What beginner electronic drum kit would you recommend?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
raymondh

19 Dec 2019

Hi drummers,

My 11 year old son is getting drum lessons next year. He's a rank beginner.

I'm looking at getting a beginner kit for home for him to practice, but I know nothing about drums at all :)

A number of places would rent / sell 'beginner' drum kits but most of what I've seen are acoustic sets.

Do you folks know if it's feasible to learn drums with an electronic kit, and have any suggestions for an entry-level set - given we don't know whether after a year he'll 'stick' with the instrument?

Thanks!

BRIGGS

19 Dec 2019

raymondh wrote:
19 Dec 2019
Hi drummers,

My 11 year old son is getting drum lessons next year. He's a rank beginner.

I'm looking at getting a beginner kit for home for him to practice, but I know nothing about drums at all :)

A number of places would rent / sell 'beginner' drum kits but most of what I've seen are acoustic sets.

Do you folks know if it's feasible to learn drums with an electronic kit, and have any suggestions for an entry-level set - given we don't know whether after a year he'll 'stick' with the instrument?

Thanks!
Maybe pickup a used Roland kit?
r11s

pushedbutton

19 Dec 2019

According to Dawson's your looking at these being the best starter options.

Aroma TDX-15
Alesis Turbo Mesh
Roland TD-1K
Alesis DM Nitro Mesh
Alesis Surge Mesh

I'd say having an electronic kit to start with will improve the chances of him sticking with it because he can use headphones any time. Bashing away at an acoustic kit with practice mats on won't give him the positive feedback that would encourage him to push through the learning curve, plus you'd probably want him to move to the garage for some peace once you realise how much noise an acoustic kit would make. If it doesn't work out at least you've got a nice midi controller for Reason - maybe you can do some stuff together with him.
I wish I'd had the opportunity to learn an instrument when I was a kid.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Baylo

19 Dec 2019

My son has learned quite successfully on a second hand Alesis Nitro kit (now updated by Alesis to be Nitro Mesh, I think). The sound module it comes with is quite basic, but as he’s progressed he now uses it to trigger the Alt Drums refill in Reason.

You can see some examples of it in use on his YouTube channel. The Metallica pieces use the original Alesis module. “Brothers in Arms” uses Alt Drums. You’ll also notice that over time he has added and additional tom and cymbal. His channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8VDwa ... -vADBMlQsQ

I would recommend this approach - especially if you can get a second hand kit so you don’t take a big hit if it doesn’t pan out and you need to resell it. Using headphones is great for him and us, just be careful your son is sensible with the volume levels. And be aware that although you won’t suffer hearing an acoustic kit, you will absolutely hear a lot of thwack thwack thwack!

Good luck!

bitley

20 Dec 2019

Begin sorting out which style of music he likes and go to a good music store with him to check what they have and what he likes. If you have somewhere he can practice real drums are the way to go but they are also extremely loud. Especially for him. Jazz drumming teaches how to play dynamically and musical as it doesn't have to cut through a wall of guitars.

xboix

20 Dec 2019

If he wants to be a drummer you absolutely must get him an acoustic set. He needs to learn the "bounce" and the feel of the real thing.
You can get rubber drum "mute pads" that will cut down on the volume on an acoustic set but they also take out some of the feel.

I'd suggest buying a cheap second-hand full-sized acoustic kit and a set of pads. The kit will easily sell on if he tires of it. The more practice he can do without using the pads the better we will get but a mix of pads and not pads will probably be the best.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2019

xboix wrote:
20 Dec 2019
If he wants to be a drummer you absolutely must get him an acoustic set. He needs to learn the "bounce" and the feel of the real thing.
You can get rubber drum "mute pads" that will cut down on the volume on an acoustic set but they also take out some of the feel.

I'd suggest buying a cheap second-hand full-sized acoustic kit and a set of pads. The kit will easily sell on if he tires of it. The more practice he can do without using the pads the better we will get but a mix of pads and not pads will probably be the best.
This.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

raymondh

20 Dec 2019

Thanks everyone that's really great advice and very helpful!

On the strength of the advice, we'll take him to the music store and try out some acoustic kits and the electronic ones recommended above.

BTW: @Baylo - had a look at your son's video - he's very talented! You must be very proud!

cheers!

Baylo

20 Dec 2019

raymondh wrote:
20 Dec 2019
BTW: @Baylo - had a look at your son's video - he's very talented! You must be very proud!
Thank you for the comment. It has been a source of great joy to me to see his progress. He started drumming 3 years ago at age 12, similar to your son. I’m sure you will get to experience the same sense of pride as your son develops his skills.

Enjoy your shopping trip!

motuscott

20 Dec 2019

I know nothing about electronic drums except that they’re only triggering, at best, a handful of samples from each pad as opposed to hundreds of sounds from a real drum or cymbal. But as I’ve said elsewhere, practicing real drums is a tough row to hoe to those regularly within hearing distance (thank you mom dad and sibs). That said, check out the options at a music store and if you go acoustic, then buy second hand. Acoustic drums lose over half their value once they leave the store and it’s easy to visually assess any damage a used set may have. May the force be with you!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Steedus
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2020

I only really have experience with a single higher end Roland kit, and I know when I was younger I would've loved an electronic kit, but I would say avoid them where possible. I bought a 2nd-from-the-top of the line kit for something like $4,000 (AUD) a couple of years ago and it's been utterly disappointing (I wasn't in a position to try one out before buying).

It's mostly made of cheap plastic, though my drums have skins on them which do feel more realistic than the rubber ones, but the sounds it came with are pretty dismal. Probably the equivalent of a $100 VSTi plugin. Also all the photos online proudly show "Made in Japan" on the drums, but everything on mine says Made in China.

You just can't beat a real drum kit. Even a dirt cheap one.

• Information