The R2R group announces they have cracked Reason 11...but then says they can't

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Micha1973

25 Apr 2020

I hope not that they crack Reason Studio and all the Re´s. I invest so much money to let reason be alive. :puf_unhappy:
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

doze

25 Apr 2020

They will need a legit license for each RE to reverse engineer it.

Seckin

25 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
25 Apr 2020
Seckin wrote:
25 Apr 2020
In order to crack a rack extension, they need one legit copy of it first. So you have purchased, say, a hundred of the best rack extensions and if you give them away to R2R (in the process losing them) they will crack them and finally release Reason including them.
So how would one "give away" an RE seeing as how you can't? Transfer a complete account?
I don't know. Probably.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

Loque

25 Apr 2020

doze wrote:
25 Apr 2020
They could also start with free ones, which have a valid license too. Even if the RE itself would be modified, and i am skeptical about that, if their emulation would work, it would not be necessary. I might be wrong, but i am very skeptical they got it cracked. I think you just install a malware root kit instead of a WIBU emulation.
Reason12, Win10

Seckin

25 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Apr 2020
doze wrote:
25 Apr 2020
They could also start with free ones, which have a valid license too. Even if the RE itself would be modified, and i am skeptical about that, if their emulation would work, it would not be necessary. I might be wrong, but i am very skeptical they got it cracked. I think you just install a malware root kit instead of a WIBU emulation.
I am actually tempted to try it with the MAAT plugins they released and then all would be confirmed but no, just a big NO :D My music doesn't need a $1600 EQ plugin anyway (I hadn't even heard of the company until this) and it certainly does not need the legal consequences either. But judging by the comments section, people are installing and using it. The malware aspect on the other hand is something I don't know. From what I read it didn't seem likely but a part of me hopes it is.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

estuary

25 Apr 2020

Reasonstudios is gold.

They are trying to crack the program mostly for the "challenge" (and of course nowadays for scam purpose probably...traps, traps)

Times have changed, around ~1995 it was tough for so much user to buy $2000 softwares without "demo mode"
You could just go to Astalavista .com and copy paste serial number :roll:

I believe now it's another era ... cracked softwares very risky.
Can't think about creating a song or template with cracked software...then be able to open/edit the file for a while? I doubt (big waste of time)

By the way,
I hope that ReasonStudios can improve account security in the near future (for example with Google Double Auth)
As same as many platforms your username and password probably worth a lot of money ;)
Of course users have to care about their username and password, but still best to get extra security features, just in case. (what do you think?)

Yonatan

25 Apr 2020

The more a software makes updates and keep it fresh, the less point it is to use cracked version. I mean the lack of consistency wont be worth it, unless if so young or broke that you wont buy a copy anyway.

With the quite slow pace of updates to R11 and RS REs, it might be easier to be on a cracked version. So if this crack happens, RS would need to step up its game a notch, making it too cumbersome to stay up-to-date with cracked versions. No serious user would want to go through that mess in the long run. If you are a dedicated user, it makes all sense to use a legit copy. The rest, well, willbe free riders but might not end up using it so much, as they might have collectors syndrome and no time to use the DAW. If you really depend on Reason echosystem, then you will continue to buy.

A side effect could be quicker updates, better user service and some more frequent sales and deals. So, its not the end of the world if happens. And RS will make changes in safety. Imagine if many new people use a cracked version, and then RS release a stunning R12 (with a seamless connection to ipad etc), with new safety, it might actually increase the sale. Just think of how much more interest and traffic there will be on youtube for all tutorials concerning Reason´s many dimensions. The increase of traffic will lead to more exposure of the DAW (and Rack plugin).
All that seems as an instant bad thing is not always so in the bigger perspective. But, no, I do not encourage any cracking, but where there is fancy cargo ships crossing the 7 seas, there will also be piracy in some way or the other. Especially when there is huge amount of people who cannot barely afford their rent and basic food. The more exposure, the possible more loyal users. How many kids have not stood there in awe looking at their friends bigger brother showing off some cool software? That availability plus the higher rate of videos on youtube, is more likely bringing in dedicated users than any thick wall of protection. Many today gives away things for free, which brings in a lot of interests, and as there is always going to be people who "fall in love", they will loyally support a good behaving brand or artist or whatever. Just like the corona viruses, it is terrible, but as everything it can make many of us rethink and consider changing our behaviors, re-value life and stay a bit more humble. So it can be a catalyst pushing us either down the drain into hate and separation, or bring us to our sane senses and start to co-operate in good-will. Look at Ryans live-streaming of Reason on youtube, it is a great thing. Change is upon us and we better learn to surf with the wave and not resisting it.

Heater

25 Apr 2020

It won’t affect sales. Folks that use the pirate version where never going to buy the full thing.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2020

Heater wrote:
25 Apr 2020
It won’t affect sales. Folks that use the pirate version where never going to buy the full thing.
Truth
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jwd606

25 Apr 2020

On the broader forum they have sections for DAWS, with Studio One having the most comments, followed by FL Studio, Live and Cubase.

Reason doesn't get it's own sub-section amongst the other 9 DAWS which do. Shows that Reason as a DAW is falling well behind in the popularity stakes.

Loque

25 Apr 2020

jwd606 wrote:
25 Apr 2020
On the broader forum they have sections for DAWS, with Studio One having the most comments, followed by FL Studio, Live and Cubase.

Reason doesn't get it's own sub-section amongst the other 9 DAWS which do. Shows that Reason as a DAW is falling well behind in the popularity stakes.
Crackabilty?
Reason12, Win10

zabukowski

25 Apr 2020

I've heard about Codemeter /WIBU emulator in february.

I think Reason 11.2 update not long after that, could be a reaction to that ...

From release notes:
* New version of Authorizer with several improvements, including fixing an incompatibility with other software using CodeMeter

Noplan
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2020

Every cracked software remains a demo on many levels. I see it a little more relaxed and think that this is actually a free promotion.

Biolumin3sc3nt

25 Apr 2020

* We already emulated Reason. CoreAPI only. No packer is used.
* Every single RackExtension needs legit license.
* We saw crack of Reason somewhere but it does not work. Project made by
legit Reason cannot be loaded in that cracked version due to the lack of
decryption emulation.
* ATM We don't have plan to release unless we have all extensions with lic.

I'll believe it when I see it, and if it is real, it'll probably crash every few minutes --- good luck with that!

I can see it now, a whole new breed of Swamp Pirates will flood RS' inbox with: "Dude, Reason sucks -- It keeps on crashing on Me"
Last edited by Biolumin3sc3nt on 25 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

orthodox
RE Developer

25 Apr 2020

Heater wrote:
25 Apr 2020
It eventually will affect future sales, but it's hard to estimate lost revenues. Some new potential customers will choose pirated version.

Aquila

25 Apr 2020

The RS team have enjoyed being skirted by crackers for quite a long time now. The risk of their software being attacked has always existed, but the inevitability seems to have increased significantly since venturing into VST territory.

I'm quite confident that Ernst was quite switched on regarding these matters when he was in office. He would've had plans of what the company would do when such a time would come. It'll be interesting to see whether they choose to fight it, embrace it, or do something unexpected with it.

Heater

25 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
25 Apr 2020
Heater wrote:
25 Apr 2020
It eventually will affect future sales, but it's hard to estimate lost revenues. Some new potential customers will choose pirated version.
I think more likely the opposite. In my youth I used pirate software and I ended up buying the ones I used the most as most of my friends did.

Zac

25 Apr 2020

Well if they can't or won't crack REs then it's only a relatively minor thing IMO to make the main program available. I.e even if I could download a cracked version of 11.2 it wouldn't be worth it if I couldn't use my legit REs.

And even if they do crack REs from a purely self centred point of view it really doesn't affect me anyway. They have zero net value anyway as I can't sell them. Sure it would be irritating that someone could get for free what I paid thousands for, but in reality it would make no difference.

My worry would be for the devs and the liklihood we'd lose even more of them if their profits are hit.

VIVIsect

25 Apr 2020

Heater wrote:
25 Apr 2020
I think more likely the opposite. In my youth I used pirate software and I ended up buying the ones I used the most as most of my friends did.
Same. When I got my start, it was all pirated software, including Reason. Eventually started buying up all the stuff that I regularly used. It's the same for a lot of people who start with warez and end up sticking to making music for the long haul. And the stuff they don't have that initial easy access to, cracked stuff, a lot never bother with/eventually purchase. Personally, I don't think it's a real mystery why Reason's popularity started dropping off around the time they switched from a simple serial number to dongles.

orthodox
RE Developer

25 Apr 2020

VIVIsect wrote:
25 Apr 2020
<...> Reason's popularity started dropping off around the time they switched from a simple serial number to dongles.
Is it your feeling or a fact you can confirm? I heard of the opposite.

Aquila

25 Apr 2020

VIVIsect wrote:
25 Apr 2020
Reason's popularity among freebooters started dropping off around the time they switched from a simple serial number to dongles.
FTFY ;)

MarkTarlton

25 Apr 2020

my first thought, most of the popular DAW's and tools (logic, live, fruity loops, native instruments, arturia,etc) are all currently cracked, and that isn't stopping them. The closed systems like UAD and Reason have loyal followers like us that pay for their tools.

Dante

25 Apr 2020

Why not have a song competition for songs created using cracked version ? To qualify for the prize of a real license, they must supply proof they are using a cracked version by posting it to Propheads to certify its cracked along with all their contact details. On top of this, I'd be interested to see if any cracked reason users music was any good. You would think if it was good its because someone spends time on their music rather than subverting other's creative efforts. So yeah, roll out those cracked tunes ye jolly ol pirates ! We will probably find it full of nothing much but Rex Loops, devoid of any original content :roll: Lets see how good you are where it really counts in this music making business :lol:

nanlo

25 Apr 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Apr 2020
Hmmm. Ok? Maybe we'll bring more users? I wouldn't want to risk my system with pirated crap, only teenagers would, who wouldn't buy the product anyway, and many of those would become real clients in the future, so while personally it feels bad to read this, there's a silver lining.
I think I used to know someone who started just like that. . .
:reason: :record: :ignition: :re: :refill:
Reason since v3.0
Main Rig:
4 24" monitors
Windows 7 & WIndows 10
12 core Intel Xeon E5-1660 @ 3.3GHz
26GB RAM
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
Scarlett 6i6
KRK Rocket 8 (stereo) + KRK Rocket 10 sub.

ProfessaKaos

25 Apr 2020

Hope it crashes frequently, but gives pirates just enough of a taste.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

• Information