How many times have you said "Im taking a break from buying new stuff" only to fall back into your old GAS behavior?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2020

I've said this to myself so many times at this point. "I'm taking a break from buying new REs/plugins." And I don't think I've ever managed to keep that word for any longer period of time. As soon as a new RE comes along that interests me I'm there ready to spend my money.
To be fair, I do use most of the REs I buy and I try my best to incorprate them in my songs. That's how I justify buying new stuff all the time. Still I realized a long time ago that I've got enough toys to play with for at least 5 years of steady music making.

Has anyone here actually managed to break the GAS cycle? Or have you like me pretty much accepted that you'll keep buying new shit all them time?

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Apr 2020

I have never started it, and I can hardly imagine how an addicted person would feel.

Jackjackdaw

21 Apr 2020

I have spent a fair amount over the last year or so, building a studio from scratch so it does feel like I'm constantly forking out. I have clear goals in mind though. I have just finished recording an album so I am confident I have everything I need inside the box.

My latest purchases have been an eq bundle, studio headphones and a power supply for my guitar pedals. Utility stuff I don't think counts as GAS.

I feel awful if I buy something I don't use so I try to be careful.

Jackjackdaw

21 Apr 2020

Things I regret buying over the last year have been : Arturia Pigments, it was really cheap but Reason had these bases covered. MPC software, also really cheap and confirmed that a hardware MPC wouldn't be useful to me, so not a total loss. Umph Club drums is just shit. I hold on to these regrets to save me from buying more unnecessary stuff!

Kalm

21 Apr 2020

Near every week. I've been having withdrawals lately
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Lov2sing

21 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
21 Apr 2020
I have never started it, and I can hardly imagine how an addicted person would feel.
So you’re saying you are addicted to not buying anything?
:)
We make music for a reason

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Apr 2020

Lov2sing wrote:
21 Apr 2020
orthodox wrote:
21 Apr 2020
So you’re saying you are addicted to not buying anything?
:)
I am saying that this is an addiction world we live in. We can't really have proper judgements here that we could rely upon, as we can only justify our addictions. So we find ourselves a suitable addictory and addictuate more addicts into our addictship.

kuhliloach

21 Apr 2020

Zero times but maybe I should? Fortunately purchase amounts get smaller as my skills improve and incredible audio tools become cheap or free.

The better I am at writing, production, mixing, and mastering the less I feel the need to buy anything. The most alluring place to spend money for me is the very affordable iOS AUv3 scene. For me and many people I know most writing and production these days is happening on either iOS or macOS GarageBand / Logic. Others I work with use Ableton now, so I get to use and learn that via other peoples' systems without having to own it (yet). Plus with my average iOS purchase in the $10 area (TAL, KORG, BramBros, MOOG, BeepStreet) my addiction can be fed at a low cost. And until the UI is overhauled I will continue to use Reason 10 for mastering passes through Kuassa Kratos 2. Full Ableton and NI product line licenses are on my wishlist, so I guess I am somewhat addicted.

jam-s

21 Apr 2020

I can only advice to stay the f*** away from the Kontakt libraries route as this is just another huge can of worms in itself.

motuscott

21 Apr 2020

Never, can I say never?
Of course I'm lying, it's just who I am.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
21 Apr 2020
I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but of course that's what an addict would say. :lol:
I would probably stop buying new stuff if I actually felt some kind of regret buying all my previous REs. But I don't. For the most part I love my RE purchases and they've helped inspire many tracks. Still I can't help but feel that I should use my current REs a lot more before adding even more stuff to my RE collection. Like what's the point of buying new REs if I have only scratched the surface on my old ones?

Bit I guess until I've resolved this inner conflict I'll keep buying more.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2020

jam-s wrote:
21 Apr 2020
I can only advice to stay the f*** away from the Kontakt libraries route as this is just another huge can of worms in itself.
This is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the VSTs as much as possible. If I open myself up to the VST world then the search for new shit will be endless.
Also the annoying floating windows and having to make different accounts for every new developer. Love having everything in ONE place, one account.

orthodox
RE Developer

23 Apr 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Apr 2020
orthodox wrote:
21 Apr 2020
I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but of course that's what an addict would say. :lol:
I would probably stop buying new stuff if I actually felt some kind of regret buying all my previous REs. But I don't. For the most part I love my RE purchases and they've helped inspire many tracks. Still I can't help but feel that I should use my current REs a lot more before adding even more stuff to my RE collection. Like what's the point of buying new REs if I have only scratched the surface on my old ones?

Bit I guess until I've resolved this inner conflict I'll keep buying more.
This can be shaped the way like if buying new stuff really distracts you from thoroughly exploring the stuff you already have. Like outward vs inward exploration. To add more negative connotation to new things, a frivolous way vs a serious one. And then you try to test if that's really the case with regards to your music, which I assume to be the primary goal. If an immersion into old things does not bring results, or satisfaction, then you can keep doing what you did and don't look back.

Robert Wade

24 Apr 2020

I can relate mate but this Corona has finally put an end to this habit for me. For how long God knows.

Micha1973

24 Apr 2020

Yes.....every time i bought one. and i bought lately the rob papen explorer 6, cause i have 4 re´s and for 99 €...thats life
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

motuscott

24 Apr 2020

if this syringe full of bleach don't cure me, I'm not sure what will
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Seckin

27 Apr 2020

It's a subtitute for not producing stuff.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2020

Seckin wrote:
27 Apr 2020
It's a subtitute for not producing stuff.
I think that might be true for a lot of people. But for me it seems to be the other way around. I make more music when I buy stuff, otherwise I feel guilty for not using what I've bought. Since upgrading to the R11 Suite (about 6 months ago) I've written 12 new tracks. For me that's a lot. Probably more than I usually do. I doubt I would find the motivation to do that by looking at Subtractor or Thor.
Hmm :? I'm actually starting to think this buying behavior might not be such a bad idea after all. I mean if it makes me produce more music, I'd say it's worth spending some money.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2020

Apparently I'm known on this forum for my RE/ VST purchasing skills. Although it's been true in the past I think I've found some strategies to kerb this behavior.

1. Try the device. Obvious, but for a long time I just read the description of what the particular device was capable of, looked at the GUI, looked at the price and then bought it without trying. Now...it's trial all the way. I usually know within 5 minutes if I like it and more often than not these days I don't. The latest example...I've been looking to get an Echorec for ages. Pulsar Echorec was on sale for $24 down from something like €110 on jrrshop. I was at work when I saw it and put it in my cart immediately. Then I decided to wait a bit and struggled the whole day until I got home and tried it. Nothing I couldn't do with the REs and VSTs I already have so $24 saved and the craving for more equipment reduced.

2. Go back to refills and REs/ Devices I already have and decide if I really need the extra functionality a dedicated device offers. Arturia V collection point in fact. Didn't need half the devices and had myself covered with three quarters of the remaining.

3. Wait it out. Point in fact...Reason Studios REs. We all know the story there. The main thing here is that I'm a hobbyist...maybe if I was working with music and needed a device there and then for a particular project then I'd but there and then at cost price...but I'm not.

4. Revisit old Res. Just found a use for Directre after it lying dormant for 8 years.

5. Set a spending limit. I've got a general if it costs more than €29 I'll wait it out. In the past I've had no problems with shelling out 100s of Euros but as I said above when it comes down to it I've got enough stuff to keep me happy forever.

So there you go.
#REs anonymous. #One day at a time. #FuckGAS
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

danc

29 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Apparently I'm known on this forum for my RE/ VST purchasing skills. Although it's been true in the past I think I've found some strategies to kerb this behavior.

1. Try the device. Obvious, but for a long time I just read the description of what the particular device was capable of, looked at the GUI, looked at the price and then bought it without trying. Now...it's trial all the way. I usually know within 5 minutes if I like it and more often than not these days I don't. The latest example...I've been looking to get an Echorec for ages. Pulsar Echorec was on sale for $24 down from something like €110 on jrrshop. I was at work when I saw it and put it in my cart immediately. Then I decided to wait a bit and struggled the whole day until I got home and tried it. Nothing I couldn't do with the REs and VSTs I already have so $24 saved and the craving for more equipment reduced.

2. Go back to refills and REs/ Devices I already have and decide if I really need the extra functionality a dedicated device offers. Arturia V collection point in fact. Didn't need half the devices and had myself covered with three quarters of the remaining.

3. Wait it out. Point in fact...Reason Studios REs. We all know the story there. The main thing here is that I'm a hobbyist...maybe if I was working with music and needed a device there and then for a particular project then I'd but there and then at cost price...but I'm not.

4. Revisit old Res. Just found a use for Directre after it lying dormant for 8 years.

5. Set a spending limit. I've got a general if it costs more than €29 I'll wait it out. In the past I've had no problems with shelling out 100s of Euros but as I said above when it comes down to it I've got enough stuff to keep me happy forever.

So there you go.
#REs anonymous. #One day at a time. #FuckGAS
Maybe it's a bit like those guys that can't hold onto a girlfriend. After a relentless long list of short-term yet costly disasters... we question them... asking why it ended so soon when it looked so promising - and they'll say things like, she looked great, but boy she really was hard work.. or there was always this tension, I couldn't put my finger on it... but it was there. She really didn't make anything easy for me.

Where really the problem is the guy not the girl. Girls (just like VSTs) need quality time and attention to get the most out of them.

Yes - VSTs are just like girls... we treat VSTs like a one night stand - we scramble around, looking for a great preset, to have a bit of fun - a brief moment of slap and tickle. We might even show them off to our friends - whoa, look at her! Where really we should treat them like potential marriage material - putting in the time, attention, love, learn their ways (however weird), give them undivided attention. Do this to get the most out of them.

How dare I say this next bit... but I will... maybe we should even read their manual (the music equivalent to 'men are from mars - woman are from venus'). Be glad... most VSTs come with a manual... girls definitely don't.

It's either that or we create a long list of never speak to again VSTs, just like a long Whatsapp list of one-nighters we will never hear from again.

My advice - don't share your time with lot of VSTs (girls)... pick one and give it all your LOVE - through good times and bad!

(Lecture over - hopefully you'll save some money)
Check my Soundcloud:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2020

Read the manual???!!! Hahahahahaha!!!! Maaaaan!!!!!

If you’re still using the girlfriend analogy it doesn’t matter how many manuals you read. You’ll still never understand how they work :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

29 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Read the manual???!!! Hahahahahaha!!!! Maaaaan!!!!!

If you’re still using the girlfriend analogy it doesn’t matter how many manuals you read. You’ll still never understand how they work :).
Lol, truth. :lol:

• Information