says they have cracked it, they have cracked it. It's done. Nothing anybody can do about it. If they say they are only waiting for legit RE licenses to release it, then they are are only waiting for legit RE licenses to release it. The moment they decide to release it, Reason will be all over the place with tens of thousands of people downloading and using it. And the pirated version will be working with no problems, won't be crashing, and won't be stealing your bank info because those hack groups have a reputation of their own to protect as well, in their own shady circles, under their idiosyncratic ethical codes. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it's the rather harsh reality.

At best, we can only hope that this whole thing does no harm to beloved Reason Studios which I have a feeling it won't, given the examples of FL Studio and others. I feel and strongly hope that they will end up benefiting from it thanks to a lot of exposure. Hopefully so! That's all there is to realistically say at this point.
I don't think anyone using pirated software is making any real income from it. If they were, they'd buy their software.

User avatar
Seckin
Posts: 108
Joined: 09 Apr 2016
Location: Turkey

Post 01 May 2020

geronimo wrote:
01 May 2020

OK, but now you are dragging us into an economic and political subject .
Not really. I mean I could and there's nothing wrong about that but actually I couldn't care less about dragging anyone into that. That was not the point of my post at all. I just saw several forum members attacking piracy for the wrong reasons: that it always crashes and that it hijacks your computer and bank accounts and destroys your life whatever. So I just wanted to give some background information on my experience so as to explain how I know that's all wrong and there you have your economic and political subject, if you could call it one :puf_smile: The bottom line is, piracy is bad because it hurts the developers and that is why it should be fought against.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 486
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

Post 01 May 2020

Yes, I just read that you edited your message.
But one has the impression that comparing social levels between countries justifies the existence of pirated software.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2425
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 01 May 2020

geronimo wrote:
01 May 2020
Yes, I just read that you edited your message.
But one has the impression that comparing social levels between countries justifies the existence of pirated software.
And it doesn't. Not at all. I'm from a developing country and there is simply no excuse to not buy software if your livelihood depends on said software. That's why I say that those who pirate software don't earn any income from their use of the software.

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1679
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 01 May 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 May 2020
geronimo wrote:
01 May 2020
Yes, I just read that you edited your message.
But one has the impression that comparing social levels between countries justifies the existence of pirated software.
And it doesn't. Not at all. I'm from a developing country and there is simply no excuse to not buy software if your livelihood depends on said software. That's why I say that those who pirate software don't earn any income from their use of the software.
That's not a universal mindset. I know of many people from different countries who don't mind making their income off using pirated software.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2425
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 01 May 2020

orthodox wrote:
01 May 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 May 2020


And it doesn't. Not at all. I'm from a developing country and there is simply no excuse to not buy software if your livelihood depends on said software. That's why I say that those who pirate software don't earn any income from their use of the software.
That's not a universal mindset. I know of many people from different countries who don't mind making their income off using pirated software.
You know of many criminals.

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1679
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 01 May 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 May 2020
orthodox wrote:
01 May 2020


That's not a universal mindset. I know of many people from different countries who don't mind making their income off using pirated software.
You know of many criminals.
Yeah, if you say so. Who am I to judge billions. It's not robbery, murder or drug trafficking, after all. It's social behavior versus social order problem. One day they may come to a compromise.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2425
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 01 May 2020

orthodox wrote:
01 May 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 May 2020


You know of many criminals.
Yeah, if you say so. Who am I to judge billions. It's not robbery, murder or drug trafficking, after all. It's social behavior versus social order problem. One day they may come to a compromise.
It is robbery though. It is using a product that only can be used for a price and they are using it without paying for it.

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1679
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 01 May 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 May 2020
orthodox wrote:
01 May 2020


Yeah, if you say so. Who am I to judge billions. It's not robbery, murder or drug trafficking, after all. It's social behavior versus social order problem. One day they may come to a compromise.
It is robbery though. It is using a product that only can be used for a price and they are using it without paying for it.
It is not a robbery though. The product does not get lost by the owner. I can't judge a homeless for warming himself by a heating pipe and not paying for the heat.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2425
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 01 May 2020

orthodox wrote:
01 May 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 May 2020


It is robbery though. It is using a product that only can be used for a price and they are using it without paying for it.
It is not a robbery though. The product does not get lost by the owner. I can't judge a homeless for warming himself by a heating pipe and not paying for the heat.

Would you not judge him if he was making a profitable business out of renting said pipe?

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests