What would you call this genre?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2263
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 26 Feb 2020

So I'm working on a track here. And as usual I'm having a hard time putting my music in a specific genre.
Just curious what would you call this?

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 08 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1800
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 Feb 2020

synthcore, maybe? is that a genre? :lol:

reminds me a little of Dillinger Escape Plan, but with synths.

aeox
Posts: 2645
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 26 Feb 2020

guitfnky wrote:
26 Feb 2020
synthcore, maybe? is that a genre? :lol:
Sure is!

HeresJohnny312
Posts: 45
Joined: 26 Feb 2020

Post 26 Feb 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Feb 2020
So I'm working on a track here. And as usual I'm having a hard time putting my music in a specific genre.
Just curious what would you call this?

This is a short excerpt from the track.

90's Game soundtrack. It has great gaming vibes, techy yet not too modern and complex.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1800
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
26 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
26 Feb 2020
synthcore, maybe? is that a genre? :lol:
Sure is!
I got something right! 😆

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2263
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 27 Feb 2020

guitfnky wrote:
26 Feb 2020
synthcore, maybe? is that a genre? :lol:

reminds me a little of Dillinger Escape Plan, but with synths.
Yeah maybe. I've never really understood what this "core" word actually means.

I did a quick "synthcore" search on youtube and found this. Well if this is synthcore then I don't want to be part of it. That's for sure. 0:42. I mean come on. :lol:

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2263
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 27 Feb 2020

HeresJohnny312 wrote:
26 Feb 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Feb 2020
So I'm working on a track here. And as usual I'm having a hard time putting my music in a specific genre.
Just curious what would you call this?

This is a short excerpt from the track.

90's Game soundtrack. It has great gaming vibes, techy yet not too modern and complex.
I definitely have some 90s game soundtrack influences in a lot of my music. I can't seem to shake those influences off (not that I'm trying to).

Yonatan
Posts: 1099
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 27 Feb 2020

I would call it "Energy drink + Computer Car game"-genre. :exclamation:

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2263
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 27 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
27 Feb 2020
I would call it "Energy drink + Computer Car game"-genre. :exclamation:
I'll go with that. It rolls of the tongue nicely, doesn't it? :lol:

Yonatan
Posts: 1099
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 27 Feb 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Yonatan wrote:
27 Feb 2020
I would call it "Energy drink + Computer Car game"-genre. :exclamation:
I'll go with that. It rolls of the tongue nicely, doesn't it? :lol:
In other words "Speedudelidu" :)

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1800
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 27 Feb 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
26 Feb 2020
synthcore, maybe? is that a genre? :lol:

reminds me a little of Dillinger Escape Plan, but with synths.
Yeah maybe. I've never really understood what this "core" word actually means.

I did a quick "synthcore" search on youtube and found this. Well if this is synthcore then I don't want to be part of it. That's for sure. 0:42. I mean come on. :lol:
I don’t get it either, honestly. I sort of get hardcore music, but that’s about it. after that point, they started appending “core” to everything, and genres started to lose all meaning for me. 😆 your stuff definitely doesn’t sound like that video, so don’t take my guess as anything more than a guess.

I respect Dillinger Escape Plan (and by extension, your tune), but these guys, not so much—those vocals were terrible. 😂

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3274
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 27 Feb 2020

It definitely has a "core" like hard-core of some description vibe to it, what bpm is it, around 160? and it has Megadrive-esq vibes to it and what sounded to me a little dubsteppy element to it. Have you created a new genre?
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 6.05 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2263
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 27 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
27 Feb 2020
It definitely has a "core" like hard-core of some description vibe to it, what bpm is it, around 160? and it has Megadrive-esq vibes to it and what sounded to me a little dubsteppy element to it. Have you created a new genre?
The bpm shifts between 141-149 depending on what part is being played. But it might sound faster since most of the song is based on the "skank beat" (I think that's what it's called). Basically two snares are played for every quarter note duration.

A new genre? I don't know. I'm know there are types of electronic/metal combinations. But from what I've heard they've all had a different vibe/tone to them compared to this.
To be honest I try not to overthink things when I create. Whatever comes naturally when I write I'll go with. Hopefully that translates to not sound gimmicky, like I'm forcefully trying to combine different styles. I don't know if that method worked here, but that's pretty much how i go about things.

User avatar
platzangst
Posts: 593
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 27 Feb 2020

Well, let's see - structurally it sounds very prog-rock-like, but the instrumentation has a kind of dubstep feel with the growly wub-wub bass, so you could maybe call it progstep.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2263
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 27 Feb 2020

platzangst wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Well, let's see - structurally it sounds very prog-rock-like, but the instrumentation has a kind of dubstep feel with the growly wub-wub bass, so you could maybe call it progstep.
"Progstep". Yeah why not?

User avatar
demt
Posts: 1016
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 27 Feb 2020

personally i dont like laybling anything , im not a box to b ticked
currently akai touch mpc. reasonsuite11, android kaosilater .behringer ddm4000 dj mixer
hear scince reason 2.5

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3274
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 27 Feb 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Feb 2020
platzangst wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Well, let's see - structurally it sounds very prog-rock-like, but the instrumentation has a kind of dubstep feel with the growly wub-wub bass, so you could maybe call it progstep.
"Progstep". Yeah why not?
Or "Prockstep"?
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 6.05 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3274
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 27 Feb 2020

demt wrote:
27 Feb 2020
personally i dont like laybling anything , im not a box to b ticked
Well if you're making electronic music for yourself then fair enough.

If you want to be successful then you need dj's to play your tracks in clubs to get traction. If your music has no definable genre, which DJ and on what night would it be played?
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 6.05 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
demt
Posts: 1016
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 02 Mar 2020

my m,ates a dj
currently akai touch mpc. reasonsuite11, android kaosilater .behringer ddm4000 dj mixer
hear scince reason 2.5

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 651
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 05 Mar 2020

Wow. I would say that has a lot of 'metal' elements, while not using instruments associated with metal. It's got a nice intensity as the composition unfolds.

Oh here's a thought. It's a little Rammstein. In fact, some 'real' chugging guitars in your song would add to the richness of the insane journey. But even without them, the track of yours is already solid. I have been enjoying a lot of your music on Soundcloud, and this is a great addition to the catalog

So what is the genre ? Who F**ing knows !

Let's call it 'Cyber-Grind-Core'

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2263
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 08 Mar 2020

Proboscis wrote:
05 Mar 2020
Wow. I would say that has a lot of 'metal' elements, while not using instruments associated with metal. It's got a nice intensity as the composition unfolds.

Oh here's a thought. It's a little Rammstein. In fact, some 'real' chugging guitars in your song would add to the richness of the insane journey. But even without them, the track of yours is already solid. I have been enjoying a lot of your music on Soundcloud, and this is a great addition to the catalog

So what is the genre ? Who F**ing knows !

Let's call it 'Cyber-Grind-Core'
Thanks. Cyber-Grind-Core sounds appropriate :)

Just finished the tune btw, updated the Soundcloud link. There might be some minor changes later on though since it's part of my 90 Day Music Challenge and there's plenty of time left before the deadline.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 651
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 08 Mar 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Mar 2020
Just finished the tune btw, updated the Soundcloud link. There might be some minor changes later on though since it's part of my 90 Day Music Challenge and there's plenty of time left before the deadline.
I just returned home, and hadn't realized I'd left an album playing on a loop, with my monitors off and my interface volume down. It shocked me a little that I hit play and turned the volume up to discover your song now sounds like Greta Van Fleet :lol:

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 651
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 08 Mar 2020

This song is so brilliant. I'm getting a Baby-Metal-Meets-Electronica vibe.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2263
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 14 Mar 2020

Proboscis wrote:
08 Mar 2020
This song is so brilliant. I'm getting a Baby-Metal-Meets-Electronica vibe.
Thanks. Yeah I can see that, except for the vocals of course :)

Say what you want about Babymetal, but imo they do have a couple of really good songs.
This is one of them. It's one of their less famous songs.


User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 651
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 17 Mar 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Mar 2020
Proboscis wrote:
08 Mar 2020
This song is so brilliant. I'm getting a Baby-Metal-Meets-Electronica vibe.
Thanks. Yeah I can see that, except for the vocals of course :)

Say what you want about Babymetal, but imo they do have a couple of really good songs.
This is one of them. It's one of their less famous songs.

Oh I agree. Although it's absolutely gimmicky, with high energy and very heavy metal, and three young Japanese girls singing, that's precisely what makes Babymetal great. It might be one of the last decades' greatest Metal band innovators.

On a slight tangent, since Sabbath have been mentioned in this thread a few times.... I would love to hear a TritoneAddiction electronic version of any number of back catalog Black Sabbath musical journeys.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests