Utilising the internet for feedback

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
BlkRd

23 Apr 2020

Hello everyone,

Just joined the site but been stopping by for a while.

I would like to gain feedback on some of my music but unsure of the best way forward. I dont expect my music to go anywhere, but at the same time I dont want poor quality work out there in the world.

If you were aiming for label releases (not saying i am up to that standard yet) - then would you keep your tracks to yourself until you can get them to the labels? I hear many conflicting things, that songs circulate for a while then get picked up and labels like that as saves them work, but at same time i read that labels dont like tracks being out there.

I understand it will always be different depending on the situation, how the stars align.

I have a clear vision for some releases and feel my compositions are ok, but obviously the age old tussle with mixing and mastering...dont know if i want rough demos etc out there.

What are you guys thoughts?

All the best

BlkRd

26 Apr 2020

To follow up on my own musings... After listening to other peoples music on forums I figure I want to continue to work on my mix until up to their standard. TritoneAdiction's track in the Reason music forum is really good, and made me go back to my own to keep working. Hopefuly i'll share my work one day. Trying to start work on visuals to acompany a couple of tracks, crazy that these days you gotta do a bit of everything, if thats how you wanna go about it. But then we have access to tech and tools which allow for "pro" (whatever that is) quality, independently.

platzangst

27 Apr 2020

The trick about aiming for, if not perfection, then some level of competence you're comfortable with, is that it's easy to get sucked into a trap where you feel nothing you do will EVER be good enough, and you wind up never releasing anything. While it's true that a lot of labels tend to like to have exclusive content - that is, they want to be able to control it and be the only source that releases it - and that means they aren't likely to want to release anything you've already put out on SoundCloud , the flip side to that is that a lot of labels are very finicky these days about signing artists that already have some sort of following. Crass as it may sound, some submission guidelines I've seen from some labels specifically want you to list what sort of social media followings you have. Granted, a lot of this depends on what sort of label it is and what kind of music you make. But I would be less worried about perfecting your craft (though don't stop trying to improve) and work on getting your music out there in order to get people interested in it.

Which, I should add, is easier than it sounds.

• Information