The R2R group announces they have cracked Reason 11...but then says they can't

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
PhillipOrdonez

25 Apr 2020

nanlo wrote:
25 Apr 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Apr 2020
Hmmm. Ok? Maybe we'll bring more users? I wouldn't want to risk my system with pirated crap, only teenagers would, who wouldn't buy the product anyway, and many of those would become real clients in the future, so while personally it feels bad to read this, there's a silver lining.
I think I used to know someone who started just like that. . .
I started out just like that.

Jagwah

25 Apr 2020

I think pirating has worked very well for fruity loops over the years. They've even had enough money / inclination to implement many many new features inside the DAW itself, something we Reason users can only cry / laugh about these days.

They say that things which come easy never last long. I am not sure how dedicated I would have been if I didn't make the investment in Reason myself, over $600 for Reason 4 which was probably all of my money at the time. If I just cracked it instead, I'm not sure I would have ever had the same enthusiasm and dedication, and feeling of belonging.

Oquasec

25 Apr 2020

I don't know if the language used to make the software affects anything but is that the case?
Would be interesting to know.
---
In regards to each daw being different, that's an understatement.
I'd need a good reason to use more than one, and I believe the FL combo has enough differences between them to be a useful addition.
Last edited by Oquasec on 26 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

demt

26 Apr 2020

as ever mentall health is the worst fate available on planet earth i shouldnt b sirprised after 40 yeares on the system but thats that
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Propellerhands

26 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
24 Apr 2020
But then you get special idiots like this guy, who on top of doing that, wants praise and wants something in return lol! He wants people to respect his work :roll: So incredibly ironic. But also, he's got other issues if he's running around claiming he's done this or that, when everybody who knows better, knows he hasn't.
Absolutely, I agree 100 percent. Crackers disrespect IP and then want others to respect their work that they do cracking IP. I mean, they must make up their minds, either they believe in IP or they don't. This inconsistency always baffled me.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

Wook

26 Apr 2020

Jagwah wrote:
25 Apr 2020
I think pirating has worked very well for fruity loops over the years. They've even had enough money / inclination to implement many many new features inside the DAW itself, something we Reason users can only cry / laugh about these days.
This. I'd like to refer to Ableton Live. I've read somewhere about how they think. They are very aware of weak protection Live has and it's pretty much done like that on purpose. Their philosophy is that if a user likes the software, he/she will eventually buy it. It worked in my case because I've bought Push 2 + Suite. It's based on honour. One of huge advantages of that is exposure. At this point in time, Ableton has 670.953 followers on Facebook and a super interesting feed while Reason has very weak 116.435 people willing to watch stale and recycled promo material. Before someone says "but this is not a popularity contest, meeeeeh :(" I'll answer in advance, oh yes, yes it is. The most popular software gets developed the most. Simple.

Hopefully people on this forum never get a chance to run a company. The only place they would run it is into the ground.

Propellerheads are behind in pretty much every aspect and it's not about staff. You've been harping the same thing for ages now. Little Bitwig has a few developers and it's modularity is everything Reason would like to be. The only thing I would call advantage that Reason has are REs and automation. Browser and sequencer suck ass.

Loque

26 Apr 2020

Wook wrote:
26 Apr 2020
Jagwah wrote:
25 Apr 2020
This. I'd like to refer to Ableton Live. I've read somewhere about how they think. They are very aware of weak protection Live has and it's pretty much done like that on purpose. Their philosophy is that if a user likes the software, he/she will eventually buy it. It worked in my case because I've bought Push 2 + Suite. It's based on honour. One of huge advantages of that is exposure. At this point in time, Ableton has 670.953 followers on Facebook and a super interesting feed while Reason has very weak 116.435 people willing to watch stale and recycled promo material. Before someone says "but this is not a popularity contest, meeeeeh :(" I'll answer in advance, oh yes, yes it is. The most popular software gets developed the most. Simple.

Hopefully people on this forum never get a chance to run a company. The only place they would run it is into the ground.

Propellerheads are behind in pretty much every aspect and it's not about staff. You've been harping the same thing for ages now. Little Bitwig has a few developers and it's modularity is everything Reason would like to be. The only thing I would call advantage that Reason has are REs and automation. Browser and sequencer suck ass.
Its not the most popular, its the company that has most resources and invest the most with the best devs. A popular DAW which is only pirated wouldnt give the company any dime and will be down in a quite short time.

Dont get me wrong, i am open to the discussion of pirated software for ppl who cannot effort it, but stealing is not the solution IMO. Rather give students, scholar, jobless or poor ppl some kind of discount. But the effort to "control" this does cost too - if you earn 30 bucks on a student and have costs of 30 bucks for the guy checking the documents, you can also give it away for free to anybody. Difficult stuff...really...
Reason12, Win10

Ulpu

26 Apr 2020

I am just very surprised that FL gives birthday discounts to EVERYONE (not only for old customers - but for everyone who creates account). And still they give lifelong upgrades free of extra charges. And then we have Reason - no free upgrades, no birthday discounts - and they have been free from pirated versions - at least until now.

You would think that FL has less features, or much older features since they give "free" upgrades etc. But actually they have very up to date features. And some features were first in FL than in Reason...

Yonatan

28 Apr 2020

Ulpu wrote:
26 Apr 2020
I am just very surprised that FL gives birthday discounts to EVERYONE (not only for old customers - but for everyone who creates account). And still they give lifelong upgrades free of extra charges. And then we have Reason - no free upgrades, no birthday discounts - and they have been free from pirated versions - at least until now.

You would think that FL has less features, or much older features since they give "free" upgrades etc. But actually they have very up to date features. And some features were first in FL than in Reason...
How do FL Studio survive and thrive? Do they sell hardware or anything else connected? Or are the owners making profit in some other area? I am curious. Or is it enough for them to put trust in an ever flowing new stream of new kids (on the block) to invest into a lifetime deal as it is such a good deal?

Ulpu

28 Apr 2020

Yonatan wrote:
28 Apr 2020
Ulpu wrote:
26 Apr 2020
How do FL Studio survive and thrive? Do they sell hardware or anything else connected? Or are the owners making profit in some other area? I am curious. Or is it enough for them to put trust in an ever flowing new stream of new kids (on the block) to invest into a lifetime deal as it is such a good deal?
I’ve been thinking the same thing! And FL has been pirated for years. But still it seems they can keep updating their DAW and keep it very modern.

Ulpu

28 Apr 2020

...the FL’s look might not be modern and clear :D But the effects & instruments are - when you would easily think “of they give free updates then their stuff can’t be up to date”.

supersplaron

28 Apr 2020

Is it cracked or not?

Loque

28 Apr 2020

Yea, who is the brave fool downloading and installing it? Anyone with security skills and a protected VM?
Reason12, Win10

deigm

28 Apr 2020

supersplaron wrote:
28 Apr 2020
Is it cracked or not?
It is not. A reputable cracking team claimed it was but provided no evidence.

Loque

28 Apr 2020

deigm wrote:
28 Apr 2020
supersplaron wrote:
28 Apr 2020
Is it cracked or not?
It is not. A reputable cracking team claimed it was but provided no evidence.
Reputation lost.
reputation lost.gif
reputation lost.gif (186.73 KiB) Viewed 9438 times
Reason12, Win10

antic604

28 Apr 2020

Seckin wrote:
25 Apr 2020
Apparently they made a tiny piece of software which emulates Codemeter. It is less than 1 mb in size...
Sorry, but I've spilled my tea reading "tiny" and "less than 1MB" in one sentence.

30 years back we had full games with logic, graphics, music fitting into 48kB of memory (i.e. 5% of 1MB)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

PhillipOrdonez

28 Apr 2020

supersplaron wrote:
28 Apr 2020
Is it cracked or not?
You shouldn't be asking us about it. 😂

exxx

28 Apr 2020

Rather than being difficult, it may be correct that there was no need to crack in the meantime.

Now that reason is supported by other daws as an instrument, there is a need to crack

antic604

28 Apr 2020

The problem with finding answer whether it's beneficial for RS or not is that no one can answer following questions:
- how many users of pirated copies buy a legal version eventually?
- how many would never be aware and purchased the software if it wasn't for the availability of pirated copy?

Otherwise all we're left with is anegdotal evidence & hoping for the best.
Music tech enthusiast.

antic604

28 Apr 2020

Wook wrote:
26 Apr 2020
At this point in time, Ableton has 670.953 followers on Facebook and a super interesting feed while Reason has very weak 116.435 people
The difference is in Ableton group most posts are like "what is MIDI" and "how do I make lightshows with Launchpad", whereas people in Reason group have advanced feature / technique discussions and post awesome music :)
Music tech enthusiast.

sublunar

28 Apr 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
24 Apr 2020
MrFigg wrote:
24 Apr 2020

Read this and just wondered what you meant “risk everything”. Genuinely curious.
ALL of your passwords (including banks etc.), ALL of your browser history (including the private browsing stuff), ALL of your files (including the ability for the data to be learned, deleted, copied). pretty much everythin you do on your pc, or everything which is linked to it is at risk.

It is exceptionally dangerous to open yourself to this stuff these days; once upon a time the threat was that you had to reboot your PC. Today it is no exaggeration that you could be risking your house.
I think you guys are being a TAD dramatic.

First of all, the newer Windows OSes are much more resilient than in years past. They're also much better about blocking weird software actions.

Second, anyone who downloads cracked software knows (should know) to do so on a VM/non-critical computer. Install/test/monitor firewall/etc. Make sure things work and it's not calling home to China.

R2R is a legit group of longtime known quality crackers and if they say they did it, then I believe they did it.

Lastly, I don't think any semi/professional musicians who rely on their software to earn an income from it are out there running cracked stuff. You do it initially to get started and hone your skills until you can buy the real stuff.

-

I grew up poor. I wanted to make music (<-- I have no idea why that is now a link). I went through literal hell to get my first guitar which was a whopping $100. I built my first computers out of other people's recycle piles. Eventually, I got a fancy "full duplex" sound card out of one of those old discarded machines. I then downloaded Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0 (<--apparently Reason Talk is using spammy links in comments now. Real nice /s.) from Katzwarez over 56Kbps dialup in probably ~1998 (?). I downloaded everything I could get my hands on and found the stuff I liked and the stuff I didn't like. I had/have a cracked version of Reason 5 and I was SO stoked to get it. But it didn't Record audio so it was of limited usefulness to me.

Prior to recording on a computer, I was so desperate to record songs/ideas I was working on, I turned a dual tape deck boombox into my recording interface: I took a cassette and a tape head out of an old tape player, cut out the space to install the tape head in it, wired that into a shitty Radio Shack microphone and recorded my first sounds using the tape duplication function of the boombox.

Fast forward to post-College adult life: Now, I'm running paid/legit versions of Reason 10 and Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 among other software. Pirated software is a means to an end. It's not going to lead to a life of crime..although I don't claim to not be a criminal in other respects (COUGHcheckoutmyyoutubechannelCOUGH [link added by myself]).

I have no regrets/shame about pirating software before I could afford to pay for the ones I really liked. Now I own a house and have bank accounts and a variety of guitars and other instruments. You gotta start somewhere.

-
EDIT: I don't know what the fuck is going on with the random spam links in the comments. Sometimes when I load the page, they're visible and other times not. I found one mention of this elsewhere on Reasontalk (this thread) and the mods never even chimed in or announced (as far as I can tell) the introduction of spammy advertisement links in comments but other users confirmed it. That is really, really lame.

phithegoldenratio

28 Apr 2020

sublunar wrote:
28 Apr 2020
Enlightenspeed wrote:
24 Apr 2020

ALL of your passwords (including banks etc.), ALL of your browser history (including the private browsing stuff), ALL of your files (including the ability for the data to be learned, deleted, copied). pretty much everythin you do on your pc, or everything which is linked to it is at risk.

It is exceptionally dangerous to open yourself to this stuff these days; once upon a time the threat was that you had to reboot your PC. Today it is no exaggeration that you could be risking your house.

First of all, the newer Windows OSes are much more resilient than in years past. They're also much better about blocking weird software actions.

Second, anyone who downloads cracked software knows (should know) to do so on a VM/non-critical computer. Install/test/monitor firewall/etc. Make sure things work and it's not calling home to China.

R2R is a legit group of longtime known quality crackers and if they say they did it, then I believe they did it.

Lastly, I don't think any semi/professional musicians who rely on their software to earn an income from it are out there running cracked stuff. You do it initially to get started and hone your skills until you can buy the real stuff.

-

I grew up poor. I wanted to make music (<-- I have no idea why that is now a link). I went through literal hell to get my first guitar which was a whopping $100. I built my first computers out of other people's recycle piles. Eventually, I got a fancy "full duplex" sound card out of one of those old discarded machines. I then downloaded Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0 (<--apparently Reason Talk is using spammy links in comments now. Real nice /s.) from Katzwarez over 56Kbps dialup in probably ~1998 (?). I downloaded everything I could get my hands on and found the stuff I liked and the stuff I didn't like. I had/have a cracked version of Reason 5 and I was SO stoked to get it. But it didn't Record audio so it was of limited usefulness to me.

Prior to recording on a computer, I was so desperate to record songs/ideas I was working on, I turned a dual tape deck boombox into my recording interface: I took a cassette and a tape head out of an old tape player, cut out the space to install the tape head in it, wired that into a shitty Radio Shack microphone and recorded my first sounds using the tape duplication function of the boombox.

Fast forward to post-College adult life: Now, I'm running paid/legit versions of Reason 10 and Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 among other software. Pirated software is a means to an end. It's not going to lead to a life of crime..although I don't claim to not be a criminal in other respects (COUGHcheckoutmyyoutubechannelCOUGH [link added by myself]).

I have no regrets/shame about pirating software before I could afford to pay for the ones I really liked. Now I own a house and have bank accounts and a variety of guitars and other instruments. You gotta start somewhere.

-
EDIT: I don't know what the fuck is going on with the random spam links in the comments. Sometimes when I load the page, they're visible and other times not. I found one mention of this elsewhere on Reasontalk (this thread) and the mods never even chimed in or announced (as far as I can tell) the introduction of spammy advertisement links in comments but other users confirmed it. That is really, really lame.
a great and thoughtful post amongst a pile of panic n disinfo spreading in this thread.

lol there was evidence of case in which legit companies fkkd private sphere even more than r2r guys ever could ;)

jam-s

28 Apr 2020

antic604 wrote:
28 Apr 2020
Seckin wrote:
25 Apr 2020
Apparently they made a tiny piece of software which emulates Codemeter. It is less than 1 mb in size...
Sorry, but I've spilled my tea reading "tiny" and "less than 1MB" in one sentence.

30 years back we had full games with logic, graphics, music fitting into 48kB of memory (i.e. 5% of 1MB)
And today we have amazing intros done in 4k (=4096 bytes of binary data):

EdGrip

29 Apr 2020

I wasn't into music software in those days - just playing guitar! But I learned PhotoShop on cracked software, to a professional standard, in my early teens, just because it was good fun.

In recent years I got back into photography, and decided to buy Photoshop. But by that point Adobe had gone all Cloud subscription, so I bought Capture One instead, along with Affinity Photo to handle the more technical bits. (How anybody can recommend GIMP remains entirely beyond me.)

Learning on cracked software as a kid is the best way to learn. (kids love playing with this software and learning it IS play - I remember that feeling. Tutorials after tutorials for weeks, from Spoono dot com, long before broadband and YouTube)
But kids don't have the means to buy professional software - or even subscriptions. If software companies could harness this simple fact in a legit way, I'm sure they would have loooong ago. ("This software is free to use for kids. Are you a kid? Y / N")

As for computer hygiene - nerdy kids are better at that than you are.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

30 Apr 2020

sublunar wrote:
28 Apr 2020
Enlightenspeed wrote:
24 Apr 2020

Unfortunately, no, this is not the case.

If you give an installer package access to change your pc, then you can be absolutely ripped to pieces.

I'm not making assumptions about the motivations of any particular hacking group - there are undoubtedly some who do so for ethical purposes. However, we live in a world where there are hundreds of well equipped call centres, that do nothing but scam all day long about insurance claims on accidents that never happened etc. These places have continued to exist for the last 20 years or so in growing numbers. Why? Because it works. It is lucrative.

As for the cyber-crime economy, well, it is now about 50% the size of the entire fossil fuels economy, and still growing rapidly.

Now, stop, take a deep breath, and read that last sentence again.

I don't wish to be harsh here, but you need to listen, and not ever give anyone else the impression that this is not something to be concerned about.

Peace,
B

• Information