What`s the best way to protect your songs (copyrighted)?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
webpro

22 Jan 2020

I'm Canadian and i'm looking at copyright.gov right now.

raymondh

22 Jan 2020

webpro wrote:
22 Jan 2020

In essence: Publish them.

Before the Internet, a good approach was to record your music (onto cassette :) ) and then put in sealed registered post and send it to yourself. Of course when you received it, you wouldn't open it :)

These days, create a digital footprint, that clearly associates the track with you.
Create a twitter account, facebook account and other social media accounts with your band name.
In those accounts "about" sections etc, list your real name and association with the band name.
When you upload your tracks (to whereever), in the details put the details - who composed it, produced it, date of release etc.

You may wish to ensure your band name is unique and all that other stuff too.

All of that provides the evidence that you must have to prove the work originated with you.

That's all easy.
Now, enforcing your copyright and defining what constitutes a breach of your copyright? -- good luck with that!!

webpro

23 Jan 2020

I'm probably over thinking (should say paranoid hahahaha) but better be safe than sorry!
Heck imagine that one of my baby goes viral and some jackass claims it's his song!
Or someone steels it and it becomes a super hit!
I will follow your guide that's for sure and look for the copyright.gov thingo also.
Thanks

BRIGGS

23 Jan 2020

The 100% most reliable way, is to never release your music.
r11s

Biolumin3sc3nt

23 Jan 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
23 Jan 2020
LOL, I've been in that Club for a bit too long now

BRIGGS

23 Jan 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
23 Jan 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
23 Jan 2020
LOL, I've been in that Club for a bit too long now
You, too? :lol:
r11s

xboix

24 Jan 2020

raymondh wrote:
22 Jan 2020
webpro wrote:
22 Jan 2020

In essence: Publish them.

Before the Internet, a good approach was to record your music (onto cassette :) ) and then put in sealed registered post and send it to yourself. Of course when you received it, you wouldn't open it :)

These days, create a digital footprint, that clearly associates the track with you.
Create a twitter account, facebook account and other social media accounts with your band name.
In those accounts "about" sections etc, list your real name and association with the band name.
When you upload your tracks (to whereever), in the details put the details - who composed it, produced it, date of release etc.

You may wish to ensure your band name is unique and all that other stuff too.

All of that provides the evidence that you must have to prove the work originated with you.

That's all easy.
Now, enforcing your copyright and defining what constitutes a breach of your copyright? -- good luck with that!!
The "mail yourself" thing never really worked but it was certainly widespread advice at the time. The problem was that you could have mailed yourself an unsealed envelope and sealed it up at any point years later.

QVprod

24 Jan 2020

webpro wrote:
22 Jan 2020

copyright.gov is the US copyright office. If you're in Canada you may want to seek the Canadian alternative. That aside, registering a copyright is the only thing that "protects" your songs which just means giving you a legal standing to sue if someone steals.

• Information