Downsized and happier.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
miyaru
Posts: 67
Joined: 28 Oct 2019
Location: Zaanstad, The Netherlands

Post 25 Dec 2019

Yeh, use to have a setup containing Yamaha 01v, Fostex D108, Yamaha RM1x and a Korg N1 doing all I wanted....... good ole days..... LOL
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Reason Suite 11, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 258
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 26 Dec 2019

I think this s a very relatable observation. It's rather ironic for me that, in the mid 80's, having MIDI multitrack was like, wow, but then I kept wanting more capability. And over the years, I eventually got most thing I wanted, i.e. more sounds, more synths, more F/X, digital recording for real-world guitar (first SMPTE-striped 4 track, leaving 3 remaining tracks; later, 2 track digital with sync, and finally integrated multitrack digital with Record then Reason; but wait, give me more synth, more F/X, more sounds, more samples! Then 40 years later... what? Too many synth choices, too many patch choices, too many samples, too many Refills, too many F/X. too many choices? Really, that's my problem?? How ironic and hilarious to boot! But after a little hiatus, I'm grasping my tools again and starting to calm down, happy for all that is available. I think in some sense songwriting gets confused with actually sounds when in reality it could all be a Casio CZ-101 used to write all the parts, and only then change the sounds with some cool stuff in the collection. But I also get inspired by cool sounds in the collection and that is often when the inspiration for a complete song comes from! Catch 22. Anyway, I actually had to walk away from music making for awhile to come back and enjoy the creative possible without letting all the choices overwhelm. No doubt this happens to the best of us at some point.
:PUF_balance: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2144
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 26 Dec 2019

Even though I wouldn't return to the old stock devices myself, I agree that the concept of limiting the amount of REs/synths/FX can be very useful. I've done this many times. Sometimes it's just too much stuff to choose from.

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1588
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 26 Dec 2019

I think maybe someone already mentioned this?
I now make good use of user folders.
I have a 'Mix' folder that i keep all my staple mix tools in. Trackspacer, Smartcomp, Selig tools, etc etc.
As I find a device useful and think I'd like to use it again I add it to a folder.
My other folders are, Compressors, Creative Effects, Sequencers, Drum Instruments and Mastering FX. But no doubt I'll add more and split out EQs etc from my Mix folder as it gets too big.
Glory Days - Synth/Electro Pop - 132bpm, Dm, 3 min : see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7515755

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3504
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 26 Dec 2019

Zac wrote:
26 Dec 2019
I think maybe someone already mentioned this?
I now make good use of user folders.
I have a 'Mix' folder that i keep all my staple mix tools in. Trackspacer, Smartcomp, Selig tools, etc etc.
As I find a device useful and think I'd like to use it again I add it to a folder.
My other folders are, Compressors, Creative Effects, Sequencers, Drum Instruments and Mastering FX. But no doubt I'll add more and split out EQs etc from my Mix folder as it gets too big.
Yep. Did the same Zac. Synths, Keys, Drums, Chorus etc.
丰2ॐ


User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3504
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 26 Dec 2019

joeyluck wrote:
26 Dec 2019
Maybe you would be into this idea?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7511996
Thanks Joey. Interesting. But I don’t need random instruments and stuff. That’s the beauty. I know exactly what I need to make the music I want at the moment :). Everything carefully selected. As I think I said previously, the devices I’ve got to hand are pretty much what I would have wanted in a studio if I’d I only had hardware. Juno 60 and a couple of other analogue synths, some old drum machines, Rhodes, a piano and a few pedals. That together with my guitar, bass and a few few amp emulators and I’m happier than a bag of cats :).
丰2ॐ

User avatar
Namyo85
Posts: 228
Joined: 11 Mar 2017

Post 26 Dec 2019

Thanks for the motivational replies above, perhaps I will produce an album in 2020 after all. :cool:

User avatar
ShelLuser
Posts: 260
Joined: 25 Aug 2019

Post 26 Dec 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 Dec 2019
Today I realised where my frustration was stemming from so...I removed all my REs and VSTs from Reason. I kept a famous 80s synth, a bassline synth and a Linndrum. I've got a basic delay, a reverb and a chorus in the Effects section. I've also got my guitars and my bass. And that's it. It's so fucking calm and peaceful now when I open Reason that I'm thinking I may even try using a more cut down DAW.
Most often, not always, "Less = more".

I can relate to this story, but apologies up front: it's not Reason related.

I'm a Live user first and foremost, which is why I grabbed a Push controller, and that sparked a helluvalot of creativity with me. Even within Reason (this is honestly not a save to keep things ontopic, playing the Push pad as midi controller in Reason is something else...). And then Reason 11 happened and I didn't see a future for Reason as my to-go-to Live supplement so I kinda hopped onto the Native Instruments bandwagon.

Long story cut shorter: I now also have a Maschine controller. Here's the key: Push has 64 pads which I can use in specific scales (= leaving out unneeded semi-tones). Maschine can do the exact same thing, but of course it only has 4x4 pads, equals 16 pads. One Maschine is one quadrant of my Push.

Seriously... I feel much more creative when playing on the Maschine than I do on my Push. It's "only" one octave at most but the limitation forces you to think and cope. Which for me results in much more interesting material.

Less can often result in more, it's true...
--- :reason:
Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3504
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 27 Dec 2019

Side effect No. 2. I made a list of all the REs I have bought since their introduction and then put a check beside the ones which I feel I’m actually going to use. It’s worth remarking that the majority are effects which go particularly well on guitar. That is to say Kuassa, Jiggery-Pokery, Synapse and a few more specialized effects such as Polar and Fritz. Admittedly a lot of the synths were obtained through Rigs but at the moment the only RE synth I have in my rack is Oberon. Antidote will probably slip in there at some point.
The rest of my devices are VSTs and would fall under the category “vintage”.
This leaves a lot, and I mean a looooot, of REs which I’ve bought thinking “this is cool” or “this could come in handy”. Who knows. Maybe they will as I grow older (I’m not going to grow younger in any case unless you rule out dementia).
I’m thinking that it is a shame that stuff isn’t transferable ( don’t want to get into that debate again though. ). If I could then I’d donate a lot of them to charity.
So anyway...just wanted to share some further reflections now that I’m a few days in to the downsizing. :)
丰2ॐ

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1588
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 28 Dec 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Dec 2019
Side effect No. 2. I made a list of all the REs I have bought since their introduction and then put a check beside the ones which I feel I’m actually going to use. It’s worth remarking that the majority are effects which go particularly well on guitar. That is to say Kuassa, Jiggery-Pokery, Synapse and a few more specialized effects such as Polar and Fritz. Admittedly a lot of the synths were obtained through Rigs but at the moment the only RE synth I have in my rack is Oberon. Antidote will probably slip in there at some point.
The rest of my devices are VSTs and would fall under the category “vintage”.
This leaves a lot, and I mean a looooot, of REs which I’ve bought thinking “this is cool” or “this could come in handy”. Who knows. Maybe they will as I grow older (I’m not going to grow younger in any case unless you rule out dementia).
I’m thinking that it is a shame that stuff isn’t transferable ( don’t want to get into that debate again though. ). If I could then I’d donate a lot of them to charity.
So anyway...just wanted to share some further reflections now that I’m a few days in to the downsizing. :)
I do remember at several times over the last year or so thinking that you were going over the top with your RE spending and that you might get some buyers remorse. But it's done now and you're moving on so that's good. I have collected too many REs as well and also have some remorse but Ive moved on too.

I might talk to someone I know about challenging their non transfer policy. I really don't think it will stand if challenged. Also the fact that duplicate REs are not attributed to my account. That will trip them up one day too I think.
Glory Days - Synth/Electro Pop - 132bpm, Dm, 3 min : see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7515755

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 646
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 28 Dec 2019

I am down to 39 RE's on my computer now 15 of them are Kuassa 5 are Drum RE's
I'm trying to get more RE's out of my songs. I have way to many RE's I maybe should not have bought, but I don't regret buying them

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 148
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 29 Dec 2019

Proboscis wrote:
25 Dec 2019
dannyF wrote:
25 Dec 2019

Yah I hear that. Just the other day that happened to me. When I returned to it everything seemed off key and dissonant. Maybe that's just the nature of analog too depending on tempurature and humidity. IF so, that's pretty cool as well.
Yea that must be it. The analogue emulators in the Reason rack are drifting. Talk about authentic !

Actually I trialed some terrible Rack Extension ages ago, I think it was a Red Rock product, and I swear it was drifting.

Maybe I should just lay off the drugs.
Nahhhhhhh. don't be a loser. ;) Drugs are good now, this isn't the 80's

User avatar
demt
Posts: 949
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 29 Dec 2019

erm i thought hardware would slow me down well it has ive actually stuck to the same synths for over a year as long as ive had them even back in reason however im struggling with i lock but ive learned a lot and im taking it back to reason
neutron; tb3; triggerfingerpro;3korg volca keys fm drums; kaos pad 3;zaquencer; akai mpk mini;2 zmx mixers; midiplus interface;16 channel behringer umc 1820 with ada8200 soundcard, arturia drumbrute.nektar p1,
hear scince reason 2.5

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8275
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2019

I have a slightly different view, and it's about focus (or the lack thereof).

When I sit at a piano, every possible melody and chord change that's ever been written, or ever will be written, is right there in front of me. With so many possibilities in front of me, I could be overwhelmed. And yet, I never am. I just sit and play what comes to me, focusing on the path that is directly in front of me instead of all possible paths I could take.

Same for my gear - I have many many REs, Komplete, and almost all of Arturia's synths. I also have a decent Eurorack setup, MiniBrute, and Peak. Yet I never feel overwhelmed. I just pick a synth and get to work making music.

I few years ago I got the chance to contribute patches to the FSB. Starting with Subtractor, I dove in deep and learned new things from these "old" synths. Again, I wasn't overwhelmed to think of all the millions of possible sounds Subtractor could make, I just sat down and started making sounds. Then I moved to Malstrom, and repeated the process. Again, I focus on what is in front of me rather than being distracted by what's in my periphery vision.

If you don't know much about an old synth, it's not the fault of the new synths!

I would thus suggest it's entirely possible to make music without blaming the lack OR the abundance of tools. Either way, I'd be blaming the tools for a problem that lies strictly with ME! If I cannot focus on my goal without being distracted by the infinite other possibilities, I would never make ANY music (or anything creative for that matter).

I feel it's about self control, the ability to sit and focus on the goal, and use the tools that best get you to your goal. Lack of creativity is not to be blamed on too few OR too many possibilities - you can never really get rid of all possibilities…

Thus I say: Learn to focus - it's how one creates. If you need to physically remove distractions, that's fine, but know you don't REALLY need to remove them - you just need to learn to ignore them. And focus. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
orthodox
Posts: 918
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2019

selig wrote:
29 Dec 2019
you don't REALLY need to remove them - you just need to learn to ignore them. And focus. :)
:thumbs_up:
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise. -- L.Carroll

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3504
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 29 Dec 2019

selig wrote:
29 Dec 2019
I have a slightly different view, and it's about focus (or the lack thereof).

When I sit at a piano, every possible melody and chord change that's ever been written, or ever will be written, is right there in front of me. With so many possibilities in front of me, I could be overwhelmed. And yet, I never am. I just sit and play what comes to me, focusing on the path that is directly in front of me instead of all possible paths I could take.

Same for my gear - I have many many REs, Komplete, and almost all of Arturia's synths. I also have a decent Eurorack setup, MiniBrute, and Peak. Yet I never feel overwhelmed. I just pick a synth and get to work making music.

I few years ago I got the chance to contribute patches to the FSB. Starting with Subtractor, I dove in deep and learned new things from these "old" synths. Again, I wasn't overwhelmed to think of all the millions of possible sounds Subtractor could make, I just sat down and started making sounds. Then I moved to Malstrom, and repeated the process. Again, I focus on what is in front of me rather than being distracted by what's in my periphery vision.

If you don't know much about an old synth, it's not the fault of the new synths!

I would thus suggest it's entirely possible to make music without blaming the lack OR the abundance of tools. Either way, I'd be blaming the tools for a problem that lies strictly with ME! If I cannot focus on my goal without being distracted by the infinite other possibilities, I would never make ANY music (or anything creative for that matter).

I feel it's about self control, the ability to sit and focus on the goal, and use the tools that best get you to your goal. Lack of creativity is not to be blamed on too few OR too many possibilities - you can never really get rid of all possibilities…

Thus I say: Learn to focus - it's how one creates. If you need to physically remove distractions, that's fine, but know you don't REALLY need to remove them - you just need to learn to ignore them. And focus. :)
Totally man...this post was never really about having the focus to make music. It was about sorting out the instruments I personally wanted to use to make the music I want to make at the moment. I can absolutely make tunes and sit and play until my heart is content most often on guitar. What I noticed though is that my collection of stuff is very cluttered with things I bought just because I thought "woooah!!! Cool!!! :) " and I don't really know how to use. Most noteably cv stuff. A very probable difference between you and me is that you (may) know how all your stuff works. There's no getting away from the fact that you can all this :). I'll just take it easy and revisit stuff as and when it becomes apparent that it's a tool I can use...then I'll take the time to read the book to see how to use it.
I haven't really removed the distractions...again, they're still there on my Props account. I've just decluttered my studio and tidied it up a bit. I can always get the stuff out of the drawers and cupboards as the whim takes me. I just don't need to have it lying around on the floor blocking my view of the other gear. Since I wrote this post I've actually redownloaded a few good ones and am getting good use out of them :).
The previous low musical output was more as a result of having so many cool devices that I could sit for hours just plinky plonking away having a great old time making mental noises. :) The downsizing has just been a way of getting some order to things.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
Reasonable man
Posts: 463
Joined: 14 Jul 2016

Post 30 Dec 2019

Title reminded me of this


User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3504
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 30 Dec 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
30 Dec 2019
Title reminded me of this

Oink!!! 🐷
丰2ॐ

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8275
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Dec 2019

MrFigg wrote:
29 Dec 2019
The previous low musical output was more as a result of having so many cool devices that I could sit for hours just plinky plonking away having a great old time making mental noises. :) The downsizing has just been a way of getting some order to things.
I think that's still a totally valid use of time. You have to get to know your tools, bond with them. I still sometimes sit at a piano and just "plinky plonking" away the hours (and I've been doing that for over 50 years now!). It's therapeutic for me, healing even. I do the same with my hardware synths and Eurorack. I feel time spend "bonding" with the instruments is just as valuable as time spent finishing a song. It still counts as "progress" in my art for me.

The thing I have to watch out for is when I no longer have joy from just sitting and doing the plinky plonking thing. That would be a sad day indeed!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3504
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 30 Dec 2019

selig wrote:
30 Dec 2019
MrFigg wrote:
29 Dec 2019
The previous low musical output was more as a result of having so many cool devices that I could sit for hours just plinky plonking away having a great old time making mental noises. :) The downsizing has just been a way of getting some order to things.
I think that's still a totally valid use of time. You have to get to know your tools, bond with them. I still sometimes sit at a piano and just "plinky plonking" away the hours (and I've been doing that for over 50 years now!). It's therapeutic for me, healing even. I do the same with my hardware synths and Eurorack. I feel time spend "bonding" with the instruments is just as valuable as time spent finishing a song. It still counts as "progress" in my art for me.

The thing I have to watch out for is when I no longer have joy from just sitting and doing the plinky plonking thing. That would be a sad day indeed!
I always think that that’s the thing which separates the people who play an instrument from people who say they wish they could play an instrument but they don’t have the patience to learn. It’s the joy taken in the plinky plonking. When I got my first guitar before I could play anything I’d pick it up without thinking and play away. It was never a chore. Never something I felt I had to do. I never thought “now I’d better do some practicing”. It was just natural to have it in my hand. Even today I walk around the house and pick up whatever instrument is to hand and play as I’m going about in life. As you say it is therapy and the instrument (without trying to sound hippy) actually is an extension of myself. It’d be weird if it wasn’t there. :)
丰2ॐ

zoidkirb
Posts: 244
Joined: 18 Nov 2018

Post 30 Dec 2019

selig wrote:
30 Dec 2019
MrFigg wrote:
29 Dec 2019
The previous low musical output was more as a result of having so many cool devices that I could sit for hours just plinky plonking away having a great old time making mental noises. :) The downsizing has just been a way of getting some order to things.
I think that's still a totally valid use of time. You have to get to know your tools, bond with them. I still sometimes sit at a piano and just "plinky plonking" away the hours (and I've been doing that for over 50 years now!). It's therapeutic for me, healing even. I do the same with my hardware synths and Eurorack. I feel time spend "bonding" with the instruments is just as valuable as time spent finishing a song. It still counts as "progress" in my art for me.

The thing I have to watch out for is when I no longer have joy from just sitting and doing the plinky plonking thing. That would be a sad day indeed!
Both sound design and plinky plonking around the keyboard are both highly educational and therapeutic for me.

I think that the trick to better productivity breaking it all down and time limiting things , for example: spend an hour just on sound design and then shut down Reason and have a break. Come back and focus purely on song writing/composition for an hour and then another break, followed by day 30 minutes of free form jamming or mixing.

It's hard to be disciplined like that especially when you have very limited time and I feel like I have to 'do all the things at once' to get value out of my precious time.
But it's something that's been starting to work for me recently.

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 662
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 30 Dec 2019

I limited myself to a C64 and made music on it. And the last six months have been the most productive and creative for me.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3504
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 31 Dec 2019

Needed a distortion. Blamsoft DC-1 back in the rack. Been gathering dust pretty much since I bought it but now, all of a sudden, memories of my old orange DS-1 came flooding back. Happy days.
丰2ॐ

pummelfee
Posts: 33
Joined: 24 Jun 2017

Post 16 Jan 2020

selig wrote:
29 Dec 2019
I feel it's about self control, the ability to sit and focus on the goal, and use the tools that best get you to your goal.
That's it!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests