Has anyone else tried this? Collecting sounds before starting a project.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2020

So I'm embarking on a new project. I've decided it's gonna have some "analogy" type of influences, meaning I'll explore synths like Ivoks, Red70, Viking-1, Legend, perhaps even Complex-1. I'm after sounds that doesn't feel too modern/perfect/sterile/digital etc.

But instead of just diving in and making music like I usually do, I've started going through all the synths patches and saving all patches that has the right "vibe" in a special folder.
This way once I start writing I won't have to scroll through a bunch of patches that I don't even like or will never fit the project.
It'll hopefully lead to a faster and more inspiring writing process as well.
It's a bit of work preparing but I think it'll be worth it.

Has anyone else done this? Preparing/collecting sounds before you start writing?

Loque

07 Apr 2020

Well, yea, somehow. I mostly design sounds and make experiments. Than there is some point reached, i NEED to make a song and collect the stuff together. I make my glorious 8 bar loop, use a lots of the sounds i created in the past (and somehow they fit perfectly), add more and more stuff, than i quickly build a song structure, before i start hating my 8 bar loop because i heard it the 10000th time :-D
Last edited by Loque on 07 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2020

Yeah. Often I get an idea for a song just because I find a great sound while browsing refills. Then it’s a case of funding other stuff which goes with it. Or not :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Spaceship

07 Apr 2020

Yes. I’ve done preproduction for songs by choosing a tempo and scale weeks ahead of time, and creating as many samples and loops that work with those parameters as I could. Once I finally start writing the song it can be very helpful to have these readymade elements to experiment with.

Auryn

07 Apr 2020

Hell yeah, that's more or less how the whole sound design business got started!
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Jackjackdaw

07 Apr 2020

I spend days crafting sounds and days aiming for a composition. On composition days I'm still crafting , trying for the backbone sound, when I have that, I rifle through my pre crafted library for the sounds that will flesh it out. Some of these sounds I will use variations of the same ones in different compositioms as it gives a consistency to the overall sound of my project.

Oquasec

07 Apr 2020

A couple hours practicing.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information