Soundcloud lossless update. bad for small artists

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
dan_g

04 Dec 2019

:puf_unhappy:

What do you guys think about the upcoming update on 9th of december?

Possible lossless uploads but limited to 3h or 15 Tracks in stead of 3h for free users.

I think this kills soundcloud for the small artists or labels. I personally have 17 tracks up already so i need to update to pro when wanting to upload more.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Loque

04 Dec 2019

Its ok. The sound quality was crap and nothing is for free in life...
Reason12, Win10

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Dec 2019

Also, Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself!

Dabbler

04 Dec 2019

i'm so small i'm almost invisible.
but they said.
To make lossless HD file management free to all, starting December 9th, our free upload limit will change from 3 hours of audio, to 3 hours or 15 tracks.
This will not impact existing uploads.

guitfnky

04 Dec 2019

stupid move, but hopefully it’ll give another streaming site a chance to break out with a better product. Soundcloud is widely accepted, but honestly not that great.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

dan_g

05 Dec 2019

Yeah that im hoping too.

Hearthis.at looks promising. Im curently trying it out. No track upload limit, instead a limit of 500mb per week mp3 uploads.

We'll see what happens on 9th
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2019

I actually went ahead and got the Pro upgrade. At first I was hesitant, but then I decided "Oh fuck it, let's just do it". The issues I've had with Soundcloud before seems to be gone now: bad sound quality, not being able to replace a song file without loosing all stats, upload time limit. And now it also works as a cloud function. I can download the original files in case something bad happens with my computer. So all in all. I think it's gonna be worth it.

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Dec 2019
I actually went ahead and got the Pro upgrade. At first I was hesitant, but then I decided "Oh fuck it, let's just do it". The issues I've had with Soundcloud before seems to be gone now: bad sound quality, not being able to replace a song file without loosing all stats, upload time limit. And now it also works as a cloud function. I can download the original files in case something bad happens with my computer. So all in all. I think it's gonna be worth it.
Me too! :D

Yonatan

05 Dec 2019

What benfits to to use Soundcloud? Is it merely for recognition (to get followers, more listeners or different collaborations)? How do you use it? Putting just a few tracks or using it as main streaming service?
I know it is used by many podcasts and audio companies, because it is friendly to link or embed. But for artists..? Why not other streaming places. What is it about SC that makes it a better choice? For free I can see a value but what is so great that one would want to pay for it? Are there any ways to make money on SC via streaming or other ways?
My question is serious and not rethoric. I had a few soundclips on SC but took it away. But I am willing to start to use it again if I see the benefits, especially as they allow higher quality audio.

Can Soundcloud pro unlimited be used instead of say Distrokid or other distributors?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2019

Yonatan wrote:
05 Dec 2019
What benfits to to use Soundcloud? Is it merely for recognition (to get followers, more listeners or different collaborations)? How do you use it? Putting just a few tracks or using it as main streaming service?
I know it is used by many podcasts and audio companies, because it is friendly to link or embed. But for artists..? Why not other streaming places. What is it about SC that makes it a better choice? For free I can see a value but what is so great that one would want to pay for it? Are there any ways to make money on SC via streaming or other ways?
My question is serious and not rethoric. I had a few soundclips on SC but took it away. But I am willing to start to use it again if I see the benefits, especially as they allow higher quality audio.

Can Soundcloud pro unlimited be used instead of say Distrokid or other distributors?
I think I just made the reasons to at least why I chose to get the Pro version. Read my earlier comment in the thread.
Also probably some lazyness on my part. I know how Soundcloud works. I have an account already. I don't really have the energy to go out searching for every other alternative.
Seems like most people here at RT use either Soundcloud or youtube for posting music. Just feels natural to go with the flow I guess.
In the past I've mostly used youtube because it had better sound quality, but now that's no longer the case. Also I'm too lazy to create a video for every song I create, even if it's just writing the title in the video.
I've also used Sounclick in the past. But I was mostly there for the forum part and that got removed so now that place feels dead to me. Also not as good sound quality as Soundcloud is currently.

Yonatan

05 Dec 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Dec 2019
I think I just made the reasons to at least why I chose to get the Pro version. Read my earlier comment in the thread.
Also probably some lazyness on my part. I know how Soundcloud works. I have an account already. I don't really have the energy to go out searching for every other alternative.
Seems like most people here at RT use either Soundcloud or youtube for posting music. Just feels natural to go with the flow I guess.
In the past I've mostly used youtube because it had better sound quality, but now that's no longer the case. Also I'm too lazy to create a video for every song I create, even if it's just writing the title in the video.
I've also used Sounclick in the past. But I was mostly there for the forum part and that got removed so now that place feels dead to me. Also not as good sound quality as Soundcloud is currently.
Thanks Tritone! :) Yes, convenience is as good reason as any. It was not too long ago there were talk in here about how long SC would continue to exist. I am glad to see that they keep moving it, and allows HD upload. I can imagine SC has a large number of users, so it makes sense to be there with some tunes at least. Anyone can say to anyone in the world "check me up on Soundcloud under name X and connect if you wish". An alternative to facebook. The social dimension of SC seem worth a lot.

rgdaniel

05 Dec 2019

Sounds like upload limits not changing after all. This just in from Soundcloud (email blast):
Earlier this week, we announced our intention to change our upload limit. We’ve spent the last few days since the announcement listening to you, learning from what you’ve said, and reflecting about what makes SoundCloud special as an open platform that helps creators of all types express themselves.

And we heard you. We’ve decided not to roll out the change to our free upload limits, and will continue to refine our balance of free and paid offerings to make the platform as creative and accessible as possible while building a sustainable business.

DougalDarkly

05 Dec 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Kalm

05 Dec 2019

Left it last year. Made me focus releasing music on other platforms. . . and SC users are picky in my genre.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

dan_g

06 Dec 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
05 Dec 2019
Sounds like upload limits not changing after all. This just in from Soundcloud (email blast):
Earlier this week, we announced our intention to change our upload limit. We’ve spent the last few days since the announcement listening to you, learning from what you’ve said, and reflecting about what makes SoundCloud special as an open platform that helps creators of all types express themselves.

And we heard you. We’ve decided not to roll out the change to our free upload limits, and will continue to refine our balance of free and paid offerings to make the platform as creative and accessible as possible while building a sustainable business.

jep seen that mail this morning in my inbox. good news that the bowed for the sake of the small users.

i will still stick with hearthis.at and try it out a little more. it feels almost like SC so no real difference there. also has some nice features that sc hasnt got.

Daniel

Yonatan

07 Dec 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
05 Dec 2019
Soundcloud's big problem is that nobody seems to know what it is or how best to use it. It's cloud storage for music - FFS the clue's in the name!

It was born as an alternative to services like dropbox, but with conveniences for music collaborators built-in, like a low-quality preview of your stored files with a handy waveform display.

When you use Soundcloud like it's intended, it works great. When you think it's Myspace, you complain - fools.
Well, SC dont really seem to know themselves what they are, and its a mixed bowl. As you describe above is an oversimplified explanation. It is far from just a dropbox service. Look at their premium, they offer distribution too. And it is like a community with social media aspects. Why should such myspacey attributions make people fools for seeing that dimension of it?
I find it very logical that SC is a bit hard to grasp.

Yonatan

07 Jan 2020

I just came remember why I do not like using Soundcloud. There is no volume control at whatever you listen to. I am one of those who may have several audio running at same time. A podd running while having a bit of music or Moodil atmospheric sounds for my bird etc. Yes I do pause them if need to focus on one source. But I use the volume slide on each audio source to balance them. But SC just lack the most basic function of all. Why is that? Is it in some kind of Apple way to be trendy "now we remove th headphone jack!"?

Loque

07 Jan 2020

Yonatan wrote:
07 Jan 2020
I just came remember why I do not like using Soundcloud. There is no volume control at whatever you listen to. I am one of those who may have several audio running at same time. A podd running while having a bit of music or Moodil atmospheric sounds for my bird etc. Yes I do pause them if need to focus on one source. But I use the volume slide on each audio source to balance them. But SC just lack the most basic function of all. Why is that? Is it in some kind of Apple way to be trendy "now we remove th headphone jack!"?
SC has volume control in desktop version. The mobile version is crap.
Reason12, Win10

Yonatan

07 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
07 Jan 2020
SC has volume control in desktop version. The mobile version is crap.
Holy grains, how could I miss that...thanks for correcting!
(I am sure I have seen and used it before but as seldom as I go there, I tend to forget that it hides at the bottom)
Yes, the mobile app has a few wishes left. :)

jam-s

07 Jan 2020

SC could implement any of these volume sliders here. :-]

• Information