Are you obsessed to be smart?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Heigen5

10 Apr 2020

I am a bit too obsessed about it I think. I think I'm smart, but so are lots of the elses though. I am thinking to do a Finnish mensa-test at some point. Not because I want to look nobody down, but because it would be cool to know what my real IQ is and also that what is the hardness level of the test.

How about you?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2020

Hmmm...letting someone else decide if you’re clever or not based on how clever they think other people are based on criteria they’ve designed because they reckon they’re smart themselves?
Again...hmmmm.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

10 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
10 Apr 2020
Hmmm...letting someone else decide if you’re clever or not based on how clever they think other people are based on criteria they’ve designed because they reckon they’re smart themselves?
Again...hmmmm.
I think the mensa-test can give you a pointer that if your logic is good. But yeah, lots of the people don't need to have a superb logic, to be successful in their lives.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2020

I guess. But...and I’m sure you already know this, gauging you’re own success based on how successful you think other people are in their lives is pretty dangerous ground. I don’t really want to get into a discussion in this because I don’t want to tell anybody else how to think. For me personally in any case I’ve finally achieved contentment with life after a total roller coaster. In short I’ve succeeded in stopping searching and now I’m here.But now I’m starting getting into new age bing-bong hippy stuff with this so I’ll stop.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Apr 2020

I would rather pay for a certificate of being differently-gifted. That's more practical these days.

Heigen5

10 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
10 Apr 2020
I guess. But...and I’m sure you already know this, gauging you’re own success based on how successful you think other people are in their lives is pretty dangerous ground. I don’t really want to get into a discussion in this because I don’t want to tell anybody else how to think. For me personally in any case I’ve finally achieved contentment with life after a total roller coaster. In short I’ve succeeded in stopping searching and now I’m here.But now I’m starting getting into new age bing-bong hippy stuff with this so I’ll stop.
Yup, everyone is dabbling their journey in their own way really, which is a lot more wiser way to go. Intuition is the bestest lead I think.

Heigen5

10 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
10 Apr 2020
I would rather pay for a certificate of being differently-gifted. That's more practical these days.
You mean like Trump did? :mrgreen:

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Apr 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
10 Apr 2020
orthodox wrote:
10 Apr 2020
You mean like Trump did? :mrgreen:
Not that kind of gift, but you get the idea.

Yonatan

10 Apr 2020

Mensa seems mostly to be a social club, and as such it can help some to get friends or connections they otherwise would miss.
Some with slightly higher logic than average, might get misunderstood in school or in social
life etc, so there might be need of recognition.
But when social clubs become too much defining ones indentity or self worth, or foster a separatedness or arrogance, it can be destructive.

adfielding

10 Apr 2020

I've come to terms with the fact that I'm generally a bit of an idiot :)

WarStar

10 Apr 2020

What's more interesting to me is the various personality assessment tests that are out there.. my father made me take several many years ago to maybe help me figure out what I might like to do as a career because they kinda tell you where your personality is most geared toward. But they can be very helpful for anyone really because I've always believed its more important to "know they self".. but I've taken a iq test during that time too.. ehhh.. I mean they're useful but as a metric to compare yourself it's not really all that helpful.. I chose not to share my score. I have a couple times with mixed results lol

fullforce

15 Apr 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
10 Apr 2020
I am a bit too obsessed about it I think. I think I'm smart, but so are lots of the elses though. I am thinking to do a Finnish mensa-test at some point. Not because I want to look nobody down, but because it would be cool to know what my real IQ is and also that what is the hardness level of the test.

How about you?
Why are you thinking about taking that test? Why don't you just do it? Or are you afraid you're going to be disappointed in your own "score"?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

BRIGGS

15 Apr 2020

Smarts are nothing without wisdom.
r11s

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Apr 2020

"For it is written: I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the intelligence of the intelligent I will reject." (1Cor,1:19)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2020

“Our aim is wakefulness. Our enemy is dreamless sleep. “ (Old TOPY saying).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

16 Apr 2020

adfielding wrote:
10 Apr 2020
I've come to terms with the fact that I'm generally a bit of an idiot :)
Same.
Frees up loads of energy I once wasted wondering if I got 'it', if I'm right, if others are this or that.
I just assume I'm probably the jack ass and busy myself cultivating a complete disinterest in what everyone else is up to while trying not to actually hurt anyone.
I still like to shoot my mouth off just for fun but at any moment I'm pretty happy to drop it or flip and admit or just assume I didn't really know what I was talking about.

Edit: Actually, it's not really disinterest. More a lack of concern.
Last edited by plaamook on 16 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

16 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
16 Apr 2020
And yet deep dreamless sleep is generally how we define a 'good' nights sleep.

Or here.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2020

plaamook wrote:
16 Apr 2020
MrFigg wrote:
16 Apr 2020
Peel the onion man :).
Interpret how you want of course.

Incidentally...If you don’t have REM stages during sleep over an extended period then you will start to hallucinate while you’re awake.
Just because you don’t remember it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Oquasec

17 Apr 2020

Nope. If it entertains me a lot ima learn it.
There's no reason to waste your time.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

plaamook

17 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
16 Apr 2020
plaamook wrote:
16 Apr 2020

Incidentally...If you don’t have REM stages during sleep over an extended period then you will start to hallucinate while you’re awake.
Well that's just it, there seems to be a lot ore going on off linewhen you're out of it. So to speak. And it may not be just during REM sleep.
Right now I assume you're reading words on a screen and blocking out loads of other sensory data which is being filtered by a 'subconscious' mechanism for anything that might be happening of significance that you might need ot stop reading screen words over and address. Like a noise in another room or whatever. Wacky stuff. But it makes me wonder what it means to be obsessed with Smarts once you change the resolution of the question. I might be having all sorts of genius ideas but not realise it because my filter's buggered.

Or here.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2020

plaamook wrote:
17 Apr 2020
MrFigg wrote:
16 Apr 2020

Well that's just it, there seems to be a lot ore going on off linewhen you're out of it. So to speak. And it may not be just during REM sleep.
Right now I assume you're reading words on a screen and blocking out loads of other sensory data which is being filtered by a 'subconscious' mechanism for anything that might be happening of significance that you might need ot stop reading screen words over and address. Like a noise in another room or whatever. Wacky stuff. But it makes me wonder what it means to be obsessed with Smarts once you change the resolution of the question. I might be having all sorts of genius ideas but not realise it because my filter's buggered.
Totally. But genius by who’s standards?

and just to be clear...we are discussing this just for the discussion right? Because I think we’re both pretty open for new ideas if I know you from previous threads :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

17 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2020

Well, genius by any standards. Pick a definition. I'm more trying to address something like what's going on in parallel.
A person could score very high on an IQ test for example but not be able to apply their big brains very well in practical terms. And there may be a way of unpicking that process or percieved blockage that's not to do with whether they're smart or not. Or for that matter an average brain that's so uncomplicated it's got a very smooth ride through the world.

Or here.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2020

plaamook wrote:
17 Apr 2020
MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2020

Well, genius by any standards. Pick a definition. I'm more trying to address something like what's going on in parallel.
A person could score very high on an IQ test for example but not be able to apply their big brains very well in practical terms. And there may be a way of unpicking that process or percieved blockage that's not to do with whether they're smart or not. Or for that matter an average brain that's so uncomplicated it's got a very smooth ride through the world.
People who don’t think that much at all can have an easy life too. Ignorance is bliss as they say.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2020
OK, the standards are dubious. But I still wonder who is having problems with proper sleep in your picture.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
17 Apr 2020
MrFigg wrote:
17 Apr 2020
OK, the standards are dubious. But I still wonder who is having problems with proper sleep in your picture.
I don’t know either. Did I say anyone was having problems?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information