Neil Young says that the MacBook Pro has “Fisher-Price” audio quality and calls it “a piece of crap”

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 1132
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 05 Feb 2020

EnochLight wrote:
30 Jan 2020

[*]Large album artwork and liner notes
Yeah. Or even small album artwork and liner notes.
I was thinking of selling CD sized album art/ liner notes that would arrive in the post with a DL code just because, aside from missing other people's art etc, I like making the actual physical object.
That said, I've been pretty irritated at how the last two albums turned out but that's label bosses getting there say for you.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 1132
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 05 Feb 2020

I'm prepared to beleive the current MBP's are crap actually. I'm sure the audio is fine but the rest of it... I don't own one (for a reason) so I can't say definitively but I'd be interested to hear the opinion of those that a)have one and b)had the older models.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8466
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods

Post 05 Feb 2020

plaamook wrote:
05 Feb 2020
I'm prepared to beleive the current MBP's are crap actually. I'm sure the audio is fine but the rest of it... I don't own one (for a reason) so I can't say definitively but I'd be interested to hear the opinion of those that a)have one and b)had the older models.
I'm totally happy with mine, feels as well built as any I've had or seen in the past.
In what way do you feel they are "crap"?
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 1132
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 05 Feb 2020

selig wrote:
05 Feb 2020
plaamook wrote:
05 Feb 2020
I'm prepared to beleive the current MBP's are crap actually. I'm sure the audio is fine but the rest of it... I don't own one (for a reason) so I can't say definitively but I'd be interested to hear the opinion of those that a)have one and b)had the older models.
I'm totally happy with mine, feels as well built as any I've had or seen in the past.
In what way do you feel they are "crap"?
Like I said, I don't own one. I don't feel they're crap. I'm prepared for disappointment in the future.
When I tested them, I thought the keyboards felt cheap and thin on the new ones.
And i'd miss the magsafe adaptor.

But more importantly...
I've got a late 2012 13" 2.9Ghz i7 non-retina MBP. I paid like £850 for it new with a 500Gb HHD and 4 or 8GB RAM. I took it home, flipped it over, chucked 16GB RAM into it (it was oly spec'd for 8 max by Apple) and a 2TB HHD. I'm now on a 2TB SSD, which apple wont even put into a 13" no matter what you pay them (last time I checked).
All in it cost me about £1200 in (I think) 2015 plus whatever I paid for the SSD in 2018. I've got USB ports(2 and 3), an SD card slot, firewire, thunderbolt, and an optical drive. I still use all that stuff.
Something like the equivelant computer now would cost me prob over £3k if I want all the adaptors and optical drive. And I'd only get a 1TB drive in it.
As far as I can tell, I'm only missing USB C (which would be useless except for plugging in all the adaptors I'd need) and the larger track pad (which looks sexy). And they finally got rid of the glowing Apple!

The new Mac Pro seems like a step in the right direction with all the modular innards, but the MBP's are still pretty locked and I don't really like that. It means we have to pay way WAY too much up front for a loaded rig and it's not really that loaded. So I'm waiting for a revolution in design a la Mac Pro if I can.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 1132
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 05 Feb 2020

That's not a dig at anyone who owns one by the way. If I needed to buy a new comp I'd probably get one if I had the money.
I just don't think you're getting what you used to out of a professional product from them lot these days.

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 250
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 07 Mar 2020

I don't see how Neil didn't get his point across to some of the people here.

“You can’t get anything out of [the MacBook Pro],” he argues. “The only way you can get it out is if you put it in. And if you put it in, you can’t get it out because the DAC is no good in the MacBook Pro. So you have to use an external DAC and do a bunch of stuff to make up for the problems that the MacBook Pro has because they’re not aimed at quality. They’re aimed at consumerism.”


What is wrong with what he said? Why doesn't a laptop that easily costs $3000+ and has "PRO" stamped on it have a usable DAC out of the box, which would even be needed by a "beginner"? Too much to ask?

The man is a living legend. Whatever you think of yourself, until you made it to number one in the world a few times, at least give his opinion some consideration.

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 804
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 08 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
07 Mar 2020


What is wrong with what he said? Why doesn't a laptop that easily costs $3000+ and has "PRO" stamped on it have a usable DAC out of the box, which would even be needed by a "beginner"? Too much to ask?

=
For 3000$ I would pretend it had minimum something like an Antelope Zen incorporated...
Keeping working with my 100$ Lenovo...

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6172
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 08 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
07 Mar 2020
The man is a living legend. Whatever you think of yourself, until you made it to number one in the world a few times, at least give his opinion some consideration.
I did give his opinion consideration. I don't need a number one hit to realize that he's an old geezer* that is out of touch with reality.

* I am also an old geezer. :D
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 749
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 09 Mar 2020

EnochLight wrote:
08 Mar 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
07 Mar 2020
The man is a living legend. Whatever you think of yourself, until you made it to number one in the world a few times, at least give his opinion some consideration.
I did give his opinion consideration. I don't need a number one hit to realize that he's an old geezer* that is out of touch with reality.

* I am also an old geezer. :D
"Living Legend" is a fairly personal statement, rather than music lore. There were some great moments...I grew up listening to 'Harvest', and loved it to death, along with that 'Rust Never Sleeps' release... but 'legend' seems a bit rich for Neil Young.

He's just an old geezer who cries about music in a 'back in my day we never clipped' manner, like a lot of old people who get stuck in the past. His failed 'pono' project is a testament to the lack of faith the genral public had in uptaking the 'technology'

And by technology I mean an Amazon Alexa type speaker with a player that reads FLAC or a similar lossless digital format. As far as I know he was selling the idea to the industry that would have required 'classic albums' to be remastered.

Not surprisingly, that flopped. But not before he begged Donald Trump for 'Pono' funding.


>
don_neil.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest