Song vs Instrumental

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

Is Your Music

Always with Vocals
4%
Mostly with Vocals
19%
Always Instrumental
15%
Mostly Instrumental
58%
More or less 50/50 Vocals & Instrumental
4%

Total votes: 26
Proboscis

25 Dec 2019

I'm interested to hear whether, when you use Reason (not other DAW), do you created instrumental music mostly, or do you create tracks with vocals?

And are the tools in Reason sufficient enough for whatever it is you need to do with vocals, in the stock rack, plus Rack Extensions ?

What are these tools that you use ?

I've rarely included vocals in my music since Reason made it possible with audio recording, and when I have, it's only the occasional sample, rather than a lyric set specifically written around the music (or visa versa). There's obviously nothing stopping this from happening with Reason, but can a high quality outcome be achieved, or do you go to another DAW, or to VST to finish it off ? I guess with the advent of VST that changes a lot.

rgdaniel

25 Dec 2019

If you'd ever heard me sing, you wouldn't ask that question... :lol:
I do mostly instrumentals, with periodic vocal samples sprinkled in for decoration or comic effect.

gullum

25 Dec 2019

Now I do mostly Instrumentals because I'm not good at singing, years ago I did make Death Metal and I have the perfect voice for that.
Reason is capable for vocals too with its stock devices, If you need expensive plugins to get the vocals to sound good you need another vocalist to sing

Proboscis

25 Dec 2019

I'm also no singer. People often ask my 'why are there no words' and in my mind my response is to tell them to f&# off. I have never had the desire, but recently been toying with the idea to write something and have someone else sing. It would certainly fill out the tracks a lot more, wheres now I can;t help but try and make every bar so complicated in order to have a journey happening. It results in me never finishing a track.

Soft Enerji

25 Dec 2019

These days I mostly go with vocals. As far as using Reason or another DAW goes it depends on my mood. Sometimes I work solely in Reason then others I'll use Cakewalk.

guitfnky

25 Dec 2019

I’m far from a great singer, but most of my tracks include vocals. there’s only one way to get better, and wanting to see my music fully fleshed out (as I envision in my head) gives me the motivation to record myself, and thus to improve.

the tools are definitely there to get high quality results. the pitch editor is a lifesaver, and is surprisingly really useful for identifying your own weaknesses as a singer. I’ve got a long way to go, but I’d wager I’ve improved significantly as a result.

don’t be afraid. you don’t have to release every song you sing on, but you’ll never get better if you don’t try, and I think it’s worth it to try.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Oquasec

25 Dec 2019

Since I'm good at both I do both
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Proboscis

26 Dec 2019

Big thanks to the moderators for moving this thread to the forum graveyard :roll:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2019

Very rarely do I make songs based on vocals, but it does happen. Almost always instrumental music for me.

miyaru

26 Dec 2019

I'm re-entering Reason since 2 month now, but I think it is easier to do vocals than in Ableton Live. I have only done some testing so far, but I think Reason 11 is chill for it.......

Also bought Selig DeEsser to do some tricks on the forthcoming vocal sessions. Ableton is nice for creating ideas, but I feel Reason is more to create and finish stuff.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2019

miyaru wrote:
26 Dec 2019
I'm re-entering Reason since 2 month now, but I think it is easier to do vocals than in Ableton Live. I have only done some testing so far, but I think Reason 11 is chill for it.......

Also bought Selig DeEsser to do some tricks on the forthcoming vocal sessions. Ableton is nice for creating ideas, but I feel Reason is more to create and finish stuff.
Selig’s Curve is one of the best thing I ever bought to use in vocals if you don’t already have it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

demt

26 Dec 2019

i must remember im great at vocals bleedin bi polar forgetfullness is a bit all incompassing hence plenty of distortion and mucking around with effects n equalizers ps the title of this thread its to black n white
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

motuscott

26 Dec 2019

I'll throw lead vocals over any of my messes. I ain't scared of no man.
Harmony vocals, well that would require skill wouldn't it?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

ShelLuser

26 Dec 2019

I can't honestly fill out the poll so I didn't. But since you started on vocals... (this is on you OP :mrgreen:!).

Before Reason 10 I didn't do much with vocals, I always admired their power potential but... I can't sing. My gf doesn't want to come near any of my mics so it's instrumental ("synthesis") only. Or was.. Then Reason 10 came along with Humana and oh my god.. do I love that instrument. YES, it sounds artificial (nothing an EQ and a good mix can't fix) but boy can it deliver some interesting stuff... (favorite counterpart: the Chenille BBD Chorus ensemble from Jiggery Pokery).

I know you mentioned Reason only, sorry, but this is bigger than me... And the Props opened this door anyway...

See, I am seriously excited about Humana, it's easily one of my favorite "back sound" instruments by far. And then I discovered / realized it wasn't even made by the Props but SoundIron. I realized as much when Native Instruments gave a 80% discount on SoundIron packages, including... oh yes: a vocal sound collection for around E 180,- :shock:

I still love Humana for what it is and can do, but oh my keypads..... this N.I. / SoundIron collection blows it out of the water, if not completely obliterating it.

I am using a lot more (artificial) vocals in some of work as of late, but it's not coming from Reason but Kontakt, powered by IronSound. Yet I have Reason to thank for it courtesy of Humana....

IMO Reason was way ahead of its time. Not in all fronts, but .. they did a lot of stuff right. But now it feels like they're simply catching up a bit here and there. I dunno...
--- :reason:

Proboscis

26 Dec 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
26 Dec 2019
See, I am seriously excited about Humana, it's easily one of my favorite "back sound" instruments by far. And then I discovered / realized it wasn't even made by the Props but SoundIron.
As excited I was when they announced the SoundIron trio in the lead up to the Reason 10 (I think) upgrade, to fill out an ageing factory soundbank, I just can't work with any of them, as much as I try. I've spent so much time particularly with Pangea, but the results have always be to seek sounds elsewhere. Humana for me has been used only very low into the mix to add some body to a phrase, but it's barely noticable to another listener.

Has anyone considered Fiverr to find a singer ? For the most part I have no desire to sing, and heaven help anyone listening if I did. But the past few days I have been playing around with a few vocal melody phrases in my head and a skeleton of some lyrics. It would certainly be easier to complete a track, without trying to fill every bar with something awesome, and would give more power to the leads and melodic instrumentation if they are not required throughout the whole track. I may just go to Fiverr and see what happens, although I have had mixed responses in the past. One example is that I asked for a guy to play some saxophone in place of a lead I had written, and he returned the job with a flute recording. It was a great flute recording, and I didn't dispute the fee, but still....then there was the other guy who listed a gig for $50 (piano) then came back and said he charges $400 for 32 bars and proceeded to berate me for not recognizing his incredible talent when I queried what he was actually offering for $50 that he listed as his price. That moron was taken off the platform soon thereafter.

Anyway I might start looking through some Fiverr gig offers from vocalists and see what comes of it.

• Information